Park actual open times at rope drop

Gussie Granger 1969

Mouseketeer
We’ll be back in a month after a two year absence. I’m trying to get an idea of how things are now as far as park touring. On our last trip I recall rope drop was earlier than the posted opening time. Sometimes 10 minutes, sometimes 25. Are the parks still doing this and consistent about it? If so, which parks open early? Thank you!

When we were there 12/5-12/9, HS opened about 15 minutes before RD, Epcot about 20 (but held everyone at SE) and AK opened about 20 minutes early. I don't think it's a consistent time, but I would say about 15-20 minutes before opening is routine for those three parks.

Try to be standing in front of the tapstile 50 to 70 minutes before the official opening time for the best results.
MK can be a little different, here's why.....................When they have a 9am opening, they let people in about 60 minutes early to wander the streets and take in the atmosphere. They drop the internal spoke ropes after a quick castle show that ends at 9am.

Any sense if the inconsistent early openings are impacted by EMM? Like does Disney hold to the official opening time when there is an EMM?

:wizard:

Any sense if the inconsistent early openings are impacted by EMM? Like does Disney hold to the official opening time when there is an EMM?

An MK opening is (within a margin of error) always going to be the same general timing no matter what. For a 9am park opening, the castle show is at 8:55am, after which the ‘ropes are dropped’ at the Hub spokes and the park is open. That statement applies to both an EMM and non-EMM morning. MK EMM ends at 9am.

DHS EMM ends officially at 8:45am. Reports from EMM folks generally indicate that the rope drop crowd has been arriving in TSL 8:45-8:50ish. That may be a few mins later than any given non-EMM morning, but not too far off.

An MK opening is always going to be the same no matter what. For a 9am park opening, the castle show is at 8:55am, after which the ‘ropes are dropped’ at the Hub spokes and the park is open. That statement applies to both an EMM and non-EMM morning. MK EMM ends at 9am.

DHS EMM ends officially at 8:45am. Reports from EMM folks generally indicate that the rope drop crowd has been arriving in TSL 8:45-8:50ish. That may be a few mins later than any given non-EMM morning, but not too far off.
Thanks! I figured MK would stick with the past process. I have tended to see the early RD at DHS and AK more often like the PP's and you have confirmed. :thumbsup2

Last edited:
On Saturday- RD at Epcot- kept us out until about 8:40 (had the drummers keeping us entertained). Then held us at SE until a few minutes to 9.
So very different than 2 years ago.
We were able to get our 1st ride on TT and when we came out the line was already at 60 minutes.

Similar experience to pp.
For 9 am park opening:
MK - the park opened at stated time after castle show.
EPCOT - came in through IG, held at the bridge until 9.
HS let in at 8:30, held at Sunset BLVD until 8:40 and then walked to TSL by CMs.
AK let in 30 minutes early, held at entrance to Pandora and walked by CMss to rides at 8:45.

Similar experience to pp.
For 9 am park opening:
MK - the park opened at stated time after castle show.
EPCOT - came in through IG, held at the bridge until 9.
HS let in at 8:30, held at Sunset BLVD until 8:40 and then walked to TSL by CMs.
AK let in 30 minutes early, held at entrance to Pandora and walked by CMss to rides at 8:45.

This is what we experienced last July as well.

For HS and AK, when they open 15-30 min early, are all the rides open or only TSL and Pandora?

For HS and AK, when they open 15-30 min early, are all the rides open or only TSL and Pandora?

In general, when ANY of the parks open "early" only the most sought-after ride(s) will be open early.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter