Party of 5: August 2012 Dining Review with the Queen of Chicken Nuggets (With Pics)

Hello again Everyone!
The next couple of pictures are really not that exciting. We grabbed supper at 10:45 and didnt start eating until after 11 so forgot about the pictures until last minute. :faint:
After we arrived back to the hotel we were SO hungry so decided to grab a really late supper from Captain Cooks (Polynesian CS). Apparently our entire resort was thinking the same thing since it was PACKED!

Amber ordered the Kids Chicken Hockey Pucks, err Nuggets. I think she was even getting sick of these. Jett ordered the Kids Grilled Cheese and really liked. Both got fries and 2 chocolate chip cookies. They scarfed down so quickly I didnt even get a picture - I am certain you can imagine!

My dad ordered the 1/3 Angus Bacon Cheeseburger. As you will see he also started eating too quickly but here is the reminents of his sandwich. For dessert he enjoyed the White Chocolate Macadaimia Chip Cookie. He said it was really good and soft even, despite getting at the restaurants closing!

551cc45c.jpg

My mum and I both ordered the Adult Grilled Cheese. It is... "Served on multigrain sunflower bread with cheddar, Swiss, and blue cheese, frisee, and tomato" from WDWinfo site. It was deliciousness. Now I am a grilled cheese aficionado; if I could eat this at every meal I would. I have had my fare share of restaurant "adult" grilled cheese so I will say it takes a lot to impress me and well.... I was VERY impressed! The combination of cheeses went together perfectly, the sunflower bread was a great bread. I dont really remember tasting the frisee (actually had to look up what that was :confused3 ) The fries were pretty boring, imo, didnt have much taste to them. My mum says "I agree" lol.

This picture unfortunately does not do the sandwich justice, it deserved so much more!

b6e03b20.jpg

Well we are more than 1/2 way done :sad: which actually makes me sad that my review is coming close to an end. Up next will be some more Electric Umbrella and La Cantina (CS) and a changed reservation to The Plaza (TS).

Oops, I forgot my mum and I also both ordered the brownie with mickey head sprinkles. It was really moist, chocolatey and a nice sugar rush right before going to sleep lol.

I'm so glad you liked the vegetable sandwich at Restaurantosaurus, because I'm planning on ordering that soon! :laughing: Don't worry about missing the sweet potato fries though, they were recently taken off the menu. So, so sad about that and the shrimp po'boy!

That Pooh photo is completely adorable! And I wouldn't mind that delicious-looking white chocolate macadamia cookie from Capt. Cook's right about now!

I'm so glad you liked the vegetable sandwich at Restaurantosaurus, because I'm planning on ordering that soon! :laughing: Don't worry about missing the sweet potato fries though, they were recently taken off the menu. So, so sad about that and the shrimp po'boy!

That Pooh photo is completely adorable! And I wouldn't mind that delicious-looking white chocolate macadamia cookie from Capt. Cook's right about now!

Oh, that is too bad. I did notice that the Shrimp Po Boy was gone... I was wanting to order that when I was looking up menus online. Boo! I have heard that Columbia Harbour House has a great one!

Thanks :) The White Chocolate Macadamia Nut cookie did look very good!

We are nearing the end...only 1 full day and breakfast and then all done :sad:

On Day 7 of our trip we went back to Epcot to enjoy a day minus the ponchos! We didnt need to worry about the rain, it was boiling! :blush: We were all fairly burnt by mid-afternoon! The plan today was to check out Innovations, which is awesome and then snack around World Showcase... If you saw the initial snack post you know that this did not happen.

As I mentioned we bolted through WS only stopping for some photo ops, a pearl from Japan which was lost on our way home :sad: , stopping for a washroom break at Rose and Crown (which made me smile since it is so much like The Rovers on Coronation Street, wonder if anyone knows that I am talking about) and exploring Epcots interesting rendition of Canada.

Enough blabbering emteach get to the food... okay, okay.

Today we split up for lunch I was feeling something different and wanted to try somewhere in World Showcase. My dad, Amber and Jett went back to the old standard Electric Umbrella. I snatched a picture of the menu (in case anyone forgets what chicken looks like ;) ), think people would have thought me insane if I started taking pictures of their plates.

56db914d.jpg

My mum and I were debating between Lotus Blossom, Yokshire County Fish and Chips, La Cantina de San Angel or Tangerine Cafe. Well since the title gives it away you know what we decided on. We were so hungry and already overheated so decided whatever was closest, a decision we would not regret!

At La Cantina my mum and I grabbed a seat outside by the water, we then found out there was an inside and quickly moved there.

A view of the inside.
30ab695b.jpg

It was so quiet and peaceful, I wonder if anyone didnt realize there was an inside since it was sort of hidden away. They had traditional Mexican music playing in the background as well which was a fun extra.

My mum ordered the Tacos de Carne which was beef brisket on corn tortillas, Pico de Gallo and served with corn chips. She ordered, but of course the Pom. Lemonade to drink. It had a lot of meat and she was happy it was not ground beef. The tortillas were also not soggy and fresh tasting, you could tell they were homemade. The corn chips were also great tasting, although neither of us ate the entire plate. This was one CS that we were stuffed after.

e0ab23b5.jpg

I had the Empanadas de Queso - corn dough filled with Chihuahua cheese (a soft cheese) with green sauce on top. The green sauce was fairly mild but tasted delicious and the the empanadas were perfectly cooked, not overdone and the cheese was nice and warm. I agree I also really liked the corn chips and loved the fact that there were small containers with Mild Tomato and Spicy Green salsa!

As you can see we both got Churros con Cajeta. I have NEVER had churros before, what was I missing! These are amazing. We both found the carmel sauce a little watery but it still had great flavour!

b635d361.jpg

I would say this was definately my mum and my favourite CS of the trip. It was cool, quiet and the food was fabulous!

Glad to see a review of la cantina. I don't see much about that CS location on the boards. How had you never had a churro before?! It's one of my standard Disney snacks, but also will get them at other amusement parks and festivals. Yum!

Glad to see a review of la cantina. I don't see much about that CS location on the boards. How had you never had a churro before?! It's one of my standard Disney snacks, but also will get them at other amusement parks and festivals. Yum!

I noticed that as well. I dont know if it is overlooked since it is a bit smaller but we loved it.

I dont know, crazy eh. I have heard of them but never tried them lol. I was in love though :love: Now have to find a Mexican place where we live and check out local carnivals.

Where is this indoor seating area? Everytime I've gone near the place the outside area is packed and its so hot out there. I can't picture where a different seating area could be.

Where is this indoor seating area? Everytime I've gone near the place the outside area is packed and its so hot out there. I can't picture where a different seating area could be.

The outdoor seating is on the right and the ordering station is to the left. If you were to keep walking straight through there is a large wooden (I believe) door on the left (past the ordering section). Hope that makes sense. It is in a really weird spot, we only knew it existed because I asked the CM serving us if there was indoor seating.

I thought that was La Hacienda and you weren't allowed in there when they weren't open. I wonder if that's why it was so empty. What a great tip. That's a great place to get a break from the heat.

I thought that was La Hacienda and you weren't allowed in there when they weren't open. I wonder if that's why it was so empty. What a great tip. That's a great place to get a break from the heat.

Hmm, I didnt even know that. There were literally 5 other families in there with us so perhaps everyone else was thinking the same thing as you.

It was fantastic in there, as I mentioned, so beautiful, quiet, nice music and most importantly air conditioned! It also had a beautiful view of the WS Lake.

Day 7 was a change in plans. Originally we had Coral Reef booked, which we ummed and ahhed about. Other than me no one is really a big fan of fish and our last experience, albeit 6 years ago, at CR was not the greatest. Our main reason for making the reservations was the atmosphere and view of the fish. Toward the end of our vacation we realized we hadnt seen the Light Show in Magic Kingdom and today was the last day we could see it, so we decided to change our reservations.

As most people know getting a reservation the day of is really tricky! There were some time slots at Epcot but none of them tickled our fancy, there was also one for Sci-Fi but time wise it would have been pushing it (and we had already eaten there). The CM at conceirge was fantastic and knowledgeable about all the restaurants he suggested. We finally decided on The Plaza since it was right on Main Street, how perfect was that!

32249956.jpg

We arrived about 15 minutes before our reservation time and that is when we knew our plan was foiled! It was 6:45 and people were already lining the streets, uh oh! I suggested that I grab a seat and skip dinner, no one liked my plan and we just crossed our fingers and hoped for the best. I will spare you the suspense and tell you that when we left The Plaza Main Street was jammed packed; we stood outside the restaurant for the first 5 minutes to watch but we soon realized that we were not going to be able to see it very well and Jett was getting slightly stir crazy. He also has some sensory issues so was getting overwhelmed with the crowd. We ended up heading over to Tomorrowland (that dessert party looks Heavenly :cloud9: , next time!) and had the land almost to ourselves. We got to ride Space Mountain, see Monster Inc. Laugh Floor, ride the Tomorrowland Transit Authority twice and try Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin (all in about 45 minutes!).

Well again, enough blabber. I appologize... as you can tell I am a woman of few words :lmao: There will only be one more story, I promise, for Day 8.
So onto the food!!!

When we sat down we realized how The Plaza was. It is smaller than most CS places but we were seated pretty quickly. Our waitress was friendly but we also felt that she rushed us and wanted us out of there asap; we didnt abide though and enjoyed our dinner.

To start Jett ordered the Kids Grilled Cheese with a side of grapes. He said is was really good! For some reason I didnt snap a picture but I did get one of his dessert. He ordered the Mickeylodeon and ate every last bite. It was so cute, especially with the Mickey ears :goodvibes

I appologize that it is sideways... Photobucket wouldnt let me save it rightside up. :confused:

7a807f76.jpg

Amber scoured the adult menu and but of course could not find something to her liking... a shock I know. She was going to bite the bullet and order the grilled chicken sandwich but thought she would check the kids menu first. She ended up asking about the Grilled Cheese and our waitress said she could put in an order for the "Junior Grilled Cheese"; I had heard that some restaurants are willing to do this for guests. Basically it was the Kids Grilled cheese but double decker style so a larger portion. She said it was really tasty, I tried a bite and agreed! Was a basic GC but cooked really nicely. She ordered with a side of the homemade chips - they were great!

c1162e88.jpg

For dessert she ordered ice cream. Just a bowl of ice cream, no bells and whistles. She ate about 3 bites but said she was too full.

My mum ordered the Cheese Steak Sandwich. Now this is one of her favourite types of sandwich and she has had some great ones so she had pretty high expectations. She said the beef was tender, the bun was not overtoasted and the mushrooms/onions/red peppers were perfectly cooked. She also said she liked that it was red peppers not green since she prefers those.

Sorry not the greatest picture. Hey, is that Perry?
94d6ee38.jpg

For dessert she ordered the New York Style Cheesecake. She enjoyed it!

e438d971.jpg

My dad ordered the Angus Chuck Cheeseburger with bacon, American Cheese and mushrooms. He said is was well done and the toppings were great! It was a burger so as long as there was no pink he would have been good I think!

dbdb5e87.jpg

I ordered the Vegetable Burger as I noticed in fine print they can make those as well! Yeah, I hadnt had a veggie burger in a couple of days so was looking forward. Our waitress seemed confused when I asked if I could order any toppings on mine... she said "you want bacon on your veggie burger?" No clearly I do not want bacon but one of the other 4 topping choices :thumbsup2 I ended up getting the American Cheese, Grilled mushrooms and onions. It was really good and again actual veggies, not soy! I will tollerate soy brugers but much prefer when it is ground vegetables! The toppings were also very fresh tasting. The fries, although not many, were perfectly cooked as well.

I loved the little cups with the condiments in them too, cute addition.

a0ce7702.jpg

For dessert my dad and I both ordered the Banana Split. Awwwww :cloud9:
It was "chocolate, vanilla and strawberry ice cream topped with hot fudge, strawberry sauce, crushed pineapple, chopped nuts, whipped cream and a cherry" Everything about this was delicious, incredible, amazing, wonderful and most definately my FAVOURITE dessert. I loved that there was pineapple as well. As much as I wanted to I couldnt finish so my dad ate the rest of mine.

Just a tip - the nuts on top are not peanuts, as I expected, they are actually walnuts. Problem with this is I am allergic not walnuts and pecans... not anaphalactic allergic but sensitive. I pushed them to the side and was fine, although I think I may have eaten 2 or 3 as my mouth was a bit itchy.

c1d3e9ca.jpg

Overall The Plaza was fantastic and would highly recommend. It is really affordable as well for people not on the dining plan so with that I imagine books pretty solid. The dinners range in price from 10.99-16.99 and desserts from 4.69-7.99. To me these seem really reasonable prices, especially in Disney!

Up next our last park day, Chef Mickey's Adventure and Captain Cooks!

I noticed that as well. I dont know if it is overlooked since it is a bit smaller but we loved it.

I dont know, crazy eh. I have heard of them but never tried them lol. I was in love though :love: Now have to find a Mexican place where we live and check out local carnivals.

I have been in search of a good Mexican place here but to no avail...

Hmm, I didnt even know that. There were literally 5 other families in there with us so perhaps everyone else was thinking the same thing as you.

It was fantastic in there, as I mentioned, so beautiful, quiet, nice music and most importantly air conditioned! It also had a beautiful view of the WS Lake.

When we went to cantina it was in the middle of a storm. We got a little wet but not bad. Wished known there was other seating!!! It was probably full. I was really looking forward to cantina and it did not disappointing had the nachos I believe and I inquired about the green sauce. The meal was delish but I got so sick that night and part of the next day. Up half the night with cramps. I guess it just did not agree with me!

I have been in search of a good Mexican place here but to no avail...

Boo, you would know as well. I have looked as well and nothing. We have a close family friend who is Mexican, maybe she can made me some supper ;) lol or have advice I suppose.

When we went to cantina it was in the middle of a storm. We got a little wet but not bad. Wished known there was other seating!!! It was probably full. I was really looking forward to cantina and it did not disappointing had the nachos I believe and I inquired about the green sauce. The meal was delish but I got so sick that night and part of the next day. Up half the night with cramps. I guess it just did not agree with me!

Oh no! Thats no fun...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!