Paris building a barrier around the Eiffel Tower

I wouldn't let this stop you from seeing Paris if I were you. It's a small barrier, surrounding a large area. The Eiffel Tower is huge, and the best part is the view from the top which won't be impacted by this at all. Plus, there are hundreds of other amazing things to see in Paris.

http://thepointsguy.com/2017/02/barrier-around-eiffel-tower-paris/

Sad if this actually gets done. Was planning a trip to Paris in December but I'll cancel if there is construction. Not going to pay all that money to see the Tower with all sorts of construction and barriers around it.
I've see than news too. We're going in May and of course we need to visit the Eiffel Tower, but we've booked a guided tour so I hope it won't be an issue. Happy to hear that the restoration of the Trevi Fountain is now done for when we hit Rome. We had originally planned this trip for 2015 when it was still a big mess.

I wouldn't let this stop you from seeing Paris if I were you. It's a small barrier, surrounding a large area. The Eiffel Tower is huge, and the best part is the view from the top which won't be impacted by this at all. Plus, there are hundreds of other amazing things to see in Paris.

Well I've been to France already about 5 years ago. And I wasn't as talented in photography as I am now so I didn't manage any good selfie shots with the Eiffel Tower. The thought of going again and still not getting the shot is concerning. I seem to have bad luck when it comes to seeing places under construction or surrounded by barriers. Trevi in April 2015, St Basil Cathedral in Moscow in Sep 2016, and now potentially the Eiffel Tower.

I've see than news too. We're going in May and of course we need to visit the Eiffel Tower, but we've booked a guided tour so I hope it won't be an issue. Happy to hear that the restoration of the Trevi Fountain is now done for when we hit Rome. We had originally planned this trip for 2015 when it was still a big mess.

I think construction might start in fall so you're safe

We visited in June 2016 and they had the barrier and security then, it didn't bother us in the least. We went during the Eurocup, so we got to see the tower with a lovely soccer ball hanging from it :headache:...not happy about that, but we still made it to the top and that's where the best view is!

What they need to do is somehow build a barrier around the throngs of North Africans that try to sell you trinkets and will even grab your wrists and put a bracelet on you and then demand money for the bracelet. My DD14 was accosted by two men who grabbed her by the arm and started tieing this bracelet around her wrist...she kept tugging her arm away but they wouldn't let go. My DH (who was about 5 ft away at the time) ran over and pulled DD from them and told them if they even tried to touch her again he would ****ing kill them on the spot! My DH is about 6'1 and 250 pounds....colonel in the army, quite intimidating. But they were relentless. They continued to follow us around for about 10 mins demanding money until my DH finally got in the face of one and whispered something to him...which made him run away!

Funny story princess, that happened to my ex girlfriend on that trip as well. He was putting a bracelet on her, and it was taking a while, I got impatient and told him to remove it. He refused, so I too threatened to kill him if he didn't step back immediately.

http://thepointsguy.com/2017/02/barrier-around-eiffel-tower-paris/

Sad if this actually gets done. Was planning a trip to Paris in December but I'll cancel if there is construction. Not going to pay all that money to see the Tower with all sorts of construction and barriers around it.

Sad that it's necessary, but I agree wholeheartedly with this:

Those ^^^ are horrible stories :(

The worst I've had is a gypsy woman pin some lucky heather on me then demand money. I told her I had nothing so she removed the heather and said word to the effect of "no good luck for you then" a stormed off to bother some other poor person. But yeah, your stories eclipse mine :(

We visited in June 2016 and they had the barrier and security then, it didn't bother us in the least. We went during the Eurocup, so we got to see the tower with a lovely soccer ball hanging from it :headache:...not happy about that, but we still made it to the top and that's where the best view is!

What they need to do is somehow build a barrier around the throngs of North Africans that try to sell you trinkets and will even grab your wrists and put a bracelet on you and then demand money for the bracelet. My DD14 was accosted by two men who grabbed her by the arm and started tieing this bracelet around her wrist...she kept tugging her arm away but they wouldn't let go. My DH (who was about 5 ft away at the time) ran over and pulled DD from them and told them if they even tried to touch her again he would ****ing kill them on the spot! My DH is about 6'1 and 250 pounds....colonel in the army, quite intimidating. But they were relentless. They continued to follow us around for about 10 mins demanding money until my DH finally got in the face of one and whispered something to him...which made him run away!
Those ^^^ are horrible stories :(

The worst I've had is a gypsy woman pin some lucky heather on me then demand money. I told her I had nothing so she removed the heather and said word to the effect of "no good luck for you then" a stormed off to bother some other poor person. But yeah, your stories eclipse mine :(
I have never been to France but this would irk me to no end if my family had an experience like this.. (anywhere for that matter) I know quite a few people who have gone but none have ever mentioned stuff like this. Where I live tho? You only hear the "good and fabulous" of other's lives. Sorry you guys had to deal with what I consider violating. I'm a 3 feet of space type of person.

What's really sad is that they, France, allowed this to happen. Theres no going back for them now, or Germany.

That's a far jump to say that any country allows a terrorist attack to happen. I'll leave it at that since it would get too political to say much more.

We are thinking of taking a weekend to France for a portion of our honeymoon. I hope it isn't going to be too disruptive because seeing the tower was one of my musts. That and Disneyland Paris.

That's a far jump to say that any country allows a terrorist attack to happen. I'll leave it at that since it would get too political to say much more.

We are thinking of taking a weekend to France for a portion of our honeymoon. I hope it isn't going to be too disruptive because seeing the tower was one of my musts. That and Disneyland Paris.

Yeah I'm not gonna book flights until I have an understanding of how it's going to look. I don't want construction crews in my tower selfie.

To be honest, these days my concern would be the fact that an increase in security is sorely needed there, rather than the fact that a barrier will be around the tower!

I've been hearing for maybe the last 5yrs now (from friends who go frequently) that Paris and many European cities are not what they once were. Many have stopped going or at least won't go as often. And we see on the news some of the reasons why, including terrorist acts.

We've also seen that there are dangers in many places including here at home, so I am not saying that it is a reason NOT to go at all. I would just be much more concerned about any actual possible danger than the aesthetics around a landmark.

Ehh I'm not at all worried about my personal safety here. Not going to go through life being scared at all the potential negative outcomes. Not a good way to live life, IMO. I'm gonna do what I want and if I get struck down, so be it.
I said I wouldn't consider it a reason not to go to Paris, at least at this point. Just that security would be a greater concern to me than a barrier that isn't aesthetically pleasing. I'd be GLAD that they are taking appropriate measures.

I live in a city that is considered a constant target. I don't walk around afraid all the time - trust me.

I live in NYC so we know terrorism far to well here. Also barriers come up and down all the time around here so that doesn't phase me. Pretty sad that I can say that and the big concrete barriers the NYPD put out are just apart of another day here. Like many others I'm not going to live my life in fear because if I do then the terrorist truly win. I'll be smart about my surroundings (and sounds like keep my hands in my pockets in Paris based off these stories) but still go. I just wanted to know if the tower would still be accessible during construction of the barriers.

Some of the culture may have changed in these places which is truly unfortunate but there is still some incredible history that can be seen and explored throughout Europe. No amount of terrorism is going to change that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter