Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

Coming out of lurkdom to say that my DD is choosing between Hamilton and Colby. We are right down to the wire. Good luck to all.

Has your DD made her decision yet? Mine has not and we're really running out of time!

Our decision won't come until the UW gets back to us. We're on their timeline not ours.

We have a decision - DD is going to Bates! She's still going to remain on the waitlist at a few schools, but she understands that her chances of coming off the waitlist are not good. I'm hoping she can put the waitlist out of her mind and just get excited about her decision.

Well, my DD and I LOVE the FSU campus:) We attended preview day for accepted students yesterday and we have the entire day today to explore the campus some more and check out the local food store, fresh Amish market and CVS so she knows where to shop locally. We are having a great time and we are beginning to feel much better about her attending FSU instead of Temple:cheer2:
That is great news!

My daughter now has a college AND a room mate- she and this girl matched themselves up off the google docs room mate search thing so she is very relieved all that is done! Now all that is left is waiting to hear how many scholarships she will be getting at scholarship night in June-I know she has two local ones for sure but hoping on some others too!
Whew.....relief. Crossing fingers for the scholarships!

We have a decision - DD is going to Bates! She's still going to remain on the waitlist at a few schools, but she understands that her chances of coming off the waitlist are not good. I'm hoping she can put the waitlist out of her mind and just get excited about her decision.
Moving right along!

Bjscheels - Your DD's dress for prom was stunning!

Graduation here is June 3rd in the evening - we are hosting some sort of brunch. Graduation is followed by ProjectGrad, an all night party, I do not know if DD is planning to attend.
I'm beginning to wonder where the announcements are that I ordered. I need to track them down.
DD has AP/IB testing coming up other than that she really is not doing all that much. Most of her classes are IB and there are no finals as everyone is prepping for the testing. DD is only taking two IB tests and two AP so she is in kinda skate mode.

Things have been really chaotic the past few weeks. My FIL passed away on Saturday following several months of rapid decline and DH and I have to head to Florida next week for a service. Due to testing, DD will not be going with us. My DS has departed for Nevada and his new traveling PT assignment. As he pulled out of the driveway last night he just kept saying......I'll be back in a month for graduation. Didn't help, I'm still a wreck this morning.
Several family members that were supposed to attend DD's graduation are cancelling due to the added expense of having to attend my FIL's service, plus a few aunts/uncles flew off to FL in the last weeks of his life and thus several have exhausted travel funds. I feel bad for DD as she was really looking forward to having family here but it is what it is.

That is great news!

Whew.....relief. Crossing fingers for the scholarships!

Moving right along!

Bjscheels - Your DD's dress for prom was stunning!

Graduation here is June 3rd in the evening - we are hosting some sort of brunch. Graduation is followed by ProjectGrad, an all night party, I do not know if DD is planning to attend.
I'm beginning to wonder where the announcements are that I ordered. I need to track them down.
DD has AP/IB testing coming up other than that she really is not doing all that much. Most of her classes are IB and there are no finals as everyone is prepping for the testing. DD is only taking two IB tests and two AP so she is in kinda skate mode.

Things have been really chaotic the past few weeks. My FIL passed away on Saturday following several months of rapid decline and DH and I have to head to Florida next week for a service. Due to testing, DD will not be going with us. My DS has departed for Nevada and his new traveling PT assignment. As he pulled out of the driveway last night he just kept saying......I'll be back in a month for graduation. Didn't help, I'm still a wreck this morning.
Several family members that were supposed to attend DD's graduation are cancelling due to the added expense of having to attend my FIL's service, plus a few aunts/uncles flew off to FL in the last weeks of his life and thus several have exhausted travel funds. I feel bad for DD as she was really looking forward to having family here but it is what it is.

Sorry to hear about your FIL. Is your DD ok with not going to the service? It's already such a busy time, I can't imagine what your family is going through.

Somehow I didn't realize how fast AP exams are coming up. They start next week! My son has one every day next Wednesday-Friday and then Monday-Thursday of the following week. He doesn't seem panicked yet. :) After that, I hope that they ease up a bit on the homework for the last month and a half of school, though usually there are projects to do at the end of the year so that they aren't "wasting" time. I think I'm getting a bit of senioritis because "wasting time" sounds pretty good right now.

This is DD's last week of classes. She's happy but I think it's bittersweet - she loves her school and her friends and part of her doesn't want it to end. Prom was Saturday night, AP exams next week, then she starts her senior independent project (she's doing street photography, so she'll spend 5-6 hours a day going around Boston taking pictures). Graduation is June 7. I think the next few weeks are going to fly by!

Omg- heard from northeastern today regarding my financial aid appeal- they came back with 7,000 a more in aid per year bringing my parental contribution down to 6,200 a year! Omg I am on cloud nine right now! Basically her entire tuition is covered plus part of her room and board! And it's guaranteed all four years!!

Omg- heard from northeastern today regarding my financial aid appeal- they came back with 7,000 a more in aid per year bringing my parental contribution down to 6,200 a year! Omg I am on cloud nine right now! Basically her entire tuition is covered plus part of her room and board! And it's guaranteed all four years!!
That is fantastic! Wow, congratulations

I'm sorry to hear about your FIL {{hugs}}. I'm also sorry that means fewer family will be there for your DD's graduation.

OMG! So envious! So happy for you.

Sorry to hear about your FIL. Is your DD ok with not going to the service? It's already such a busy time, I can't imagine what your family is going through.
DD is ok with not going, due to distance she has never been close to her Grandparents. She will be staying home Thur/Fri by herself with the dog. Friday night she will take the train after school and head to a friends where they will then head out to the Girlscout camp where she is working all weekend. DH and I will return Saturday night. Whirlwind trip to FL, I'm bummed we will be close to WDW but no time to visit.
Between FIL, end of the year grad planning, the Gap year decision, a week of out of town guests and Son departing, I'm completely drained. This weekend I have no plans, none, nada, zilch. I need a really long nap. DD and I are planning a hold down the couch and binge watch Blacklist day.

DD is ok with not going, due to distance she has never been close to her Grandparents. She will be staying home Thur/Fri by herself with the dog. Friday night she will take the train after school and head to a friends where they will then head out to the Girlscout camp where she is working all weekend. DH and I will return Saturday night. Whirlwind trip to FL, I'm bummed we will be close to WDW but no time to visit.
Between FIL, end of the year grad planning, the Gap year decision, a week of out of town guests and Son departing, I'm completely drained. This weekend I have no plans, none, nada, zilch. I need a really long nap. DD and I are planning a hold down the couch and binge watch Blacklist day.

I'm sorry for your loss and the added stress. Your weekend sounds perfect. DS has no tennis this weekend and I've asked him not to make any plans - he really needs to focus on making his college decision and studying for the AP Euro Exam on Monday.

ETA: apparently it's AP Environmental on Monday...Euro is not for two weeks! My bad.

Last edited:
Hi all! I can't believe I didn't know this thread was here. I have been pulling my hair out dealing with DD and college decisions.

After a long and arduous journey she has been accepted to Northeastern (I nixed this one...too expensive), University of Minnesota College of Biological Science and Loyola.

She initially insisted she loved Loyola and wanted to go there. Even with generous merit aid it is about $5000 a year more than U of MN, which frankly is a better school than Loyola. We decided that she would take out loans for the difference between Loyola and U of MN. I researched Loyola's pre med advising and it is actually pretty solid.

Well...then we attended Loyola's admitted students weekend. She got to meet some of the girls she had been corresponding with via Facebook. She was upset because a lot of the students knew each other, and were "rich suburban white girls" (for the record she is a middle class suburban white girl). She cried for 2 days!!! Her life was over!

So I decided to be the understanding parent: "it is fine if Loyola is not what you thought. The University of Minnesota is a great school with EVERY kind of student, I am sure you will find your niche."

Aaaaaand last night she informs me she has decided to go to Loyola and will transfer after her Freshman year of it doesn't work out...oh, but now she does not want to study biology, she wants to be an English teacher. Lord give me strength to deal with melodramatic indecisive teens!

Hugs to you @mamacatnv.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter