Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

DD got 1st in the 400 at the indoor track meet yesterday, out of 34, and 4th in the 200. Her 400 wasn't a time that would win at every meet, but we're thinking on a full size track she may take a couple seconds off (this was a 200 meter track, so lots of turning). Nice confidence boost for the start of the season.

Probably said it before, but I feel for all of you still awaiting decisions. I hope everything turns out right for all your kids :grouphug:

I agree. @Tinijocaro, I know that you are proud of your DS ... we are all proud of our kids no matter what college they will attend: from Community College to Yale. I feel your new thread separates us: Ivy League elites to one thread and the rest of the "rabble" stays here. At the risk of sounding all butt-hurt, that makes me sad. I thought we were all in this together. I've been pulling for your DS to be accepted to his #1 school the same as I have for all the kids of the parents on this thread. I hope you get the answers you're looking for.

No one on the Ivy thread is elite. Anyone can apply, we have no decisions yet. Most likely, no one on that thread will get into an Ivy League school. I am actually part of the "rabble". So is dh and so are my kids.

Ivy decisions are done on the same day, around the same time-March 30, 5:00pm. That is the purpose of the Ivy thread-let's have a little countdown together. I never said Ivies are the best schools-they do happen to release their decisions on the same day and I thought it would be fun to commiserate or celebrate together as we wait for those decisions. Many people are waiting for those March 30 decisions.

Most likely ds won't get in, he isn't at all worried about it since it was a far reach. I'm shocked how many people get their undies in a ruffle over the smallest of things (not speaking specifially of you, robinb). I would never presume to tell people on an internet message board what threads they can or can not start. Don't read it if you don't like it. I pass over many, many threads that I think are boring, hurtful or inappropriate. I just don't read them. If the Ivy thread doesn't apply to you, move on to another thread that does. I'm done talking about this. Carry on.

DD got 1st in the 400 at the indoor track meet yesterday, out of 34, and 4th in the 200. Her 400 wasn't a time that would win at every meet, but we're thinking on a full size track she may take a couple seconds off (this was a 200 meter track, so lots of turning). Nice confidence boost for the start of the season.

Probably said it before, but I feel for all of you still awaiting decisions. I hope everything turns out right for all your kids :grouphug:

That is awesome!

Well, among all the lasts we have had recently, DS just had a 'first.' He was pulled over for the first time! :headache: He and his girlfriend were out Friday night in DH's car. Turns out the brake light bulbs had both blown out and we didn't realize. He didn't get a ticket or anything, but I know it was quite nerve wracking.

I can't believe they have not gotten back to you! I hope that your DD can relax and enjoy her spring break. Stressing about it will not make the decision come any faster {{hugs}}.

I know!!! It's torture:(( she enjoyed her birthday...about to have cake soon. She has to be at the HS by 4am:(((

Well, among all the lasts we have had recently, DS just had a 'first.' He was pulled over for the first time! :headache: He and his girlfriend were out Friday night in DH's car. Turns out the brake light bulbs had both blown out and we didn't realize. He didn't get a ticket or anything, but I know it was quite nerve wracking.

That's not the kind of first anyone needs!

I went last night to Niece's musical review at school. I thought the kids were talented, but OMG, did it last too long.

We have the music dept show in May and it features a senior melody-each senior in chorus gets their own solo featured part- this year chorus has the most seniors they have ever had- its going to be a long night!! June 8th is senior awards and scholarship night-it is ENDLESS lol- it starts at 6:30 and runs until about 11pm- I know my daughter has at least one scholarship so far so we will be going. The PTA gives out 36 $500.00 ones and only 33 kids applied so she is guaranteed one LOL

Well not a good night- first of the rejections came in- She did not get into her top choice school- Barnard. Her friend was waitlisted and another girl in her high school got in. I am so glad she got into Northeastern because it is easing the blow a bit- she has been in a group me with hundreds of kids that got accepted into Northeastern and they all talk a LOT in there.
I'm sorry, it sucks that they all can't go where they want.

Well we've plunged into complete craziness this week! My DS auditioned for 10 very competitive musical theater programs. Getting into one or two would have sent him over the moon. As of this past Wednesday he had received three acceptances and one waitlist (his top choice). Yesterday he was informed that his waitlist status is now "primary alternate" status and he will receive an offer as soon as someone else turns theirs down. His audition coach told us that schools rarely get commitments from all of their first offers so being a first alternate is a very good thing. Fingers and toes crossed that a spot opens up.

In the meantime, we need to tour the other three schools. We've only actually toured his top choice since he had to audition there. The other auditions were done at unifieds in New York and LA where lots of schools come to see auditioners in one place. While waiting to see if his top choice comes through, we will be taking a whirlwind spring break trip to Pennsylvania, Florida and Colorado (we live in California). I booked a bunch of airline tickets last night and I could hear the MasterCard crying! Our trip starts April 1. Should be a wild ride!
Wow, Wow. Wow. How exciting for you!
I have a question. What is the career path for a musical theater program?
I have a good friend whose Son attended and graduated from the Berklee School of Music in Boston. The son now sells insurance much to Dad's chagrin.

DD got another "yes" tonight, so now she has 3 acceptances and 3 waitlists. Still waiting for 3 more schools, but DD is feeling a lot better knowing that she now has some choices.
Yay, yay, yay! Congrats

I'm so tired....No decisions yet in this house. Niece makes one and then changes her mind 5 minutes later. I wish she'd just choose the lovely, little, affordable, nearby state school and put me out of my misery.
My DD is ready to commit BUT........there is that Berkeley app........so wait, we must.........

I'm late to the party! I didn't realize this thread was here! My DD is a vocal performance major and has been accepted to three midwestern schools, including a fairly selective conservatory. However, she applied to NYU Steinhardt through their video screening in a whim, and then was invited for an in person audition which she completed on Feb. 12. We just got word that NYU will notify on March 30, so the tension level has ratcheted up here. From it being "just got fun" now it is of course her top choice. I have no experience with highly competitive schools and frankly I'm a little surprised she made it this far!

I hope everyone still waiting gets the right answer from the right school!
Welcome aboard

I went to Community college, State U, my husband went to State U, two of my kids are at State U and the third will likely go to state u. Why would anyone have a Problem with a kid shooting for the moon? You get one chance to apply to college-if you have the grades and scores, you might as well give it a shot.

Ivy decisions are in 4 days and It's a fun time waiting-it's like playing the lottery. There's a big buildup to March 30. If you aren't a part of it, why comment and in such a snotty way? Geeze.
I've no issue with the thread - heck the community board has been whining about lack of threads for weeks.

Several of DD's friends are waiting on the Ivy's but they are all auto Admits to either UT or A&M and that gives them a bit of breathing room.
I think something to remind all No's and wait-listed kids is acceptance has nothing to do with not being good enough. Its a crap shoot and a numbers game.
Berkeley received 82,539 freshman applications for the 2016/2017 school year of which approx 14,433 were admitted. Many of these applicants look identical with grades, test scores, community service, extracurriculars etc. They can't admit them all - 60K were told no, 60K of which many were as "qualified" as the ones admitted.
Its not about not being good enough - I have had numerous discussions with DD's friends regarding this. Remind your kids that acceptance to any school does not dictate who they are or if they will excel in life. Its just a blip on the radar and there are plenty of great schools out there.

Last edited:
Well, DS finally heard from UMass Amherst. This was his 'safety' school and he did get in. But, they were awfully stingy with the financial aid! Even with his Abigail Adams scholarship, it comes out to only $2000 less per year than Boston College! Since BC does needs based aid, we got a decent amount of $ from them which brings them down to the cost of UMass. It's still so expensive! I can't fathom how this is going to happen!

Well, DS finally heard from UMass Amherst. This was his 'safety' school and he did get in. But, they were awfully stingy with the financial aid! Even with his Abigail Adams scholarship, it comes out to only $2000 less per year than Boston College! Since BC does needs based aid, we got a decent amount of $ from them which brings them down to the cost of UMass. It's still so expensive! I can't fathom how this is going to happen!
Same boat here, DD is looking at some sizeable debt upon graduation and no amount of discussion or reasoning is sinking in. We had the same experience where a private school has been made much more manageable than an OOS Univ with a decent OOS tuition

Congratulations to your DS!

Are any of his other schools more affordable? Would he get a good education at one of them?

Congratulations to your DS!

Are any of his other schools more affordable? Would he get a good education at one of them?
I am guessing that if he gets in, they will end up being pretty similar in cost due to the needs based aid. We should know by the end of the week, one way or another. I think they are all good options, educationally.:-)

Same boat here, DD is looking at some sizeable debt upon graduation and no amount of discussion or reasoning is sinking in. We had the same experience where a private school has been made much more manageable than an OOS Univ with a decent OOS tuition
Crazy, isn't it! o_O

Crazy, isn't it! o_O
Yes, it makes me insane, her whole attitude of "everyone will have student debt, its just part of our generation" Sure most will have some but the figures these kids find acceptable makes me sick to my stomach. My DS has a tremendous amount of debt due to grad school, his undergrad was cheap, he spent his money where it counted and walked out of school to a 6 figure annual income. Many kids with much more debt than he has are still living at home, can't find jobs or can't find jobs that will allow them to live independently and pay off their loans. Its a sad state of affairs IMO

The crazy thing is, he was fine with going to a state school if it saved him $, but it doesn't! We are in that stuck in the middle scenario where we are not poor enough for the state school to give any $, and too poor to comfortably afford the private schools. I know there are plenty others here in that situation. Thanks for letting me vent.:flower3:

Wow, Wow. Wow. How exciting for you!
I have a question. What is the career path for a musical theater program?
I have a good friend whose Son attended and graduated from the Berklee School of Music in Boston. The son now sells insurance much to Dad's chagrin.

My DS is hoping for a career performing in musical theater, with Broadway being the ultimate goal. Many graduates perform in touring shows, theme parks, cruise ships, etc. We know a guy who went straight to Broadway after graduating from a musical theater college program. One of my friends travels around the country performing in regional theater shows. DS's voice teacher sang on a cruise ship and then directed a youth theater program when she wanted to settle down and have kids. It's a competitive industry and some end up going to other professions to make ends meet. We discussed with DS at length the career options if he goes the musical theater route. He's totally onboard for wherever it takes him. My mom wants him to major in something more practical and get a steady job with benefits. But, he's a natural performer. We have to let him try. Should be an interesting ride for all of us!

We had the same experience where a private school has been made much more manageable than an OOS Univ with a decent OOS tuition

Similar situation for us.

The original plan was to stay in state and go to a UC, and tuition costs aren't bad; but housing, whether on campus or off, is a killer. (Living in CA that's something we know about all too well.) Depending on the campus you also have to take the cost of parking a vehicle into account.

A scholarship offer at an out of state school brought tuition costs below in state rates, but still didn't make sense, especially if looking just at costs.

Since we don't qualify for any need based aid the private school with generous alumni support and lots of merit based scholarships is the best choice financially.

Similar situation for us.

The original plan was to stay in state and go to a UC, and tuition costs aren't bad; but housing, whether on campus or off, is a killer. (Living in CA that's something we know about all too well.) Depending on the campus you also have to take the cost of parking a vehicle into account.

A scholarship offer at an out of state school brought tuition costs below in state rates, but still didn't make sense, especially if looking just at costs.

Since we don't qualify for any need based aid the private school with generous alumni support and lots of merit based scholarships is the best choice financially.
The housing where DD is planning to go is now higher than the tuition - housing is $16K. We have gotten the tuition down to $12K with merit Awards/Scholarships that are guaranteed for all 4 years.
Our plan is to suck it up for the first year and for years 2-4 she will be a Resident Aid which will then knock at least $12K per year off of housing, making the overall 4 year package very manageable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter