Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

My DS is hoping for a career performing in musical theater, with Broadway being the ultimate goal. Many graduates perform in touring shows, theme parks, cruise ships, etc. We know a guy who went straight to Broadway after graduating from a musical theater college program. One of my friends travels around the country performing in regional theater shows. DS's voice teacher sang on a cruise ship and then directed a youth theater program when she wanted to settle down and have kids. It's a competitive industry and some end up going to other professions to make ends meet. We discussed with DS at length the career options if he goes the musical theater route. He's totally onboard for wherever it takes him. My mom wants him to major in something more practical and get a steady job with benefits. But, he's a natural performer. We have to let him try. Should be an interesting ride for all of us!
Sounds so exciting! Your son is so lucky to have your support in his endeavors and it is obvious he has a great deal of talent, I hope he gets his dream school!
I know I tend to lean towards the practical w/benefits and while this worked well for DS its not going to suit DD, I struggle with this every single day.

I think we are done...and the winner is University of Pittsburgh. It's out of state for us and not our cheapest option, but it's (just slightly) over our Max budget and I think it offers everything she wants academically. I'm so proud!

Congrats!!!!! Had to say that our neighbors daughter went to Pitt and loved it! Out of state for her as well. She met her now husband there, who was from Philly. They dated starting as Freshman, graduated and both stayed in Pittsburgh. They both got jobs and married at Pitt. We went to the wedding and it was gorgeous. The chapel was lovely. They now own a home and have a baby.

I think we are done...and the winner is University of Pittsburgh. It's out of state for us and not our cheapest option, but it's (just slightly) over our Max budget and I think it offers everything she wants academically. I'm so proud!

Congrats! It must feel good to have the decision made!

Congratulations! You and she must be very relieved!

That's awesome!!! Congratulations.

Pitt is one of my daughter's choices that she's seriously leaning towards. Still waiting on #1.

Pitt is an awesome school that offers so much.

Congrats, sounds like a great fit for your DD. You should be proud, great accomplishment!

That's awesome!!! Congratulations.

Pitt is one of my daughter's choices that she's seriously leaning towards. Still waiting on #1.

Pitt is an awesome school that offers so much.
If she chooses it, let me know. Maybe we can connect the girls. Mine got into her number 1 choice, but it was more than $10k more than Pitt. It was not affordable for us at all. As it is, we are seriously stretching for Pitt.

If she chooses it, let me know. Maybe we can connect the girls. Mine got into her number 1 choice, but it was more than $10k more than Pitt. It was not affordable for us at all. As it is, we are seriously stretching for Pitt.

I definitely will. My daughter's #1 is about $30,000 more than Pitt. She got a scholarship from Pitt which covers the out of state premium. Unless #1 gives her a huge scholarship it isn't going to happen.

Congrats!!!! Can't wait till we can say that!!

Sorry I dropped out for a while. It sounds like there are some very exciting things going on. Congrats to all of those!
And to those who things are not the outcome hoped for, I am so sorry. Even though DS2 has great opportunities ahead of him, he is still carrying around the disappointment of his rejection. While I know it hurts, I feel he needs to give it up and be grateful for what he has. We are now faced with the decision of how to complete school. He is having surgery on May 1st. The minimum time he has to miss school is 2 weeks, after that he will be able to attend part-time. If he does this, the absences are just excused and he will have to attend Saturday school as well as take finals. If he goes homebound, he will have to miss all the senior "fun stuff." But he is the one who wanted the surgery as soon as possible, after tennis season is over, and did not want to wait until the summer. :sad2:

Good luck to those still waiting on decisions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter