Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

It's going to be very different, especially when both girls are gone. DD15 is going to miss her sister a lot! They are best friends. And DD15 will miss several other seniors as their friend group is about 1/2 seniors and 1/2 sophomores. At least DD18 will not be far away. She is worried about missing her cats too!

DH complains about all the "running" to activities and events but I like it. I love talking with my girls and doing things together. When they are both gone it will be more boring but I guess I'll adjust with time.

Anyone else looking forward to being an empty nester? I am. Lol.

I've got a long way to go - I've got one in 10th grade and my youngest is in 4th grade. Right now, I can't imagine what it'd be like to have an empty nest, but by the time it happens I may be really, really ready for it!

Not yet, though I'm sure I'll adapt. This is #3, and the other two are 6 and 8 years older. It's been difficult with each leaving, first for college and then permanently, but life is good. As much as I'd love to go back to when they were all still here, I'm even happier that they are successful and independent and don't need to be here. I'm not quite ready for the last to go, but I know that he will also flourish.

The last acceptance letter we were waiting for came in from RIT (Rochester Institute of Technology) came in today. :) I thought that they had told us that all the financial aid information would come with the acceptance. There was nothing in there about scholarships/financial aid. I wonder if that means that he gets nothing?

I thought that I wasn't ready for my only to go but then he started talking of staying home and going to our local university. I quickly realized I don't want that. It's time. I will miss him but I think he really needs to have this time on his own. The house will be so quiet but I'm sort of looking forward to it now.

UT admissions results came out today. He got CAP'd. Not the worst, which would be outright denied, but not the answer we were hoping for. Ugh.

The last acceptance letter we were waiting for came in from RIT (Rochester Institute of Technology) came in today. :) I thought that they had told us that all the financial aid information would come with the acceptance. There was nothing in there about scholarships/financial aid. I wonder if that means that he gets nothing?

DS got his acceptance today too with no financials. It doesn't mean they get nothing, that will come later.

DS got his acceptance today too with no financials. It doesn't mean they get nothing, that will come later.

Thanks! After thinking about it some more, I think that I was remembering them saying that the Early Decision acceptance came with the financials. Did he apply Chem E there, too?

Thanks! After thinking about it some more, I think that I was remembering them saying that the Early Decision acceptance came with the financials. Did he apply Chem E there, too?
He did apply chem eng but is also considering computer engineering. Remind me of your son's major?
I have read that RIT is really not great with scholarship money. DS will most likely be going to UB. RIT just won't be able to give us enough money.

He did apply chem eng but is also considering computer engineering. Remind me of your son's major?
I have read that RIT is really not great with scholarship money. DS will most likely be going to UB. RIT just won't be able to give us enough money.

My son is going for chemical engineering which is why I remembered that your son might be interested in that. I think we're in the same boat. RIT is not going to give us enough money, and he is really happy with UB anyway. He already has it pretty much in his mind that he'll be in Buffalo next year. RIT just doesn't need to give out the money. My husband and I both graduated from RIT, but it was a lot less expensive in ancient times. :)

I've been lurking here, but wanted to share that my son got his acceptance to his #1, Cornell College in Iowa. (They are on a block system, one course at a time.) He's super excited, and dad & I are now waiting on the financial aid package.

My daughter didn't get scholarship notification for one school until about 2 months after she was accepted. The school said all scholarship awards would be completed by March 1st. Maybe check the school website, sometimes it's a bit hidden.

Congratulations!

I've been lurking here, but wanted to share that my son got his acceptance to his #1, Cornell College in Iowa. (They are on a block system, one course at a time.) He's super excited, and dad & I are now waiting on the financial aid package.
Welcome and congratulations to your DS! Does he know what he's like to study? I just peeked at Cornell and the "one course at a time" thing looks interesting. I could see how that would work well for some kids :).

I am feeling like a slacker parent right now!!! DD is at Accepted Students Day for one of her top choice schools. She was really excited about the whole thing! All on her own, she signed up for it, made arrangements to spend last night on campus with a friend from softball, and drove herself up there last night. I texted her to ask how it was going this morning, and she answered back that it turns out Accepted Students day is for kids AND THEIR PARENTS! She thought it was for kids (sort of like orientation) and is feeling a bit like a fish out of water because she's all by herself! I feel really bad! I never read anything about it because she did everything all on her own.

Welcome and congratulations to your DS! Does he know what he's like to study? I just peeked at Cornell and the "one course at a time" thing looks interesting. I could see how that would work well for some kids :).

He's loved the concept since he found out about it, yet my other two hate it. Right now he is leaning towards history and biology. He loves both subjects, and wouldn't mind teaching them. History is his favorite, and he's looking for more careers he could do with it.

UT admissions results came out today. He got CAP'd. Not the worst, which would be outright denied, but not the answer we were hoping for. Ugh.

We had a friend who went through a similar program at Tech, I was extremely impressed. The advisors and tutors helped him so much that first semester. He is now carrying a 3.5 GPA. So I would encourage your DS to at least consider it.

Congrats! We all love it when our kids get the school they truly want. (Mine DS is still working on that.)

I am feeling like a slacker parent right now!!! DD is at Accepted Students Day for one of her top choice schools. She was really excited about the whole thing! All on her own, she signed up for it, made arrangements to spend last night on campus with a friend from softball, and drove herself up there last night. I texted her to ask how it was going this morning, and she answered back that it turns out Accepted Students day is for kids AND THEIR PARENTS! She thought it was for kids (sort of like orientation) and is feeling a bit like a fish out of water because she's all by herself! I feel really bad! I never read anything about it because she did everything all on her own.

How awesome that she took the initiative and was confident enough to do all that by herself. You should be proud that you raised such a strong daughter and you know she is ready for college.

We had a friend who went through a similar program at Tech, I was extremely impressed. The advisors and tutors helped him so much that first semester. He is now carrying a 3.5 GPA. So I would encourage your DS to at least consider it.

I've heard good things as well. He is thinking about it. They give you one week until the contract becomes available. Pressure.

It's just disheartening that a kid with honors and distinctions out the wazoo could end up in this predicament. A&M offered him a half-tuition scholarship. He may end up taking it.

Something similar happened to me. Kenyon was having a "Summer Science Day" for kids entering their senior year. I called and asked if it was just for students or should parents come too? Was told it was for the students and parents wouldn't have anything to do. So I didn't go. Turns out my DD was the only one (well, according to her) without a parent. I, like you, felt really bad. But 7 years later, my DD tells me she felt very responsible and learned self confidence from the experience. And kudos to you for not helicoptering!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter