Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

In the past week DD got signed up for finding roommates for her suite. After answering the questions, it shows you who matches up the best. The first girl on the list she really wants to have, so she requested to be roommates. But it's been 5 days and no response. I figure she's not checking in on the site. DD says if I wasn't checking on it she wouldn't be on it either, and that I'm more worried about it than she is (true). But I'd rather she got this worked out than let the apartment put her with whoever on 6/30. She thought maybe in a few more days she would message the girl on Facebook, and in the meantime, maybe put out a couple more requests.

She is waitlisted for both at this point.
She and the roommate were in half a quad. Without a guaranteed roomie, dd drops to the waitlist for the towers hall. And she has to wait to maybe July to get assigned a roomie.
Even if she found someone that was going there to room with, the pair of them would still be waitlisted for that hall. She totally loses her place on the reservation list.

In the past week DD got signed up for finding roommates for her suite. After answering the questions, it shows you who matches up the best. The first girl on the list she really wants to have, so she requested to be roommates. But it's been 5 days and no response. I figure she's not checking in on the site. DD says if I wasn't checking on it she wouldn't be on it either, and that I'm more worried about it than she is (true). But I'd rather she got this worked out than let the apartment put her with whoever on 6/30. She thought maybe in a few more days she would message the girl on Facebook, and in the meantime, maybe put out a couple more requests.
Why is she going to wait a few days? She should message her on FB now so she can move on if the girl is not interested.

She is waitlisted for both at this point.
She and the roommate were in half a quad. Without a guaranteed roomie, dd drops to the waitlist for the towers hall. And she has to wait to maybe July to get assigned a roomie.
Even if she found someone that was going there to room with, the pair of them would still be waitlisted for that hall. She totally loses her place on the reservation list.
That really does stink :(.

ETA: I'm surprised that your DD didn't get a message from the housing department that she was waitlisted when they were told that the other girl was not attending the college.

Last edited:
Ds had orientation on Tuesday and Wednesday last week. We stayed in his dorm building so I was able to make a good list of what he will need as I thought of it while we were there.

He saw his roommate crossing a street in the town square the night before orientation so we caught up to his family and they met. Very nice grandparents and aunt. Don't know the story on where his parents are. The roommate's grandfather is retired from the college and still maintains an office on campus. That's pretty neat.

So ds registered for his classes, got his student id, began to learn his way around campus, has his meal plan, has eaten on campus- not bad food at all, has signed up for clubs and met others in his area of study both incoming students and students a few years ahead of him and his academic advisor. He's well on his way. We now just need to shop and move him in in August. The next 2 months are free and clear for him!

DS just attended NSO or new student orientation last week too. It was amazing! He stayed in the dorms (we were in a hotel!) It was fun for me to go back and see the campus again and show him my old dorm! He got his student ID and registered for his fall classes... this is getting real!! He's actually going up for the summer program, so he leaves in less than a month for that! He's had those 2 classes for months now... Prom is Friday... Graduation is June 7th....Where has the time gone???

My daughter got a room mate request. They matched except one question which is food dietary but nothing big just preference. DD sent her an email and girl responded. Music and hobbies are different but calm so not bad. We told DD to checkout the other list of roommates to see if anyone else stood out and she might want to room with. She did. At this point a few emails have been exchanged between DD and the girl. DD and girl seem to be a good match. She seems really smart, nice and considerate. DD accept her request. Girl asked DD is she would like to meet beforehand and asked about her likes and dislike in decorating so she doesn't pick something my DD likes. I thought that was really sweet. They haven't talke din about a week due to busy end of school stuff. Hopefully when they meet they will be good for each other. Thtough the emails it seems like a good match. I was so worried about DD getting someone crazy, rude etc.
DS just attended NSO or new student orientation last week too. It was amazing! He stayed in the dorms (we were in a hotel!) It was fun for me to go back and see the campus again and show him my old dorm! He got his student ID and registered for his fall classes... this is getting real!! He's actually going up for the summer program, so he leaves in less than a month for that! He's had those 2 classes for months now... Prom is Friday... Graduation is June 7th....Where has the time gone???
DD does have orientation until august which she will move in to her dorm a week early and they will have orientation/acticities all week. Following week classes start

Last prom dress fitting tonight.

Dd college roommate (planned for 9 months) graduated from her school Saturday. Our dd saw a snap post from a girl at that school that she couldn't wait to be her roommate at xyz school. Dd sent roommate girl a text, she said oh my mom was going to call your parents later. Yeah, she switched schools. Dd is now at mercy of "wait list" as she isn't confirmed since other girl drop out. We won't even know if she got in the towers until July 1! Stress!!!!
We know tons of kids just show up and whatever. But having plans since last August, coordinating purchases for items, and all that ripped out from under you is hard when you are headed out of state. Plus not having an assignment when they overbook the halls and at least two dozen kids get stuck in the lounges until they see who doesn't show up is just a little more than dd wants to face right now.

The girl was completely inconsiderate. She could have given your dd a heads up as soon as she was considering another school, smh. Hopefully, your daughter still gets into her preferred choice. That's awful that the school overbooks! My dd was given a dorm and roommate assignment but when she contacted the young lady, she said it was a mistake because she's a commuter. So now she's awaiting a new roommate assignment. I just hope it's a good match whomever it is.

That is awful what your DDs roommate did to her:( My DD chose a roommate thru Her FSU roommate Facebook page. The school assigns each student a number based on when you signed up and paid for housing. My daughter was really considering Temple so we signed up for FSU housing late. Her number is in the 6700's, lol. The school then assigns you a date and time when you can log into the system and choose a dorm room. She can't choose until June 22nd:( We live out of state so just hoping and praying she gets a room!!

My daughter's window to pick a room at FSU opens later today (number in the 1300's). She doesn't have a roommate lined up and I'm a little worried about the roommate situation. She knows some girls from HS but doesn't want to room with any of them and the school doesn't seem to put any effort into helping them find someone compatible.

Senior awards is in two days!!! DD got and invite to go. If she got a scholarship would she know beforehand or not until the night of?

It depends on how your school does it.

My daughter got invited to hers but we knew she would because of being a National Merit scholar. She will also probably be a presidential scholar. Nothing has been said about winning any scholarships. I believe kids don't know that until the ceremony.

My daughter finds out her dorm and roommate assignment on Thursday. Her school doesn't give numbers based on when a deposit was made which is good. She's just hoping she's on the main campus.

My daughter's window to pick a room at FSU opens later today (number in the 1300's). She doesn't have a roommate lined up and I'm a little worried about the roommate situation. She knows some girls from HS but doesn't want to room with any of them and the school doesn't seem to put any effort into helping them find someone compatible.
At least she will have a decent choice of dorms. I heard that there are still rooms in the new dorm Magnolia still available

Landis (Honors dorm) will be her first choice and Magnolia is her second. She's hoping for a first floor room in the middle of the hallway

Landis (Honors dorm) will be her first choice and Magnolia is her second. She's hoping for a first floor room in the middle of the hallway
My daughter didn't get into Honors for the fall bc we didn't know she had to apply separately for that. Every other school she applied to you are automatically considered for their Honors Program. In fact she got into each of them. We were told this was a new procedure for the school starting not that long ago. She can apply to get in during the late fall for spring semester

I hope she gets Landis. It's in a great location right in front of the green. I could have spent an entire day laying out on the green under those giant trees!!

if you have capital one they had the family plan for 1/2 off til April, 2018.

It depends on how your school does it.

My daughter got invited to hers but we knew she would because of being a National Merit scholar. She will also probably be a presidential scholar. Nothing has been said about winning any scholarships. I believe kids don't know that until the ceremony.

My daughter finds out her dorm and roommate assignment on Thursday. Her school doesn't give numbers based on when a deposit was made which is good. She's just hoping she's on the main campus.

My daughter wanted to get into the First Year Freshman Experience Dorm. We put a deposit down back in March or April even before she commited. We were told by doing that she had a better chance of getting into the dorm she wanted. She got a roommate request 2 weeks ago and after a few emails she accepted. In 2-3 weeks they can pick out which room and floor they want. We have one more week until graduation, 2 week until her party. After that we can focus on college stuff and shopping. I can't believe it, seems just like yesterday she was a lil toddler walking around :(

I am so excited right now, I'm bursting!!!! Normally I'm updating you guys about DD (class of 2017). But today I have awesome news about my DS (class of 2015). He just finished his 2nd year at UVA. He planned to be a Finance major, but UVA's undergrad business school is #5 in the country and acceptance is super competitive. DS applied at the beginning of this last semester and got deferred. 129 kids were deferred, and after interviews, additional essays and 2nd semester grades, approximately 60% from the deferred list get admitted. We've been on pins and needles for the past couple of weeks. He got the good news today - HE GOT IN!!!!!!! I am one proud mama!

Congrats!!!! My oldest 2 are the same ages- we are entering the poorest two years of our lives with 2 in college. :)

When they were doing budget cuts at our school in order to appease the music and arts parents (they ALWAYS cut those first so there was screaming about cutting equally arts music and sports for once)-they announced that they would be cutting golf, bowling and swimming- all of the "not cool" sports- one of the BOE members was overheard saying that "the swim teams greatest accomplishment is that no one has ever drowned"- as sad as I am for her to be moving on. She purposely picked a university where sports were not a HUGH deal- no "everyone to the football game Friday night" type thing!

Wow. That is absolutely infuriating. I don't think they should be cutting any of these programs, but finding more money to pay for them. How sad.

My DD found a roommate on the accepted students Facebook group for her college.

Senior awards is in two days!!! DD got and invite to go. If she got a scholarship would she know beforehand or not until the night of?

Not at our school you don't - some are just awards like perfect attendance in grade school, or a phys ed award- at our school there are tons of local type money scholarships, including one that is 10,000 (didn't even apply for that one because this one family with 4 kids, all three other kids have gotten that one when they are seniors and the last kid is graduating this year so all odds are on that it is going to her so didn't waste the time applying) Our alumni organization gives out over 40 different ones (you can win more than one) and I am alumni so she is eligible for those.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter