Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

All the "firsts" for college and all the "lasts" at high school have made me teary. I flat out cried at sports banquet, four long hard years over. I was misty at the store when we found the graduation dress!
I will definitely need a touch up of powder and mascara at the ceremony before pictures!
It's funny because I can barely remember my wedding date, but my kids make me putty inside!

Last edited:
All the "firsts" for college and all the "lasts" at high school have made me testy. I flat out cried at sports banquet, four long hard years over. I was musty at the store when we found the graduation dress!
I will definitely need a touch up of powder and mascara at the ceremony before pictures!
It's funny because I can barely remember my wedding date, but my kids make me putty inside!

Next week is the final chorus concert for my daughter and in it the seniors do the "senior melody"- each senior gets a solo part in it and I already know I am going to be crying! Then scholarship night in June- crying again....

August?? How in the world do the kids get teachers and other kids to sign them if its after school has ended????

Our school doesn't get them until later either and signing yearbooks is just not a thing now because of that.

Exactly...there is no signing of the yearbooks at his school. It's just not a thing. I was surprised when he started, but I guess it would seem normal to the kids now.

DD has been done with classes since the end of April. The seniors spend the month of May doing an independent project (they pick something they want to learn more about and explore it for 25-ish hours per week). DD is doing street photography and loving it!

Prom already happened and graduation is June 7. DD goes to an all girls school and they all wear white dresses for graduation - no caps and gowns.

We are both a bit sad - she loves her school and her friends!

DD has been done with classes since the end of April. The seniors spend the month of May doing an independent project (they pick something they want to learn more about and explore it for 25-ish hours per week). DD is doing street photography and loving it!

Prom already happened and graduation is June 7. DD goes to an all girls school and they all wear white dresses for graduation - no caps and gowns.

I love that! That is so cool. That's a great way to avoid senioritis.

What a great idea! My DD has been working her way thru the Disney movie collection - at this point, they are doing nothing. She has one final in Gov't which is a state mandated course and that is it, showing up everyday is just a funding to the school issue. Motivation is non-existent

My DD was working her way through The Office tv series at school. Literally just going for track practice, and Multimedia which is her "thing". But it's over now.

She went to work after grad practice today and her "replacement" was there. She will still have a job through the summer, but when the new lady is there DD gets the old computer and the conference room instead of her desk. Maybe it will be good for her to get more used to Windows in case she has a job that's not on a Mac (though in graphic design I would guess Mac is the norm). Most of the time I think they will be alternating days so it won't be a problem. Planning on working through July, then we go to Family Camp first full week of August and she can move in at college at the end of that week. Classes don't start for 2 weeks after, though, so I'll have to see if there is enough going on to warrant staying there for 2 weeks or get most of her stuff moved but live at home till closer to class start date.

Our school did away with grad projects three years ago. And community service hours requirement. They are pulling seniors grades Friday for awards and honors. But they don't have finals until the first week of June. So everything will not be based on their final, actual GPAs.

My "baby" is 18 today. I can't believe that this is all beginning to come to an end...

September will mark the first time in 21 years that I won't have someone getting ready for the first day of school. But I'll be too busy enjoying Disney World with my daughter to notice. :) We've decided on our first mother-daughter trip for the week that public school starts here.
Lizzy's bday is Monday. It seems like yesterday I was using your design for her 7th bday shirt.

She says she's done with Disney but I convinced her to go for part of the week that I'm taking Emma in August. She's excited to travel alone-I'm thinking getting to Disney will be easier than getting home from Oswego so this will be good practice for her. I'm looking forward to a girls only trip with the two of them before we drop her off for school. Joe will be at Boy Scout camp. We're doing a family trip from her orientation-to Niagara Falls and Ontario.

Today is her last of school except that they have to go in for a few hours most of the days the next 2 weeks for safety training, community service, field day, year book signing, Senior night practice, Grad practice...last night was Arts night. She got awards for both band and art. Actual graduation is June 3rd. My other 2 get out June 23rd.

My DS's school had a senior night last night for the theater kids. They got to get up and perform anything they wanted. My DS sang a duet with a friend, and they also did a dramatic scene together. Other kids did monologues, scenes or skits. The highlight for me was my DS singing "Out There" from Hunchback. I may be biased, but it was beautiful! He's going off to college in August to pursue his BFA in Musical Theater. I'm excited for him to dive into his new program, but I'll be sad not to hear him sing on stage for over a year! He won't be allowed to audition for a show until his Sophomore year, and then you can bet that DH and I will hop on a plane to see him perform! Freshman have very busy class schedules and are put to work backstage, which is the norm for most programs like his. He's doing two more shows this summer before he leaves. After that, I'll have to listen to recordings of him singing!

My dd's last day of school was today. They have a tradition of meeting their deans near the subway in the morning and they make one final walk together to school as a class. They listen to music, sing, dance as the walk the few blocks to school. When they enter, faculty and students greet them and cheer them on. They get to wear their senior t-shirts and jeans so yesterday was her very last day in uniform (catholic school). Close to the final bell, they come together in the cafeteria and have a countdown to the dismissal bell. That's when pandemonium erupts lol. They scream, cheer, cry, hug, dance, take pics, etc. They received their yearbooks the day before so today is when ppl start to sign them. I've been emotional since She brought it home.

Now it's fun stuff. Prom next week, then the following week is the athletic banquet, grad practice/BBQ, Senior Class Day (awards and such), and then graduation June 3rd. She's so excited to be free. She said she can sleep for a few days now lol.

I just spent 2 hours talking with other parents about our neighborhood graduation party. I suggested the potato party idea, but we're catering subs instead and somehow I got stuck with decorating. I just wasted 30 minutes watching balloon arch videos because one of the parents *really* wanted one. I just started a pinterest page to keep everything in one place. T-minus three weeks!

I just spent 2 hours talking with other parents about our neighborhood graduation party. I suggested the potato party idea, but we're catering subs instead and somehow I got stuck with decorating. I just wasted 30 minutes watching balloon arch videos because one of the parents *really* wanted one. I just started a pinterest page to keep everything in one place. T-minus three weeks!

I've learned that when in a group planning situation and someone HAS to have something a certain way to assign that to them. in this situation my reply would have been, "great I'll put you down for the arch. Let me know the colors/size and I'll coordinate."

DD had her Softball Senior Night this past Thursday. DH and I got presented on the field with her. She got gifts from her team, and they painted the field with her number, had posters, a pot luck dinner with cake. It was great! They won their game that night and had their first playoff game today. They lost... And I lost it. When she walked off the field for the very last time, I burst into tears. I've been watching this child play softball every season since she was 5 years old. I just can't believe I don't get to do that anymore.:sad:

I've learned that when in a group planning situation and someone HAS to have something a certain way to assign that to them. in this situation my reply would have been, "great I'll put you down for the arch. Let me know the colors/size and I'll coordinate."
She is not crafty but she offered to help me. She's not very reliable though. She's in charge of the sound system because she knows a DJ and that'll be enough for her.

DD had her Softball Senior Night this past Thursday. DH and I got presented on the field with her. She got gifts from her team, and they painted the field with her number, had posters, a pot luck dinner with cake. It was great! They won their game that night and had their first playoff game today. They lost... And I lost it. When she walked off the field for the very last time, I burst into tears. I've been watching this child play softball every season since she was 5 years old. I just can't believe I don't get to do that anymore.:sad:
I hear you. My DD is swims and she's been competing since she was 5. Thanks to her terrible HS coach she won't be swimming in college but she is swimming in the rec league this summer. I will be a wreck on the last weekend of July.

Senior week is over. Everyday they had a different event. My two favorites were Acceptance Day and the Senior Walk. For Senior Walk, the seniors go through each school in the district in cap and gown and the teachers and kids come out to applaud the seniors. Some schools have different themes or decorate the school with the kids' pictures. Acceptance Day every student who is attending college, a trade school or joining the military walk across the stage to fanfare. Local scholarships were also presented. Both boys got a few scholarships and one received the Lamar award (the scholars award) even though it did not come with money, he was very excited. Tomorrow is their reception at church followed. Sometimes I really love living in a small town. :lovestruc

Well as of just after 9 this morning, DD's track career is over too. Finished with 6th, 23rd, and 18th placings at State (out of 24). No school record achieved, but she did finally meet her goal on times for her 400s. She feels good about being done. It's been fun, but hard on her body. Weather was pretty crummy this weekend but didn't come out and pour at least. Chilly and misty.

Our kids did a walk through of the HS and elementary in their caps and gowns Wednesday. Tomorrow is a small reception for graduates at church and the ceremony in the afternoon.

Well as of just after 9 this morning, DD's track career is over too. Finished with 6th, 23rd, and 18th placings at State (out of 24). No school record achieved, but she did finally meet her goal on times for her 400s.
That is AWESOME! Congratulations to her! What a fantastic way to finish out her senior year.

We had senior night for lacrosse last week and for some unknown reason I wasn't a mess. BUT they made it to the playoffs for the first time since the lacrosse program started at our high school (only 4 years ago). They made it to the second round and had to play the #1 team yesterday BUT I was scheduled to work all day (11:30-8) I also missed the last 5 games bc of my job. Well I was a blubbering mess all morning and all the way into work. I tried to find someone to come in to replace my shift but couldn't find anyone:( My frontend manager and store manager found out it was my DD's last game ever and a playoff game and pushed me out the door at 3:00 on our busiest/craziest day!!! I cried the whole way there knowing they would most likely lose, but was extremely happy just to see her play one last time:-) and extremely sad at the same time:sad:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter