parks after cruise... timing etc

Lisa F

is a very wise woman
So we are going to have one last day at Disney the Friday after we get off of our 4-night Dream cruise before flying home on Saturday.

What is the earliest you think we could possibly roll into one of the parks (either MK or AK) and what would we have to do upon debarkation to make that happen? Any tips for getting off the ship quickly and best place to park that is quick to get to your car?

It will help with timing of the rest of the day... I won't cut any FP+ or ADRs too close but just wondering what we can realistically plan on!

I think a lunch ADR is a possibility, but not breakfast. You're looking at 60-75 minutes driving from PC to destination once you're out. You'll also need to clear customs. You'll want to be ready to get off when they start allowing it if you want to get some pre-lunch time in, and I'd save the FP+ for after lunch.

Debarkation and customs is a little like ME from the airport -- it can start behind schedule.

I think a lunch ADR is a possibility, but not breakfast. You're looking at 60-75 minutes driving from PC to destination once you're out. You'll also need to clear customs. You'll want to be ready to get off when they start allowing it if you want to get some pre-lunch time in, and I'd save the FP+ for after lunch.

Debarkation and customs is a little like ME from the airport -- it can start behind schedule.
so how long does that whole process take? I haven't cruised in 12 years, it's been a while!

We had second seating so we had the second seating breakfast. We moved at a leisurely pace disembarking from the Dream, went through customs and all that jazz, got our luggage, loaded onto the bus and had to wait maybe 20-30 minutes for it to fill up. We were the first stop (POR), reworked some of our things in our luggage and gave the bags to bell services (room not ready) and hopped on the bus to Epcot, and we were having lunch at Sunshine Seasons at 11:30.

We had second seating so we had the second seating breakfast. We moved at a leisurely pace disembarking from the Dream, went through customs and all that jazz, got our luggage, loaded onto the bus and had to wait maybe 20-30 minutes for it to fill up. We were the first stop (POR), reworked some of our things in our luggage and gave the bags to bell services (room not ready) and hopped on the bus to Epcot, and we were having lunch at Sunshine Seasons at 11:30.

Good info! Yeah I was estimating noon, to be a safe. If you have you're own car waiting for you at port then I reckon you might get there a bit sooner than this not having to wait for a bus, but then again you would lose a little time parking at the park..

If you want to be first off and motor to the parks, they usually start disembarkation around 7:30. BYOBags (Express Walk Off). Generally, unless something is weird, you'll be allowed off between 7:30-8AM.

Cabanas is generally open 6:30/7ish; early seating breakfast is usually 6:45AM; late is 8AM.

Customs should be quick unless you end up behind someone who is a problem child.

From there, it's a matter of getting to your car, then getting rolling and dealing with whatever traffic/construction there is. If everything goes well and you do Express Walk Off, you could be parking at AK or the TTC by about 9:15 I reckon.

I'd do breakfast before hitting the road, though, even if you keep your bags with you (have to be out of cabin by 8). Because coffee helps. But that is my personal position.

I read that as "that is my PROFESSIONAL position." LOL

But I agree, if you WANT to get to the parks early, you can do it. Coffee definitely helps.
It's totally my professional position, too. I don't like operating without coffee. Let alone driving in Florida traffic decaf!

We were off the ship just before 8am (had to find luggage) got through customs at 8:20, on bus and pulled away 8:30 (we were one of the last to board)
You'll be able to skip the 3 stops we did at the hotels for drop offs, got to contemporary just before 10 - we were inside magic kingdom at 11am.

Tip - go to the bathroom BEFORE you leave the ship. I had to go and waited until after customs and after customs is the one lone bathroom at the entrance to the parking garage. :oops:

If you want to be first off and motor to the parks, they usually start disembarkation around 7:30. BYOBags (Express Walk Off). Generally, unless something is weird, you'll be allowed off between 7:30-8AM.

Cabanas is generally open 6:30/7ish; early seating breakfast is usually 6:45AM; late is 8AM.

Customs should be quick unless you end up behind someone who is a problem child.

From there, it's a matter of getting to your car, then getting rolling and dealing with whatever traffic/construction there is. If everything goes well and you do Express Walk Off, you could be parking at AK or the TTC by about 9:15 I reckon.

I'd do breakfast before hitting the road, though, even if you keep your bags with you (have to be out of cabin by 8). Because coffee helps. But that is my personal position.

Bumping up a 7 month old thread because now my cruise is in a bit more than a month and stuff is getting real.

How much time does it add to not use express walk off and let Disney manage the bags?

We have early seating. Will do breakfast in the dining room, my dad does not like buffets.

We are renting a car from Alamo.

We are driving to the Polynesian with my parents, I am dropping our luggage with bell services and my parents are keeping the car for their return to the airport for a 5pm flight and leaving us at WDW. My parents have a handicap permit so we'll probably valet at the Poly and they might stay there a bit and have lunch etc, but more likely they will go to Disney springs... if that's the case they won't park.

My plan is to walk over to TCC and hop on the monorail and go to Epcot.

I'd like to be walking through the gates at Epcot at around 10:30am. Doable WITHOUT using Express Walk Off? I'm a little unclear of the impact of letting them handle the luggage on timeline.

The other way it sounds like we could be at the Poly by say 9:30 and easily inside Epcot by 10:30 (probably earlier), but is it possible of Disney handles luggage?

Bumping up a 7 month old thread because now my cruise is in a bit more than a month and stuff is getting real.

How much time does it add to not use express walk off and let Disney manage the bags?
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that if you do not do express walk-off, you still need to find & collect your bags downstairs to go through customs, so it's not like you leave your bags out at night and they'll magically show up at your hotel.

The time-saver is that with Express walk-off you don't need to wait for your debarkation group to be called. I would bet that it saves at least 1/2 hour - could be significantly longer depending on what debarkation group you are in.

We used a porter who found our bags, maneuvered through customs and brought them to our car. It was very quick. Of course, customs could be different for everyone. We're Canadian, so passing through and not making claims. They just wanted to be sure we were allowed in the U.S. and would be leaving again. But if you are a resident/citizen, it might be different.

We took our time getting off the ship, but probably were off and on the road by 8:30ish. We got to Disney Springs around 10, I think and shopped for awhile before going over to our hotel. But we definitely had some morning time for the shopping. Hope that helps.

We have early seating. Will do breakfast in the dining room, my dad does not like buffets.

We are driving to the Polynesian with my parents, I am dropping our luggage with bell services and my parents are keeping the car for their return to the airport for a 5pm flight and leaving us at WDW. My parents have a handicap permit so we'll probably valet at the Poly and they might stay there a bit and have lunch etc, but more likely they will go to Disney springs... if that's the case they won't park.

I'd like to be walking through the gates at Epcot at around 10:30am. Doable WITHOUT using Express Walk Off? I'm a little unclear of the impact of letting them handle the luggage on timeline.

The other way it sounds like we could be at the Poly by say 9:30 and easily inside Epcot by 10:30 (probably earlier), but is it possible of Disney handles luggage?

Will your rental car be in the parking garage or do you need to go pick it up?

So we are going to have one last day at Disney the Friday after we get off of our 4-night Dream cruise before flying home on Saturday.

What is the earliest you think we could possibly roll into one of the parks (either MK or AK) and what would we have to do upon debarkation to make that happen? Any tips for getting off the ship quickly and best place to park that is quick to get to your car?

It will help with timing of the rest of the day... I won't cut any FP+ or ADRs too close but just wondering what we can realistically plan on!
You could certainly do breakfast at WDW after the cruise. We disembarked during Christmas week, December 29th, were picked up by a hired car around 8:45am, and had no problem leisurely strolling into the park, riding standby on Primeval Whirl (with a 15 minute wait) and then making a 10:40am breakfast at Tusker House. All while walking at a slow pace.

If we'd had our own car waiting in the parking garage, we would have arrived quite a bit earlier.

Last edited:
Just to get opinions....We will disembark the Wonder, get a rental car and head to a WDW Resort for breakfast. What's the earliest that we might arrive? Just don't want to miss my ADR time and also don't want to stand around waiting for my ADR time. TIA!

Not exactly what you asked...We used Disney transportation on our feb cruise. We were at the Poly shortly before 10 and I have a photo at Epcot entrance at 11. If you control when you can leave, I would think you should be able to be in Epcot before 11.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that if you do not do express walk-off, you still need to find & collect your bags downstairs to go through customs, so it's not like you leave your bags out at night and they'll magically show up at your hotel.

The time-saver is that with Express walk-off you don't need to wait for your debarkation group to be called. I would bet that it saves at least 1/2 hour - could be significantly longer depending on what debarkation group you are in.
Do you know what group you're in before the night before or do you need to decide before knowing what group you are in? I actually am at my parents' house now (we live in different states) and discussing.
We used a porter who found our bags, maneuvered through customs and brought them to our car. It was very quick. Of course, customs could be different for everyone. We're Canadian, so passing through and not making claims. They just wanted to be sure we were allowed in the U.S. and would be leaving again. But if you are a resident/citizen, it might be different.

We took our time getting off the ship, but probably were off and on the road by 8:30ish. We got to Disney Springs around 10, I think and shopped for awhile before going over to our hotel. But we definitely had some morning time for the shopping. Hope that helps.

Thanks! That does help, I am hoping to be walking in the gates at Epcot by 10:30 so it sounds like we could potentially do that. Would like to ride spaceship earth, test track and then have lunch at 11:30. If we are running tight on time I can move the spaceship earth FP+ later in the day so eat least hitting test track before lunch, then lunch at the mexican pavilion. We are staying at the Poly so would walk to TTC and monorail over after leaving luggage with bell services.

You could certainly do breakfast at WDW after the cruise. We disembarked during Christmas week, December 29th, were picked up by a hired car around 8:45am, and had no problem leisurely strolling into the park, riding standby on Primeval Whirl (with a 15 minute wait) and then making a 10:40am breakfast at Tusker House. All while walking at a slow pace.

If we'd had our own car waiting in the parking garage, we would have arrived quite a bit earlier.

Thanks, as I said above we have lunch planned for nearly an hour after your breakfast so I think we should be ok. Feeling confident about our plans now :) I know stuff can happen but not the end of the world if it does, but I'd like to try to plan for what we want to do.
Not exactly what you asked...We used Disney transportation on our feb cruise. We were at the Poly shortly before 10 and I have a photo at Epcot entrance at 11. If you control when you can leave, I would think you should be able to be in Epcot before 11.

Did it take you a whole hour to get from Poly to Epcot? I figured on it being about a half hour or so.

Thanks!

Just to get opinions....We will disembark the Wonder, get a rental car and head to a WDW Resort for breakfast. What's the earliest that we might arrive? Just don't want to miss my ADR time and also don't want to stand around waiting for my ADR time. TIA!

From what people are saying I think 10:30 would be safe, 10 might be possible but doesn't leave a lot of room for things to not go smoothly

From what people are saying I think 10:30 would be safe, 10 might be possible but doesn't leave a lot of room for things to not go smoothly[/QUOTE]

Thank you! This helps me plan effectively. Much obliged.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter