Party of 5: August 2012 Dining Review with the Queen of Chicken Nuggets (With Pics)

Day 8's plan was to be my favourite, Chef Mickey's breakfast. I think out of all the meals this was the one 4/5 members of my family were looking forward to the most.

My mum, Amber, Jett and I headed out of our room with plans to catch the monorail at 10:00 for our 10:40 reservation at Chef Mickey's. First mistake, always give yourself an hour! My dad was right behind us as we were going to check out the gift shop at the Poly first. Mistake 2, dont split up from your group unless you have every base covered! After we browsed and got a scrapbook kit and photo album sent to our room we headed upstairs to meet my dad at the monorail. Well my dad was nowhere to be seen AND the monorail was down... FANTASTIC.

They were not sure when it would be up and running but said to go to the front desk for what our options were at that point. Well, after 15 minutes of waiting my dad was still nowhere to be seen. We had planned on meeting right there so where on earth did he go? Note, as Canadians we did not have cell phones so had no way of contacting one another. There was no way he passed us as we were standing right there, right? We decided to send my mum down to the lobby to see what our options were and call the room... no answer. We decided that we were going to just head out on the bus (they were doing runs between GF, TTC, MK and then Contemporary) and were really worried as we were told Breakfast reservations only went to 11.... they actually go to 11:30 (and then you can stay there until 2 if you really want).

So we hopped on the bus (was about a 25 minute ride and we arrived at 11:05). At this point we were frazzeled, still minus one member of our group and I was devestated that we missed our reservation/ couldnt have breakfast.

We sprinted through Contemporary lobby went upstairs to see who sitting there, my dad. He had heard that the monorail was down and figured that we would have just taken the bus. :confused3 Really, you think we would have just taken off? Do you realize the stress you have caused? :furious:

Thankfully the CM at the entrance was lovely, let us know all the details and sat us at a great table right beside the buffet. Yeah! :cool1:

Now onto the food and experience at Chef Mickeys!
:donald:pluto:::MinnieMo:earboy2:

77b71b6b.jpg

We had so much fun here. They character interaction was amazing, our waitress was friendly and got our drinks prompty (even went to the kitchen to grab some milk for Amber since she is not a juice fan) and the food was the best! There were SO many options oatmeal, eggs (including hard boiled, hooray), waffles, pancakes, meats, fruits, croissants, french toast, quiche, the most amazing cheesy shredded potatoes I have had in my life :rotfl2:, cinnamon buns, cottage cheese, and a great dessert section (among many others). I again had some trouble getting a picture of everyones plate since we were distracted by the characters and all went up to the buffet at different times but I gave it a shot!

Even Amber was able to find some things that she liked. She had a Mickey waffle, a pancake, a croissant and some dessert items. I missed a picture of my dads plates but I recall him having an assortment of food, most that involved some sort of meat!

The pictures below are of my mums first plate, Jett's first plate and my 2 plates. Again the food tasted awesome, there was such a variety and it was all hot and fresh tasting... nothing had been sitting out.

3d5dbacb.jpg

80246636.jpg

06f75bf1.jpg

e2e617d2.jpg

While Amber and Jett enjoyed the dessert table the adults were all too stuffed so I just took a picture!

a33596c1.jpg

A picture of Minnie Mouse signing our Autograph Page. Just a tip with this and the other character buffets. What we did was get a DISign for each restaurant including the character ones from the Creative DISign forum and had the characters sign. These will be great for the scrapbooks and the characters spent extra time noting themselves in the "invite"! Was a really fun extra that I had seen someone give as a tip!

68c70d9f.jpg

Overall Chef Mickey's (despite all the stress beforehand) turned out to be everyones #1 and I would highly recommend, especially for Breakfast since the options were so vast!

After a sad goodbye to Magic Kingdom, sad music playing from the speakers, tears and all we decided to grab another late supper at Captain Cooks. Again, everyone at the Polynesian had the same though, quite a few people seemed to be leaving the next day as well - based on conversations in the restaurant.

For dinner my mum ordered the same Adult Grilled Cheese and enjoyed it just as much - she said again the cheese was perfectly gooey, toasted and the fries tasted a bit better. My dad ordered the Bacon Cheeseburger again and said it tasted even better than the first one! :thumbsup2

Amber and Jett both ordered the Kids Chicken Nuggets with 2 sides of Chocolate chip cookies for dessert (one for now and the other for flight home). Despite the fact that they were the hockey pucks both Amber and Jett scarfed them down!

41934af4.jpg

I decided to switch it up, despite the fact that I loved the Grilled Cheese I wasnt a fan of the fries so wanted something different. I chose the Grilled Vegetable Flatbread which had a pesto sauce as the base. It tasted really good (flatbread wasnt overdone, the pesto was nice and the cheese was gooey). That being said I was really underwhelmed with the amount of grilled vegetables - I think there were 10 small pieces of red peppers and mushrooms so really didnt taste them too much. I wish there were, not only, more vegetable but more assortment (maybe some onions, tomatoes, zucchini etc.).

203e2f14.jpg

Overall was a good meal to end the day! In the morning we thankfully had a CS left on our Free DDP so we grabbed some breakfast, again at Captain Cooks, there and to go before our 9am trip on Magic Express :sad:

So my dining report has come to an end. I would like to thank those of you who have followed and hope you have enjoyed! If anyone continues to have any questions or comments please feel free to post!

I may consider doing a trip report and sharing... we will see. If I do I welcome you to join in!

So here it goes :sad:

Our last morning we, as mentioned, had to take the Magical Express pretty early in the morning. Thankfully we had counter service meals left over so were able to get breakfast before we left.
We had 5 meals left We would have had 6 but the night before my dad grabbed 2 Bacon Cheeseburger meals from Captain Cooks, little piggie lol.

My brother ordered the Kids Mickey Waffles with a side of fruit and yogurt cup. As well as an apple juice. We only had about 15 minutes so he didnt quite finish (we saved for the airport and he ate before we went through security). He said it was yummy and again loved that it was Mickey! He didnt particularily like the mixed fruit, was mostly melons.

a39ebdfe.jpg

I ordered the Croissant Sandwich, just egg and cheese. It was really good! The croissant was soft and buttery tasting, the egg was perfectly cooked and the cheese, well it was cheese lol. The picture is not the greatest...pretty blurry, I appologize.

3a0968da.jpg

My sister ordered the Mickey Waffle with a side of Sausage (Jett ate those). She ate both ears and said she was full... again we saved for the airport. She said it was pretty good, which is a compliment coming from her!

1688db95.jpg

My mum ordered Tonga Toast (I believe it also came with a side of bacon). We also ordered an extra one for the road (I tried a couple of bites before we packed it up) and must say it tasted much better warm (although I cant say it was bad cold). I was looking forward to trying the Tonga Toast and it lived up to the expectation. The bread was soft, the bananas were perfectly gooey (even cold) and nice and sweet! I have since tried to make at home and as the kids would say it was an "epic fail"!

344d6e69.jpg

Overall, was a great way to end our trip! We were able to try some fantastic food and some more average. I dont regret any of it though. Was a fantastic vacation, made extra special by the food we got to enjoy! :thumbsup2

You should definitely do a trip report no better way to relive the memories until its time to plan again!

I enjoyed reading your review! Thanks so much :)

You should definitely do a trip report no better way to relive the memories until its time to plan again!

Thank you for the review! It was a blust to read, I hope you do the trip report. :)

Thank you so much for sharing!!

Thank you all for reading, I appreciate it and glad you enjoyed! I am seriously considering doing a trip report, they look like fun! Keep your eyes open :)

Okay, so I am convinced. Have decided to start a trip report!
Wish me luck... link is in my signature

Thanks for posting a great food report! I'm going in 9 days with my 4 year old princess and eating at a few of the places you went to. It's good to see pics of the food beforehand, since little princess only eats bread, rice and crackers for the most part.

Great food report .. those dole whips I cannot wait to taste! :yay:

My DD 3 is a real healthy eater & only eats chicken and fish so I'm worried about the kids meals as there is no way I am letting her eat those hockey pucks that are supposed to be nuggets! They look awful and gawd knows what's in them!

Off to read your other report now ... :wave2:

Edit to add: DD also eats all her vegetables and pastas and rice & potatoes and noodles etc etc ..not JUST chicken & fish lol!

Thanks for posting a great food report! I'm going in 9 days with my 4 year old princess and eating at a few of the places you went to. It's good to see pics of the food beforehand, since little princess only eats bread, rice and crackers for the most part.

Thanks for reading, sorry I didnt respond! Hope you had a wonderful trip!

Great food report .. those dole whips I cannot wait to taste! :yay:

My DD 3 is a real healthy eater & only eats chicken and fish so I'm worried about the kids meals as there is no way I am letting her eat those hockey pucks that are supposed to be nuggets! They look awful and gawd knows what's in them!

Off to read your other report now ... :wave2:

Edit to add: DD also eats all her vegetables and pastas and rice & potatoes and noodles etc etc ..not JUST chicken & fish lol!

Oh Dole Whips are heaven in a cup! I hope you are able to find something that your daughter enjoys from the kiddies menu (if you eat at buffets there are usually great options for everyone). :thumbsup2
Thanks for taking a look at my TR, I am not nearly as active on it as I was on this one... just havent had time to sit down and write although it is not for lack of trying lol. I need some pixiedust: to get it completed ::yes::

Hi :wave: I just looked at all your yummy pictures!! I didn't read every word but, what would you say was your favorite restaurant/meal/thing to eat?

Hmm, that is a tricky questions and I would absolutely say that everyone would have a completely different opinion.
My favourite counter service would no doubt be Sunshine Seasons (my sandwich and dessert), the portion size and quality is beyond compare.
For the sit down meal I am having a REALLY hard time deciding... it was really all pretty amazing :worship: . That being said if I had to chose to eat somewhere everyday I would chose Chef Mickeys for breakfast (I love my breaky and there was a good amount of options for veggie me) and for lunch/ dinner I would chose The Plaza restaurant. Although it does not have all the bells and whistles I feel that the food tasted the best and there were great portion sizes as well.

Hmm, that is a tricky questions and I would absolutely say that everyone would have a completely different opinion.
My favourite counter service would no doubt be Sunshine Seasons (my sandwich and dessert), the portion size and quality is beyond compare.
For the sit down meal I am having a REALLY hard time deciding... it was really all pretty amazing :worship: . That being said if I had to chose to eat somewhere everyday I would chose Chef Mickeys for breakfast (I love my breaky and there was a good amount of options for veggie me) and for lunch/ dinner I would chose The Plaza restaurant. Although it does not have all the bells and whistles I feel that the food tasted the best and there were great portion sizes as well.

I enjoyed your thread so much, I just sat here and went through it all again! :rotfl:

I am planning to go to DW this fall and am already thinking of which restaurants I want to hit. After reading your thread again, here's my list:

Breakfast: Chef Mickey's

Sit down: Sci Fi for the shrimp pasta

Counter serve: Restantasaurus for the stinky sandwich! :goodvibes

Sunshine Seasons for the flat bread sandwich.

And, I want a pretzel with cream cheese and a Dole whip!!

You mentioned debating over the Coral Seas. It's one of my favorites. I think your parents would enjoy the steak that I had there. YUM!!!

IMG_0279.jpg

I am glad that I have inspired some choices for you lol :lmao:

I do think we would have liked Coral Reef, we went on our last trip to Disney and loved the atmosphere of it. That steak looks nicely cooked as well!

BTW, I click on your link:

Disney World - August 2012 - Trip Report
Picky Eaters, Sore Feet, Hurricanes...After 6 Yrs Nothing will get in our way!

but, it doesn't seem to go anywhere.

BTW, I click on your link:

Disney World - August 2012 - Trip Report
Picky Eaters, Sore Feet, Hurricanes...After 6 Yrs Nothing will get in our way!

but, it doesn't seem to go anywhere.

Oh really hmm... I will have to check on that after work today. Cheers!

Hi, I followed your link when I spotted it in your signature when I saw you in the "Where in the World" photography thread...and so glad I did!! Great dining report, a lot of it looked so tempting! Made me miss Disney World food! :sad:

The tonga toast looks fantastic, I can't believe I haven't tried it yet! This has inspired me to think about creating a dining review myself :goodvibes:

When you mentioned your attempt to recreate Tonga toast, that reminded me of when my sister and I attempted to recreate Zebra Domes (from AKL). That was tough!

:eek:

Thanks for checking it out. I love taking pictures of food (I do whenever we go out, it's crazy I admit but....)

We were so happy with the dining. Have tried to make Tonga toast on a couple of occasions now and most recently it turned out pretty good (nowhere near Tonga from the Poly but not bad). Oh the zebra domes that would be tricky! On our last trip to Disney we ate at Boma and even though it was 6.5 years ago I still remember them.

Glad to see you enjoyed the Dining thread, see you in WITW :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter