Parents want to stay at an offsite hotel

csace7

Earning My Ears
Hello,
I plan to visit Disney World at the end of March. I got a rate at the Coronado and plan on staying there but my parents want to stay at something a lot cheaper. I was looking at the on site non Disney hotels and they are the same price as the moderates. I looked at Holiday Inn's website and the cheaper places are further and further away from Disney World, which makes sense. They would most likely need to get a car to travel to and from anywhere. Do you guys have any ideas on where they should stay? Its okay if you suggest the value resorts too. I looked at Pop Century and the remodeled rooms look great. Please post any suggestions you might have to stay outside of disney or any ideas on how to save money on a hotel. My parents don't care about luxury, so as long as there is not bed bugs or anything they are fine.

One thing to consider when looking at places off site, is now most off site hotels charge a pretty hefty daily parking fee AND a daily "resort fee." So just make sure you're adding in those extra costs in order to be able to compare apples to apples.

Of course, driving a car, your parents will also have a daily WDW theme park parking fee, too. So if you add in all 3 of those factors, staying at Coronado might end up about the same price.

I think those are relatively new locations and construction is ongoing with a lot of new hotels and apartments. Be sure to check AAA or Senior Rates... and what type of Bus Service is offered.
I personally would not recommend staying off site during this time frame. I hope you can let them know it is safer and more secure for many reasons to stay on property.
#1 reason is Disney will respond to medical or emergency needs on property
. #2 Locals drive really fast and it is pretty dangerous. Not a fan of uber or Lyft because they shouldn’t even be allowed to conduct business on Disney property. They are not Disney Castmembers and don’t we all need to support Disney Castmembers first?
Probably could list many more reasons if you want...
Do you know why they want to stay off site? Will you worry about them driving and trying to figure out the signs every morn and even worse driving in the dark? Now I am worried about your parents!

Another thought... maybe the sticker shock from the good old days when it was Only expensive has been the problem. I know I have those moments when I want to not spend that much cause I can still remember those days.

Last edited:
I think those are relatively new locations and construction is ongoing with a lot of new hotels and apartments. Be sure to check AAA or Senior Rates... and what type of Bus Service is offered.
I personally would not recommend staying off site during this time frame. I hope you can let them know it is safer and more secure for many reasons to stay on property.
. #2 Locals drive really fast and it is pretty dangerous. Not a fan of uber or Lyft because they shouldn’t even be allowed to conduct business on Disney property. They are not Disney Castmembers and don’t we all need to support Disney Castmembers first?
Do you know why they want to stay off site? Will you worry about them driving and trying to figure out the signs every morn and even worse driving in the dark? Now I am worried about your parents!

Another thought... maybe the sticker shock from the good old days when it was Only expensive has been the problem. I know I have those moments when I want to not spend that much cause I can still remember those days.
Thanks for the reply! I would prefer them to stay on property too. It looks like the value resorts are their best bet. Thanks.

One thing to consider when looking at places off site, is now most off site hotels charge a pretty hefty daily parking fee AND a daily "resort fee." So just make sure you're adding in those extra costs in order to be able to compare apples to apples.

Of course, driving a car, your parents will also have a daily WDW theme park parking fee, too. So if you add in all 3 of those factors, staying at Coronado might end up about the same price.

It sounded as if OP's parents would only have this car expense if they stay offsite. It didn't sound like they're driving their own car to WDW.
"They would most likely need to get a car to travel to and from anywhere."

That's even more reason for them to stay onsite. By the time the add in cost of rental car, tolls, gas, parking, etc. it probaby isn't much savings. Is DME still delivering bags to guest's rooms? That alone is enough to make me want to stay onsite and not deal with lugging our bags around. The older I get, the more I just want to simplify things.

I would look into renting DVC points. A 2 BR unit is very spacious and would give you some together time but still have your own BR for privacy. Also if they don't want all day every day in parks, it's a very comfortable place to just relax.

It sounded as if OP's parents would only have this car expense if they stay offsite. It didn't sound like they're driving their own car to WDW.
"They would most likely need to get a car to travel to and from anywhere."

That's even more reason for them to stay onsite. By the time the add in cost of rental car, tolls, gas, parking, etc. it probaby isn't much savings. Is DME still delivering bags to guest's rooms? That alone is enough to make me want to stay onsite and not deal with lugging our bags around. The older I get, the more I just want to simplify things.

I would look into renting DVC points. A 2 BR unit is very spacious and would give you some together time but still have your own BR for privacy. Also if they don't want all day every day in parks, it's a very comfortable place to just relax.

DME isn't delivering bags to guests' rooms. You have to get the bags yourself from baggage claim at the airport. There's also no resort airline check in desk either.

thanks for all the replies guys! My family lives really close to Disneyland, and if you have been, you'd know that the non disney hotels by the park are significantly cheaper than the disney ones. also the further you go from disneyland the less expensive the hotels get. But i guess Disney world is much more remote and inclusive and thus the hotels are more expensive.

So so much wrong here.

#1 Disney will respond to medical or emergency needs of ANY guest while on property regardless if you're staying at one of their hotels. If you're staying at the Days Inn and fall and break a leg while eating at the Poly or shopping at Disney Springs Disney will respond and help. If you need medical attention OFF property, 911 will respond. And if you are AT Disney and need medical attention you will be taken to an off-property hospital.

#2 Locals may drive fast but the plethora of people from out of the area who aren't paying attention to stuff or familiar with where they are going are the bigger problem.

#3 As for the Uber/Lyft thing? I don't even know how to respond to that other than CM's aren;t the only ones hurting in this pandemic who need to make ends meet and I would bet a fair number of drivers are off-duty or laid off CM's.

I guess it depends.
I responded as a senior citizen and from my experience taking care of elderly mother I would rather be on property for many reasons.
I would rather be on property with my grandchildren ... For even more reasons... Gee I wonder why castmembers receive Alert for identification of possible kidnapping , or trafficking on property?
What do you think Security is looking for when they knock on your door?

Last edited:
So so much wrong here.

#1 Disney will respond to medical or emergency needs of ANY guest while on property regardless if you're staying at one of their hotels. If you're staying at the Days Inn and fall and break a leg while eating at the Poly or shopping at Disney Springs Disney will respond and help. If you need medical attention OFF property, 911 will respond. And if you are AT Disney and need medical attention you will be taken to an off-property hospital.

#2 Locals may drive fast but the plethora of people from out of the area who aren't paying attention to stuff or familiar with where they are going are the bigger problem.

#3 As for the Uber/Lyft thing? I don't even know how to respond to that other than CM's aren;t the only ones hurting in this pandemic who need to make ends meet and I would bet a fair number of drivers are off-duty or laid off CM's.

If I am going to be wrong, I would rather be on the right side of being wrong.

thanks for all the replies guys! My family lives really close to Disneyland, and if you have been, you'd know that the non disney hotels by the park are significantly cheaper than the disney ones. also the further you go from disneyland the less expensive the hotels get. But i guess Disney world is much more remote and inclusive and thus the hotels are more expensive.
The Disneyworld experience is much different as everything is much more spread apart at WDW and transportation is a big factor as you move around.

For your first visit, I would suggest staying together at the same Disney resort somewhere within your budget if possible. I think this will reduce the stress on everyone. Yes, you will pay more but I think your overall vacation will be better.

The Disneyworld experience is much different as everything is much more spread apart at WDW and transportation is a big factor as you move around.

For your first visit, I would suggest staying together at the same Disney resort somewhere within your budget if possible. I think this will reduce the stress on everyone. Yes, you will pay more but I think your overall vacation will be better.

I agree. WDW is something like 40 square miles. Check it out on google maps up close.

Hello,
I plan to visit Disney World at the end of March. I got a rate at the Coronado and plan on staying there but my parents want to stay at something a lot cheaper. I was looking at the on site non Disney hotels and they are the same price as the moderates. I looked at Holiday Inn's website and the cheaper places are further and further away from Disney World, which makes sense. They would most likely need to get a car to travel to and from anywhere. Do you guys have any ideas on where they should stay? Its okay if you suggest the value resorts too. I looked at Pop Century and the remodeled rooms look great. Please post any suggestions you might have to stay outside of disney or any ideas on how to save money on a hotel. My parents don't care about luxury, so as long as there is not bed bugs or anything they are fine.

By March, All Star Movies will be open. And with the up to 35% off special going on, the nightly rate in late March is $144/night before tax, staying 3/21 - 3/27, which is a total of $985.19 or $164/night including tax.

So let's compare that for a sec to the Holiday Inn example mentioned above. If that hotel is a base rate including tax of $100/night, then you add the daily resort fee and the daily self-parking fee, now you're at a total of $158.

But then you also would have to add in the $25/day to park in the WDW theme park parking lots. So that brings the per night cost to $183.

This, of course, is basically $20/night more expensive than staying on site in All Star Movies. Or for a 6 night trip, an extra $120 more expensive to stay off site compared to on site.

If you are staying off site, you need to run the real numbers, and look at the picture outside the box.

Resort Fee's - normally are around 30 to 50 a day depending on where you are staying.

Parking fee - which again can be anywhere from say 20 to 40 a day, for self parking... more for valet...

Then add in the cost of the car, gas and insurance... for the rental car... divide that per day and add to the cost of your per day spend.

Parking at the parks... around 20 to 30 dollar per park per day.

Time getting to and from the parks... Traffic here in Orlando is back to green flag racing... so time is money, and when your sitting in traffic, your not in the parks, which is a waste of money that you spent on your park tickets. AS well as the aggravation of having to drive in that mess... As a local I do whatever I can to stay away from this area.

Plus your going together as a family, and family time is what it is really all about.. It will take the stress off of everyone.. Stay together at the same resort is my best suggestion...

Its okay if you suggest the value resorts too. I looked at Pop Century and the remodeled rooms look great. Please post any suggestions you might have to stay outside of disney or any ideas on how to save money on a hotel. My parents don't care about luxury, so as long as there is not bed bugs or anything they are fine.
i would definitely look at Pop Century. Prices might be good if you can get a decent discount, and the SKYLINER really is a wonderful advantage. Love the Skyliner

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter