Park Reservations, tickets first, correct? Jan/Feb 2023 open yet?

nesser1981

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone, it's been nearly five years since our last Disney trip and I apologize if this has already been asked. I tried a forum search and couldn't find what I was looking for.

I need to purchase my tickets before making a park reservation, yes?

And, if I do that now, anyone know if late January/Early February is open for reservations?

Also, I read briefly on the Genie+ and I'm curious if anyone will correct me if I'm understanding it incorrectly.

Similar to the old fast past system (2018 was our last trip), only you paying a fee, and you can book one pass at a time from a list? Versus the three in advance and then one at a time after that was previously in place?

I want to start planning, but also don't want to drive the DH crazy. LOL! Condo, flights and rental are taken care of, so this is the last piece. Our daughter is graduating high school and will be celebrating 11 years cancer free for this trip. Might be the last time to Disney as our little family of 5. Don't want to miss anything. :).

Thank you for your help!

You can check park availability before purchasing your tickets. Disney is very clear about this and gives you a link when you go to purchase. I would think jan and feb are wide open right now. That being said, after you purchase tickets, check park availability until you are sure on what you want to reserve.
If you haven't already, download My Disney Experience. Explore. You have the right idea on Genie+. Pay a fee per person per day to bypass standby lines.

You are correct that you cannot make park reservations without linked tickets.
You can go to the website and check park availability without having tickets.

Hi everyone, it's been nearly five years since our last Disney trip and I apologize if this has already been asked. I tried a forum search and couldn't find what I was looking for.

I need to purchase my tickets before making a park reservation, yes?

And, if I do that now, anyone know if late January/Early February is open for reservations?

Also, I read briefly on the Genie+ and I'm curious if anyone will correct me if I'm understanding it incorrectly.

Similar to the old fast past system (2018 was our last trip), only you paying a fee, and you can book one pass at a time from a list? Versus the three in advance and then one at a time after that was previously in place?

I want to start planning, but also don't want to drive the DH crazy. LOL! Condo, flights and rental are taken care of, so this is the last piece. Our daughter is graduating high school and will be celebrating 11 years cancer free for this trip. Might be the last time to Disney as our little family of 5. Don't want to miss anything. :).

Thank you for your help!
Yes, you must have a ticket or annual pass in order to book a park reservation. I believe Disney is not currently selling tickets that start after January 4, 2023, at least for US and Canada residents, so almost no one should be able to make park reservations for those days yet. As it is, there are no parks that have all their park reservations booked for dates later than July 4. In other words, you have nothing to worry about yet. When you can and do buy your tickets, go ahead and make your park reservations. Genie+ is more complicated than "FastPass+ with a fee and book one-at-a-time from a list." Page 1 of the Everything Genie (etc.) thread is a good place to start learning about it.

P.S. In researching Genie+, be aware that any articles written or videos made before Thanksgiving week may have outdated information. The Genie+ rules have evolved with a big change having been made then.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter