• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

It's not her #1 because it's so close to home (15 min from our house), but she does really like it and would be happy there. It's just a relief to have an acceptance - she knows she's going to college! Will hear form the rest in the next week or so, but she applied to a lot of reaches, so we are prepared for a lot of no's.
Same here- still waiting for USC, Brown, Barnard, Columbia, Tufts, NYU, Boston U- Those "no's" wont hurt so bad though since Northeastern said yes LOL.

My DD's club coach just wrote the most AMAZING letter of recommendation. My DD sent it to both the University of Wisconsin Madison and University Minnesota Twin Cities.
Here is the closing paragraph:

Wow - that is quite a recommendation! That is sure to help! :)

Same here! DS just found out he got in! It's the first school (of 6) that he's heard from. He's so happy and I am relieved to have heard something!

Congrats to your DS! That is awesome!!

Well, we got financial aid from Niece's number one choice. I am not happy. They did give some money, but they are so expensive to begin with that final total cost of attendance will still be a tad over $40K. She's stuck on this school. I'm not even sure I like this school for any price. This will be a rough weekend.

Well, we got financial aid from Niece's number one choice. I am not happy. They did give some money, but they are so expensive to begin with that final total cost of attendance will still be a tad over $40K. She's stuck on this school. I'm not even sure I like this school for any price. This will be a rough weekend.

Sorry to hear this. The cost of some colleges is just incredible! Any chance you can appeal for more aid?

That stinks :(.

Sorry to hear this. The cost of some colleges is just incredible! Any chance you can appeal for more aid?

I don't know. I know people try to negotiate merit awards, but can you negotiate need-based financial aid? I really want another 10K per year to make this affordable.

I don't know. I know people try to negotiate merit awards, but can you negotiate need-based financial aid? I really want another 10K per year to make this affordable.
If you have had a loss of income you can- not sure otherwise. I know they said it is based on the FAFSA but they do take appeals if you have had a change in income.

40,000 a year?

That is awesome. My son's coach wrote his best recommendation letter by far. I mean, really, their coaches see so much of their character and know them so well. Their opinion means a lot.
The coaches end up spending a lot of time with our kids. I encouraged my DD to ask her coach to write a letter back in October. Better late than never!

DD just heard from her first (of 9) schools. She got into BC and is so excited!
So Exciting, Congratulations! Awesome news

Same here! DS just found out he got in! It's the first school (of 6) that he's heard from. He's so happy and I am relieved to have heard something!
Yay, Yay. Yay Congratulations - y'all can breath a little easier

My DD's club coach just wrote the most AMAZING letter of recommendation. My DD sent it to both the University of Wisconsin Madison and University Minnesota Twin Cities.

Here is the closing paragraph:
Very nice!

This is where we are at with Minn - DD likes it although I think right now after her visit to Hofstra, Mom likes Minn more than DD does but its just too expensive. I'm contemplating asking for some sort of merit to help lower the price tag but if her heart is no longer set on it, I wonder if I should waste my time.

One school flat out told us - Tell us if something has changed or give us the details that pertain to your family situation - you know, the factors that the FAFSA does not take into consideration. It can't hurt to ask, whats the worst, they say no.

Yes. We can swing 30 but not 40.

I feel your pain. We're hoping to be able to get enough merit aid that our out of pocket will only be $40k. The lowest is $30k and that seems like a bargain.

We don't qualify for any need based aid. The curse of living in a high COL area. Our worth looks better on paper than it plays out in real life.

Same here- still waiting for USC, Brown, Barnard, Columbia, Tufts, NYU, Boston U- Those "no's" wont hurt so bad though since Northeastern said yes LOL.
Sounds like our kids have similar tastes. We are also waiting on Brown, Columbia, and NYU. Also waiting on Vanderbilt and UMass Amherst. Several of those are long shots. My sister graduated Northeastern and I graduated BU. I LOVED my time in college.

This college decision season is wiping me out. I'm more stressed than my son is! He's perfectly happy where he is accepted right now; I'm wigging out over where he is waitlisted.

BU and Middlebury notify tomorrow. Carleton is Wednesday. Lehigh end of next week. Reed just mailed their decisions snail mail.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter