Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

I am not a parent of a kid who is graduating in 2017, but I am very close to a parent who has a kid graduating in that year as I am that kid. I just want to say I haven't read all the posts here from the parents but as a kid graduating in June I need to give a huge shout out to all of you and especially my Mom. You all helped us get here in many ways and shaped us for our futures and should be commended for that. I can tell you there were many days that Mom insisted I get up early on a Saturday for Dance practice when I wanted to sleep and now I am going to NYU to study Dance and pursue my dream. There were also the many late nights helping me with School Projects that I certainly would have not have been able to get done on my own. The countless nights where my brain felt like I was exploding from studying for the SAT's and Mom having just the right words for me. Also the social events of doing my hair and make up and helping me pick out just the right dress and shoes. Attending all the Theater Programs and Choir Programs. My Mom also did all the this on her own as my Dad has not been in my life and also while owning her own business. That is just my Mom(Parent). I know most of the parents have done most of the same thing I listed and even some more as I didn't even play sports in High School. So as we go across that stage and get our diploma you all will share a huge piece of it as well.

Your mom is lucky to have such a sweet daughter who appreciates all that has been done for her. I'm sure she is so proud of you! Thank you for posting:)

Your mom is lucky to have such a sweet daughter who appreciates all that has been done for her. I'm sure she is so proud of you! Thank you for posting:)
Thanks, I know I have also drove her crazy a few times during my High School years as well. :) Most of my friends say my Mom and I are exactly like Lorelai and Rory Gilmore from the old T.V. Show The Gilmore Girls and we kind of are. I think we both make each others world go around in some weird way or another. :)

Her first choice was Temple, which is about 30-40 min from home. She took her ACTs a second time and did great but Temple wouldn't accept her score so she was only offered $5,000 per yr compared to roughly $24,000 per yr. We appealed the scholarship offer, they made us wait a month and a half before they said sorry, can't offer any more $. So.... off to FSU we went!!
I meant other than Temple. I hope things are going well for you.

Good luck to everyone still deciding! DH, DS18, and I visited UMass Amherst on Tuesday as part of their 'YouMass' days program. We got to go to an informational session on their Honors College program, ask questions of current students, take tours, and DS was part of a mock class with one of the professors.
We also got to dine on campus. The college was voted #1 by the Princeton Review for college dining! And, I could see why. The amount and quality of selections was amazing! I would choose them just for the food, lol.
The weather was beautiful and we had a good time. I don't think DS is quite ready to let go of the BC dream, but we are getting close. At the end of the day I told him we could go to the school store if he wanted and he chose to get a UMass baseball cap. That is a good sign!

DS and DH are headed to UMass Amherst tomorrow for "YouMass" day. We've already paid our deposit so I'm pretty sure this is his final decision.

Congratulations!

We ordered our announcements this week. Separate from the invitation order that was done in February. Does anyone's local paper do an article listing graduate and school?
Our local paper does the 25 kids in each district- puts their pictures, d what college they are going to.

I meant other than Temple. I hope things are going well for you.
She applied to Rutgers (to appease us), Syracuse, Temple, FSU and Boston College.She was waitlisted at BC, and accepted everywhere else. It just came down to where they "show me the money":-) Syracuse offered $25,000 a yr but costs $62,000. So a tab bit more than Temple. Just from walking thru the campus late this afternoon I can tell you it's beautiful. Tomorrow is Accepted students preview day. I can almost guarantee she will choose FSU. She is out now hanging with someone who graduated from our high school and attends FSU and her friends. I'll be lucky to get her back to New Jersey!!!!!

Well, my DD and I LOVE the FSU campus:) We attended preview day for accepted students yesterday and we have the entire day today to explore the campus some more and check out the local food store, fresh Amish market and CVS so she knows where to shop locally. We are having a great time and we are beginning to feel much better about her attending FSU instead of Temple:cheer2:

Well, my DD and I LOVE the FSU campus:) We attended preview day for accepted students yesterday and we have the entire day today to explore the campus some more and check out the local food store, fresh Amish market and CVS so she knows where to shop locally. We are having a great time and we are beginning to feel much better about her attending FSU instead of Temple:cheer2:

I am so glad that you liked it. My son is so excited to be headed to FSU.

GREAT!!!!!!

DD finally heard from UMass Amherst. She was accepted. She's not going as we made a decision weeks ago.

Great news! Now you'll have another reason to go to Florida!

DD finally heard from UMass Amherst. She was accepted. She's not going as we made a decision weeks ago.
It's insane that it took that long! When we visited recently, they said they had gotten $44,000 applications or something like that. It is the most in the school's history. Sounds like they didn't have the man power to handle them all.

So glad to hear that you both love it!I hope that you enjoy the rest of your visit and that your DD is excited about her choice!

With some of you having prom already your school year must be winding down quickly! When does everyone finish up?
Prom is the first week of June here, and graduation is 6/16.

DD had an exciting weekend in track. She has tied class level records in pole vault the past couple of years, but a tie doesn't get her name on the record holder banner, so she set a goal to beat the senior/school record, and she did it! I'm so happy for her, and for me, because I didn't want to deal with that teaching moment if she didn't make it. lol

Congrats to all who have locked down college choices!

With some of you having prom already your school year must be winding down quickly! When does everyone finish up?

DD had an exciting weekend in track. She has tied class level records in pole vault the past couple of years, but a tie doesn't get her name on the record holder banner, so she set a goal to beat the senior/school record, and she did it! I'm so happy for her, and for me, because I didn't want to deal with that teaching moment if she didn't make it. lol

Congrats to all who have locked down college choices!

Prom is June 21 and graduation June 23

Last official day of school for DS is May 19th with finals and senior activities to follow.
Prom is June 1st and graduation is June 3rd.
DS is done before DD and I. Our last day of school is June 19th.

My DS is at prom right now! Graduation is May19th. Coming up way too quickly...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter