Park hopper, early entry, OBB.. Oh my!

katyringo

DIS Veteran
Here is the scoop;

We currently have 5 day tickets, 1 park per day, with genie +. We go in October. We plan to go to OBB. We won't be using a ticket the day of OBB. We will have two full days in each park, OBB, and another half day at Disneyland.

About a week ago I decided to try and add the hopper. I ended up on hold for too long and got irritated and decided to keep my money lol. But here is my worry..

We don't want to use our DCA days on days there is OBB because we want night time entertainment/ nights in the park. So I am sure our disneyland days will be busier because the crowds will push there due to the party.

Then add early entry for resort guests. If they follow the previous schedule for that and OBB it will then ALSO push those folks to disneyland on party days.

So I am thinking about the hopper so we could start the park opposite.. but dang I hate that 1pm rule.

That's all.

It is probably worth it to try to add the hoppers for the flexibility, but I also hate the 1pm rule. You'll likely have less crowded DCA in the mornings of OBB as people avoid it, and only have to deal with the bigger crowds in the evening in DL. Either way, there will evening crowds though, both with the people who started in DL and the folks who are also hopping from DCA to DL because of OBB.

But with 5-day tickets, even if you don't end up getting hoppers, you should still be ok. Arrive early, use G+, and between 2 full days and your extra half day in DL you should still easily be able to do all the things :)

On a five- day ticket park hoppers work out to $12/day. I think that’s worth even if only for flexibility of nighttime entertainment and being able to hop to the other park in the afternoons. I do detest the 1pm park hopping restriction though. It’s so frustrating.

You’re probably going to have to cancel the original tickets and buy new ones with hoppers, which is annoying. But since your trip is so far out I would do it.

100% add the hopper. We had two OBB parties last year and 5 days in the park. It's exactly as you described. Hopefully the Halloween season is better this year, with more restaurants and other attractions/characters meet and greets open. It wasn't a great time last year. We are looking to avoid the holiday season entirely this year. Get the hopper and LL passes to help with the crowds.

Typically, I don't think hoppers are all that necessary, but during the OOB timeframe, I think they become much more valuable.

On a five- day ticket park hoppers work out to $12/day. I think that’s worth even if only for flexibility of nighttime entertainment and being able to hop to the other park in the afternoons. I do detest the 1pm park hopping restriction though. It’s so frustrating.

You’re probably going to have to cancel the original tickets and buy new ones with hoppers, which is annoying. But since your trip is so far out I would do it.
When I called the first time I got through right away but then had to be transferred to a manager.. and there where I waited and waited and waited.. I have a package through Disney with a really good price that isn't available anymore and I'm worried they will want to charge me the complete difference

if you are using genie plus, park hoppers are better now. Get that GotG lightning lane for later in the day the hop on over. Right now at noon on a Saturday, the return time is 8pm. We would be eating lunch in DL right now so pulling a pass for 8pm GotG would work out for later in the evening.

Here is the scoop;

We currently have 5 day tickets, 1 park per day, with genie +. We go in October. We plan to go to OBB. We won't be using a ticket the day of OBB. We will have two full days in each park, OBB, and another half day at Disneyland.

About a week ago I decided to try and add the hopper. I ended up on hold for too long and got irritated and decided to keep my money lol. But here is my worry..

We don't want to use our DCA days on days there is OBB because we want night time entertainment/ nights in the park. So I am sure our disneyland days will be busier because the crowds will push there due to the party.

Then add early entry for resort guests. If they follow the previous schedule for that and OBB it will then ALSO push those folks to disneyland on party days.

So I am thinking about the hopper so we could start the park opposite.. but dang I hate that 1pm rule.

That's all.
I got the hopper as being from overseas I wanted to double my changes of getting into a park. I couldn't think of anything worse than paying all that money for flights, accommodation, tickets and not being able to get in.

This has been an ongoing Disneyland dream of mine for years. I have a ticket but can't find the entrance or I don't have a ticket and can see Disneyland or I have a ticket and the park is about to close. (Aren't dreams strange).

Anyway we got hopper and as you know are going similar dates as you.

This is what I am thinking of doing.

Staying 6 nights off site and 2 nights at Disneyland hotel at the end of our stay.

How does the following sound?
Arrive Monday 10th October
No park day. A day of rest after a 12 hour flight from New Zealand and crossing the date line.

Tuesday 11th October
Disneyland (this is a given in as our first family trip to Disney and want to start where it all started).
Wednesday 12th October
Disneyland (as it's EMH at DCA if it stays the same and I have read that it's best to avoid the park with EMH or MM unless you are taking part).

Thursday 13th October
DCA (as it's MM, EMH at Disneyland if days stay the same).
Also it will be the day DCA closes early of OBB if days stay the same as last year.

Friday 14th October
Disneyland (as it's EMH at DCA if it stays the same)

Saturday 15th October it's our girls 7th Birthday
Disneyland (also if MM comes back on the same days then I will use it here as we have the 5 day park hopper still at play).

Sunday 16th October (check into Disneyland hotel)
DCA (use EMH here if still the same)

Monday 17th
DCA (use EMH here if still the same)

Tuesday 18th
Check out day and a character breakfast/shop before heading home.

It is so frustrating how hard Disney makes it to take our money sometimes. I do think you will be fine either way; hoppers give you that little bit of insurance and flexibility, but the phone line is such a mess these days I'd probably not bother with it.

It is so frustrating how hard Disney makes it to take our money sometimes. I do think you will be fine either way; hoppers give you that little bit of insurance and flexibility, but the phone line is such a mess these days I'd probably not bother with it.
The more I think and overthink I don't think we are going to add them. It won't help with the evening crowds. Another way to look at is that the parker hopper loses value on party nights because after the party starts you don't have access to DCA.

Replying to kirstyfly above:

From an obsessive compulsive Disneyland planner, this sounds like a great plan! Try to get OBB tickets, we had a ton of fun and it was a good experience from a crowded park. The days you are staying at a Disneyland hotel, make sure to do early entry whenever you can, you are correct that it gets packed later in the day. People make a plan to get in early, then don't make it but commit to the park anyway, in particular with reservations now.

Usually on OBB nights, DCA gets pretty packed instead. But not sure with all this reservation thing if that changes things.
In my opinion, 3 full days at DCA could be too much. Much more things to do at DL. DCA, you could really do in a day, especially if you rope drop.
Depends on the makeup of your party and what they like though.

Based on your current scenario, I would go with the Hopper option. Just to be on the safe side. It's frustrating, trust me, that's what I had to do on our last trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter