Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

Oh... the dreaded chemistry!!

DD cried for the first time at college......all pent up anxiety regarding a chem test. She was so freaked out about the exam, and certain her future was going down the toilet.
We "talked her off the ledge", she went to tutoring sessions, an extra lecture and met with the professor.
She took the exam on Friday, and she's still waiting on the grade.
Fingers crossed!
Here too for your DD - Hoping she aced it and surprises herself!

Hope everyone succeeds in those Chemistry and Calculus classes! DD doesn't have to take anything like that, and she said she kind of misses that. Eventually she will be taking a few non-Graphic Design classes. Well right now she has College Experience but a class on how to handle community college isn't too taxing on the brain ;)

So a couple pages back I had asked about scholarships your kids had gotten and making 4-year college more affordable for DD16 because she's already big into the search. After that I found one reasonably nearby that has a full tuition scholarship at a 29 ACT which I think is possible for her, and they had her current favorite major which isn't found everywhere. I emailed admissions with a question about major/minor and they said they were discontinuing that major :headache: but maybe she will change her mind again so we'll keep it on the list of possibilities. It otherwise seems like it would suit her. We'll have to see if she gets that 29 too.

On another note, DD19 had been wishing to find a boyfriend. Well this past week or two she has started to have some ask her out/talk to her but they are not ones she wants. It figures!

Here too for your DD - Hoping she aced it and surprises herself!

DD got her grade for the Chemistry test. She got 100%
Full disclosure....There were extra credit points up for grabs due to the difficulty of the test.
She hasn't seen her test yet (tomorrow), but "thinks" she got 3 incorrect answers, out of 20 questions.

I think DD learned some valuable life lessons.
Don't freak out and over react! How to handle yourself when feeling overwhelmed. When you want something bad enough, be prepared to work your butt off for it.

DD got her grade for the Chemistry test. She got 100%
Full disclosure....There were extra credit points up for grabs due to the difficulty of the test.
She hasn't seen her test yet (tomorrow), but "thinks" she got 3 incorrect answers, out of 20 questions.

I think DD learned some valuable life lessons.
Don't freak out and over react! How to handle yourself when feeling overwhelmed. When you want something bad enough, be prepared to work your butt off for it.
Awesome! Congrats, a 100% is a 100% regardless of how she got there. WhooooWhoooo, that must be a big relief as well as confidence booster

Spring registration DD wasn't able to get one class. She said there's a waitlist. She said she tried several other classes but no luck. Not sure if she put herself on a wait list or not, I was at work so couldn't ask questions. What does this mean now? If she doesn't get this class it will mess up her 4 year plan in the special program she is in. I'm not sure if the other kids in the program got in but if not then those student will have an issue too! I'm hoping they add another class or figure something out.

Spring registration DD wasn't able to get one class. She said there's a waitlist. She said she tried several other classes but no luck. Not sure if she put herself on a wait list or not, I was at work so couldn't ask questions. What does this mean now? If she doesn't get this class it will mess up her 4 year plan in the special program she is in. I'm not sure if the other kids in the program got in but if not then those student will have an issue too! I'm hoping they add another class or figure something out.

Hopefully, she's on the waitlist. My boys have had goid luck moving up in the list as folks drop the class or the college finds a bigger room and opens up more seats for the course.

Hopefully, she's on the waitlist. My boys have had goid luck moving up in the list as folks drop the class or the college finds a bigger room and opens up more seats for the course.
if she doesn’t come off the waitlist she can also contact the professor.

Hopefully, she's on the waitlist. My boys have had good luck moving up in the list as folks drop the class or the college finds a bigger room and opens up more seats for the course.

Yes. Also, I have read that spots on classes often open up right after grades are released. There are students who don't pass, or do well enough for a prerequisite, so they have to drop. Tell her to keep checking. Has she met with her advisor to come up with a plan?

That's crazy! My daughter is picking soon, hopefully she will get the classes she needs. I know she picks with the group ahead of the freshman because she is considered a sophomore next semester due to AP credits she brought in, so I am hoping that helps. Her friend she started there with picks before she does because she is now technically a sophomore too but she is also honors so the honors kids pick before the non honors kids.

Yes. Also, I have read that spots on classes often open up right after grades are released. There are students who don't pass, or do well enough for a prerequisite, so they have to drop. Tell her to keep checking. Has she met with her advisor to come up with a plan?

She emailed her advisor. He told her she had to check a box to be added to wait list. I guess she is top 5 on the list so not sure if she has to get something signed or as people drop she goes up on the list and will be added automatically if there room. Not sure how she got in the top 5 I just got info through text. Her registration date was yesterday. Looks like she got all her classes but one so hopefully it all works out. I looked online to see her classes and theres now a tuition balance, not what I wanted to see-lol! Ok parents we are 1/2 through freshman year. couple more weeks to go-lol!

DD came home last night! She has a bit of a nasty cough, but she says everyone on her floor has some sort of cold/cough. I guess it just goes with the territory when you live in such close quarters.

When she was home last month, she was feeling a bit sad a bout her social life (or lack of one), so it was great to hear her say that things are improving! She said there's a "pack" of 10-12 kids on her floor who have become very close. Now she always has stuff to do and people to do it with! Such a relief!

She said classes are going well but some are kind of boring. She didn't get into one of the classes she wanted for next semester, but her advisor said to write the professor a letter stating why she wants to take that class and that may help her get a spot if one opens up.

Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your kids!

My daughter got all the lasses she wanted and times she wanted- she has Fridays free. And she also got a nasty surprise yesterday---she has been 18 for less than TWO weeks and she got her jury duty notice for Boston. It is insane- we live in NY yet Boston has a different set of rules and college kids are required to do jury duty even though they are only dorming there for school.

My daughter got all the lasses she wanted and times she wanted- she has Fridays free. And she also got a nasty surprise yesterday---she has been 18 for less than TWO weeks and she got her jury duty notice for Boston. It is insane- we live in NY yet Boston has a different set of rules and college kids are required to do jury duty even though they are only dorming there for school.

That is crazy! Can she get out of it due to classes or no?

Dd had one class cancelled for Tuesday afternoon. So she wanted to skip her other class and come home Monday night for Thanksgiving break. Then the professor announced anyone who shows up to class on Tuesday gets an automatic 10 points added to their final. I told her she wasn't allowed to come home Monday night; this Inn is closed! Lol!

DD came home last night. Her classes opened up Thursday, I think it was a TA who told her to have her requests loaded so all she had to hit was the send button. She said there was an announcement the open window moved up to 8:30am she got all her choices but one, the TA told her she could set an alert if someone drops the class she needed; she got one alert but responsed to slow, she was in class. Got another and she had the site up on her computer already and she got it and her chemistry partner got in with her so they are both happy. She said some of of kids were saying they did not get classes they wanted because senior get first choice.
Her BF came over last night we played a board game and made/ate gingerbread men and decorated sugar cookies. This is her birthday week too.

That is crazy! Can she get out of it due to classes or no?

No- she can choose to postpone but if she postpones until like after April 28th when classes end she will have to travel to Boston to serve which is at least 100.00 plus if she gets put on a case add in hotel room etc- its nuts. I told her to go on the one day she is scheduled for and try to talk to the judge - maybe she can postpone to a Friday that she is off and just hope to not get on a case!

oh no that would be stressful. I tried looking right now just to be prepared if My DD happens to get one. I couldn't find anything on college students. Anyone know the rules for full time college students? My DD uses our address but lives in the dorms
No- she can choose to postpone but if she postpones until like after April 28th when classes end she will have to travel to Boston to serve which is at least 100.00 plus if she gets put on a case add in hotel room etc- its nuts. I told her to go on the one day she is scheduled for and try to talk to the judge - maybe she can postpone to a Friday that she is off and just hope to not get on a case!
Sounds like it would be a financial burden for a college student. Would she be able to ask for an excusal for financial hardship?

DD gets the whole week off for Thanksgiving, and since she doesn't have classes on Fridays, she decided to come home this past Thursday. Yay! I get to have her for 10 whole days!!! DS20 gets out of school on Tuesday. He, DH and some fraternity friends are going to see Dead & Company in DC that night, so DS has arranged to go to the morning sessions of all his classes.

I texted both kids about what they wanted me to cook for Thanksgiving dinner. I am an excellent cook, and I enjoy cooking when I have the time. I figured they'd been away, would appreciate some home cooking, and I wanted to include their favorite side dishes. They both immediately said they don't like Thanksgiving dinner and wanted to go to the T-giving buffet at our golf club. I gotta say I was disappointed and relieved all at the same time.

School is going ok for both kids. DD loves her school, has made a great group of friends, is having tons of fun and is working hard. She has all As and Bs right now. She is not looking forward to finals, but is looking forward to sorority rush in January.

DS is having an extremely stressful semester. UVA Comm school is super intense and ultra competitive. He is struggling for the first time in his life with a class (Intermediate Accounting). He has to get a C or better or it won't count. His big semester group project is due this weekend. It has taken up a huge amount of his time. He has also been filling out applications and interviewing for summer internships. Finance kids look for internships in: consulting, investment banking, asset management and corporate finance. He's done about 50 applications in the 4 areas, has had 40 rejections, 5 first round interviews, 1 super day of interviews in Charlotte, NC. His focus was on internships in asset management, but he's getting most of his interviews in corporate finance. He found out this Monday that he didn't get the asset management job in Charlotte which was his top choice so far. Then on Thursday, he got an offer for a corporate finance internship. The money is good, and it's a Fortune 200 company, so I think he is going to take it and be done with the stressful recruiting process. All his friends have been wondering where he's been this semester!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!