Parents of the Class of 2019

Got our son settled into his house this past weekend in Illinois. Added bonus was when he got there and found out that they assigned him the master bedroom, so he had a private bathroom. Actually, it seems that at least one of the guys who is supposed to be in the house with him aren't starting until later in the summer.

Sounds like the first few days have gone pretty well at the co-op. He said they seem like a really laid back company, so he should be pretty comfortable there. It's completely different from his first co-op company, which was pretty buttoned up and really strict about a lot of things. But then again, this is a pretty small company as opposed to the Fortune 500 company he worked for last fall.

Last year coming up fast. When do your kids go back?

DS took his in person lab final Tuesday. He has 2 lab reports to complete by Friday for the class.

His math final is this Friday at 6pm.

Tic toc.
I paid rent for his apartment today. The hunt this summer has been for apartment supplies. Thankfully he did not need a lot and he is not picky. And the apartment comes furnished.
Cooking - this will be interesting.

My daughter got an A in her first class and got an A on her second class midterm, comes home from Boston on the 17th and goes back on the 2nd to move into another apartment with 3 others (her rent will only be $1000 a month). I don’t know how I’m going to get her home after 3 years, dd19 went to visit and now she thinks Boston is awesome (keep in mind we are 10 miles from Manhattan and my kids have been there a million times and now 2 daughters are thumbing their noses at it for not being clean and cute enough). She’s taking a train back, we told her we’d bring up her stuff another weekend, too many colleges going back Labor Day weekend.

Congrats on the As! (My sister went to Boston for the first time this summer. They've been to NYC several times. They loved Boston and said the same things "so cute! So clean!")

My son has been in NYC all summer (my first visit to NYC was when we dropped him off.) We pick him up from the internship this weekend. He's going to continue working for them remotely during the school year. He doesn't have a post-graduation written offer yet, but they have verbally told him he'll be getting one, so he's happy about that. He'll be home for a week, then we'll drop him back off at his campus apartment on 8/16. He's in the same unit as last year so we didn't have to do a total move-out which is nice.

In between getting picking him up in New York and dropping him off at college, we'll also be moving my daughter to her college. She's moving in a whole week before classes start and is not super happy about that, but hopefully once she gets there it'll be good.

I'm less than 2 weeks away from being an empty-nester. Not quite sure how I feel about that. I don't think I'm ready.

DD went back on Saturday and her RA training started Monday. She's still got a couple weeks before classes start but once again she's RA for a freshman LLC so she had to be back early to get training done before freshman orientation/welcome week starts. She had the time of her life on her summer study program in Ireland and is now looking into potentially doing grad school over there as a way of going back to stay longer. She did some excursions with the bio program even though she decided to take the "easy" path and check off her last core requirement by doing the history courses instead, and she was really impressed. With so much coastline, fishing as a major industry, and a pretty progressive set of policies around climate change, there's a lot of work in her field happening there. I do sometimes wonder how long until she actually ends up on the moon or something, though - she just keeps venturing further and further away! College in California and now she's planning on either Alaska or Ireland for her next steps. We're hardly even going to see her over Christmas break this year because she's going on a winter session field study in the Galapagos Islands so she'll have to be back on campus on Jan 2.

DD is almost done with her degree- internship will be done this month.

She LOVES her internship but they told her early on it wasn't in the budget for her to stay. Last weekend her BF moved out to go to grad school 4 hours away and she was considering moving there when she's done. But as of Monday there is a chance for her to get on permanently. So, for now, she is not applying for other jobs until she knows more.

I'm not worried about jobs because she can always work in her sister's shop as a filler until she knows more/decides location. What I'm concerned about is her housing. Following BF would save money (and the driving back and forth to see each other). Staying means finding a new roommate or moving to a 1 bed which is not much cheaper, and there is short supply. She has her lease through November so there is time for a plan to hopefully become apparent.

Hey everyone I’m pretty much a lurker here 😆 I can’t believe senior of college is upon me ! It’s been a crazy few years Dd goes back the 22 of august she is an RA so she needs the mandatory training but the best news is she is going to be a fall intern for the Today show ! This was what she wanted so much since she didn’t get any internships in the spring she was getting worried she needed one more for her degree. Best of luck to everyone for this senior year !!

Grades were posted while we were in Florida. DS did well.
The math was a self teach class? The lectures were already recorded, they were released as the Syllabus stated.. The students knew from day one: When each home work was released and due. And when each 3 exams were scheduled.
And you still got the opportunity to pay full price for it :)!

Tomorrow I shall have him gather his school supplies from the house.

Lots of peeps in Florida. DS has not had COVID yet... he sneezed in the jeep and said he had a slight scratchy throat tonight after our flight home. That is how mine started in May.

Grades were posted while we were in Florida. DS did well.
The math was a self teach class? The lectures were already recorded, they were released as the Syllabus stated.. The students knew from day one: When each home work was released and due. And when each 3 exams were scheduled.
And you still got the opportunity to pay full price for it :)!

Tomorrow I shall have him gather his school supplies from the house.

Lots of peeps in Florida. DS has not had COVID yet... he sneezed in the jeep and said he had a slight scratchy throat tonight after our flight home. That is how mine started in May.
My daughter loved asynchronous classes so much, she’s very type A and liked to be able to have control over her schedule.

Son is dealing with some drama in two different locations.

Back up at school, he thought he was all set with subletting his room in the off-campus house he's in. A girl who was one of his roommates last year was going to sublet from him. He got a text from her a week or so ago, saying that something fell through with her financial aid and asking him if he would be ok with splitting the rent with her. He was caught off guard, but told her there's no way he's going to pay half the rent each month for a room he's not occupying. I posted something on the college's parent's Facebook site and I think he has a new person who needs a room for the fall, so it looks like he's not going to be on the hook for the rent now, but the last week has been stressful in that regard.

On top of that, last week he was also notified by the company he's doing his summer / fall co-op with that he was going to have to move by Labor Day. He's in a company-owned house, which has been a good deal for him, but apparently, they have some new hires coming in from Europe and they want to put them all in this house. The good news is that they are offering him a room in another house they own and it's just down the block from where he's at now. The bad news is that, obviously, he now has to repack all his stuff and move it all to another house, plus do it right before Labor Day, which he was planning on coming home for the long weekend, so he's trying to figure out the timing of all of it. That, and he's losing his private bathroom, which he was loving. ;)

He's not someone who deals with change real well, so we've been trying to keep him calm through all this - it's just part of life. Besides, it's just a couple more months now, so I figure he'll manage one way or the other. I know he's not planning on coming back to his company for another co-op (or a full time job). It's been a lot of great experience, but I don't think he likes the company as a whole.

Senior year is officially under way. Moved her back on Saturday, to a new apartment with a new roommate, and she seems to be settling in nicely. Old roomie and a couple other friends also moved to this new complex, so lots of friends close by.

Here's hoping for an uneventful year! It's been quite a ride.

IMG_2145.jpg

Yay, last semester and we should be richer next year. LoL

These past 4 years have flown by. The lucky seniors that got all the senior fun, before they were removed from campus their first year of college. Glad it should be an in person graduation in December.

She’s our youngest, and will be graduating with a B.S. in statistics. But as of today, she’s still not sure what job she wants. Pointed her to her university’s career center. Was hoping she’d go to med school, but that’s not her dream. Oh well. I don’t really care, just want her to find a good paying job, and start saving for her own place.

Much enjoy reading of others’ kids here.

DS went Sunday he getting through Covid off isolation, needs to mask to Wednesday.
(We went to universal and Mickeys not so Mickey scary Halloween party and came home tested positive.)

The apartment is small. The flooring is new but it needed help with the smell and that was with wearing a mask! Slapped up the plugs in. Ahhhh

Today he is to meet with a professor about a project (job?).

His first class was cancelled today -that professor had to report for juror duty.

Good luck to us all.

DH is going down Saturday for an event DS is helping to host. So I’m going to trade out the bed linen. I found an extra set in the basement so I said I trade the germs out. And then DS and have the new matchy match set. He could care less ;)

Well, she made it home from Boston on Friday, drove to lake George George yesterday to visit her bff who lives/works there at her vacation home, coming home Wednesday, flying to Florida Thursday to visit her boyfriend until Tuesday, then coming home to unpack from undergrad (dumped everything Memorial Day weekend the one day she was home before Boston), and wants to go to Delaware before taking a train back to Boston Labor Day weekend. She is moving into an unfurnished apartment and has nothing, not even a bed, but that’s not going to get in the way of her social life. She never stops. She got A’s in her 3 summer classes, and she’s feeling good about her half marathon training, apparently Boston is a great place for runs.

Well, she made it home from Boston on Friday, drove to lake George George yesterday to visit her bff who lives/works there at her vacation home, coming home Wednesday, flying to Florida Thursday to visit her boyfriend until Tuesday, then coming home to unpack from undergrad (dumped everything Memorial Day weekend the one day she was home before Boston), and wants to go to Delaware before taking a train back to Boston Labor Day weekend. She is moving into an unfurnished apartment and has nothing, not even a bed, but that’s not going to get in the way of her social life. She never stops.

Wow fun for your DD, my DH thinks our DD runs around too much lol! As it is, I'm waiting for him to complain about DD's next two weekends. This Friday she turns 21 so she is going back to her college town (3 hour drive) to meet her boyfriend and see friends for the weekend.

Then she has 3 days left at her internship so Thursday before Labor Day she is going to visit BF 4 hours away since she will be in between jobs and he'll have the long weekend from grad school.

This week her college portal finally showed "Bachelor of Science- Complete"! Still thinking about next steps. She applied for a temporary job yesterday to do while she decides whether to stay put or move down to BF. She did apply for a great job in his city but the listing doesn't close till 10/10 so idk if she won't hear anything until after that? Between jobs and housing and locations it's all up in the air and I'm trying to remain calm.

Wow fun for your DD, my DH thinks our DD runs around too much lol! As it is, I'm waiting for him to complain about DD's next two weekends. This Friday she turns 21 so she is going back to her college town (3 hour drive) to meet her boyfriend and see friends for the weekend.

Then she has 3 days left at her internship so Thursday before Labor Day she is going to visit BF 4 hours away since she will be in between jobs and he'll have the long weekend from grad school.

This week her college portal finally showed "Bachelor of Science- Complete"! Still thinking about next steps. She applied for a temporary job yesterday to do while she decides whether to stay put or move down to BF. She did apply for a great job in his city but the listing doesn't close till 10/10 so idk if she won't hear anything until after that? Between jobs and housing and locations it's all up in the air and I'm trying to remain calm.
These kids are such energizer bunnies! Dd and her friends went down the shore on Saturday not knowing where they would be sleeping, ran into a girl she used to dance with and crashed at her house. She ran into dozens of people she knew from HS, college, activities. Her brother’s 3 bedroom beach house had about 2 dozen sleeping over already. I’m glad your daughter’s completion is official.

Hey everyone I’m pretty much a lurker here 😆 I can’t believe senior of college is upon me ! It’s been a crazy few years Dd goes back the 22 of august she is an RA so she needs the mandatory training but the best news is she is going to be a fall intern for the Today show ! This was what she wanted so much since she didn’t get any internships in the spring she was getting worried she needed one more for her degree. Best of luck to everyone for this senior year !!

Congrats! That's a really exciting opportunity for her, I hope she loves it!

Well, she made it home from Boston on Friday, drove to lake George George yesterday to visit her bff who lives/works there at her vacation home, coming home Wednesday, flying to Florida Thursday to visit her boyfriend until Tuesday, then coming home to unpack from undergrad (dumped everything Memorial Day weekend the one day she was home before Boston), and wants to go to Delaware before taking a train back to Boston Labor Day weekend. She is moving into an unfurnished apartment and has nothing, not even a bed, but that’s not going to get in the way of her social life. She never stops. She got A’s in her 3 summer classes, and she’s feeling good about her half marathon training, apparently Boston is a great place for runs.

Oh, to have that much energy! LOL

DD turned 21 yesterday, the day before classes start, so she spent the whole day at the climbing gym where she trains and then headed off to a concert at night. We're meeting up in Disney next week to celebrate as a family over the long weekend, DH and I, DD14, the birthday girl, and a friend of hers who is driving down from Emory in Atlanta to join us. It should be a good time, and I'm so glad her friend is able to come too because they didn't see one another at all this summer between DD's Ireland program and her friend's internship in a lab at U of Mich.

Sounds like all my son's dramas have been worked out. He found (through an RIT Reddit site) someone who was graduating in December and needed a room for this fall, so I think the sublet is complete now. My son ended up paying for August rent, but at least he's covered now for the rest of the year.

And he's now moved from his current corporate house into the other one (about 3 blocks away, so not a tough move). He's whining that the new room is a lot smaller and he's lost his private bathroom, but in general, he'll manage to suck it up. I think his final date with the co-op will be somewhere around November 11th. He wanted to be done by Halloween, but he needs 24 total weeks for it to count for his 2nd and 3rd co-ops, and Halloween doesn't give him enough weeks.

He's coming home for the Labor Day weekend (also happens to be his 22nd birthday), so I think he's looking forward to catching up with all his friends (and sleeping in his own bed).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter