Parasailing

STLDisney_Freak

Proud Marching Band, Winter Guard, Choir Mom
DD and I signed up for parasailing at our stop in Castaway Cay. How safe is it? If you have done it would you do it again? Experiences? :)

I tried parasailing for the first time with my daughter at CC 2 years ago. I'm pretty scared of heights but my daughter wanted to try it and I figured it was probably going to be safer with Disney than with anyone else. It was fabulous! I felt completely safe the whole time and the views were incredible. We enjoyed it so much we tried to do it again last year but it was cancelled due to windy weather; while we were disappointed we were glad to see they were concerned about safety first. Going to try again in a few weeks and can't wait! Definitely recommend it. :thumbsup2

I did it on CC in August of last year. I'm not crazy about heights but I LOVED it. I was scared at first when they first put you into the harness and when you start to lift off of the boat, but after that I was fine. We had a great day, not too windy and bright/sunny. It was wonderful and I felt very safe once I was in the air. I didn't even feel like I was moving at all and the views are so pretty.

FYI I also dragged my 75 year old mother (not a risk taker ;)) with me along with my cousin and his 12 year old son. We all had a great time.

Absolutely, take a disposable one to be safe. Make sure to secure it with a strap around your wrist. If you want, bring a second camera and ask one of the other people to snap a few shots of you getting harnessed up and taking off...

We are looking at doing this next cruise also.

For those who have done it - how wet do you get? Do they dip you in the water? I would prefer not to get too wet.

Thanks

Loved it, would totally do it again. It was peaceful and quiet once you got up and away from the noise of the boat. The views of the ship and Castaway Cay were amazing. It's not scary at all. I ended up making friends with several of the people on the parasailing boat. It was a great experience and I'm glad I did it.

Great question. I was thinking of giving it a try as well. Can your family be on the boat too (DH and DS(3)) or just those participating? And - silly as it may be - I assume the wind catches the chute and lifts you but how do you come down?

We've been parasailing twice at CC - loved it! :goodvibes

For those who have done it - how wet do you get? Do they dip you in the water? I would prefer not to get too wet.

You don't have to get wet at all if you don't want to. ;)

They'll dip your toes, or right up to your neck if you want - just let them know your preference before you go up.

First time they dunked my DH to his waist and me just past my ankles. Second time, DH with DD got only a little wet and I was reeled straight back onto the boat.

Only the people that are doing the actual parasailing excursion can come on the boat. It's basically like a winch, when you are up in the air, they just reel you back in.

Are you allowed to take your camera or video camera up with up?

I took my underwater camera up with me no problem (strap securely fastened to my wrist!)

We are looking at doing this next cruise also.

Thanks

Like a PP said, totally up to you if you want to get wet or not.

Great question. I was thinking of giving it a try as well. Can your family be on the boat too (DH and DS(3)) or just those participating? And - silly as it may be - I assume the wind catches the chute and lifts you but how do you come down?

When we went only those who were actually parasailing were allowed on the boat; there wasn't room for anyone else. And they reel you in via the attached rope to bring you back down. :) It was a very smooth ride.

Due to the age restrictions on CC I'll be unable to take my 5yo parasailing. St Maarten's parasailing outfit No1 SXM appear only to have a weight restriction, has anybody any experience of them??

bucky1023 said:
I did it on CC in August of last year. I'm not crazy about heights but I LOVED it. I was scared at first when they first put you into the harness and when you start to lift off of the boat, but after that I was fine. We had a great day, not too windy and bright/sunny. It was wonderful and I felt very safe once I was in the air. I didn't even feel like I was moving at all and the views are so pretty.

FYI I also dragged my 75 year old mother (not a risk taker ;)) with me along with my cousin and his 12 year old son. We all had a great time.

Anyone remember the prices to parasail on CC?

Has anyone gone in St. Maarten or St. Thomas?

Loved parasailing on CC! Would absolutely do it again! Felt very safe the whole time and the view was amazing!

I want to do this soooo vas but so does my kiddo who will be 3 months shy of 8 so he can't go. :( I don't feel right going without him so no parasail for us :(. Maybe that just gives me an excuse to go the next year lol

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

We parasailed at the Outer Banks a couple years ago and have tried to book it on CC the past 2 trips but it was sold out. I was so happy to be able to book it in April - we're really looking forward to it. I believe it is $79.

I tried parasailing for the first time with my daughter at CC 2 years ago. I'm pretty scared of heights but my daughter wanted to try it and I figured it was probably going to be safer with Disney than with anyone else. It was fabulous! I felt completely safe the whole time and the views were incredible. We enjoyed it so much we tried to do it again last year but it was cancelled due to windy weather; while we were disappointed we were glad to see they were concerned about safety first. Going to try again in a few weeks and can't wait! Definitely recommend it. :thumbsup2

My DH and I did parasailing on the 2/8/13 Eastern Caribbean Cruise on the Fantasy and I can tell you it is not scary, actually quite relaxing once you are up in the air. However, it was a overcast day at Cataway Cay and it started raining 30 minutes before we were suppose to get on the boat for the parasailing. I thought they would cancel the excursion but they didn't and we did not want to be out $79.00 each so we went anyway. There were 4 other groups with us that apparently also decided they didn't want to lose that kind of money. By the time we were far enough out to do the parasailing it was pouring rain. With the speed of the boat added in, it felt like having a sea salt scrub and acupunture at the same time - very unpleasant. :crazy2: When it was our time to go up, it was raining so heavy that we could not see a thing once we were up in the air. If it had not been raining, it would have been nice but the rain spoiled the entire experience. I would still do it again, but if it is raining the next time, I will just lose the money and not do it in the rain. I really think they should have canceled the excursion and given everyone their money back since the weather was so horrible. I know you always take a risk regarding weather when you book an excursion but most excursions will be canceled for bad weather. Anyway, as long as it is nice weather, I would recommend that you do the parasailing.

Has anyone gone as a single rider? How is that? DH will be on shore with DS(3) who probably won't stay in the kids area - and he wouldn't go up if he could anyway - so it'll be just me:)

We just went last Friday in my daughter and her boyfriend and I we're each solo riders. It was so much fun it is so quiet up in the air you feel like you're floating and we can see a ton of stingrays below us in the water.

One of my favorite excursions on every cruise

Enjoy yourself and relax

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts