PaHunter's return to camping with cancer and as a diabetic

So the work on the Coach is done, now we have to go pick it up. Get to load tomorrow in between thunderstorms it looks like. Friday morning finish loading and off we go.
Thursday is RV tech to replace control board for steps. I have the water pump to replace it while we are in Gettysburg. Hope to get the water heater swapped out after this trip.

Ok, steps fixed, things ready to go some final packing that was interrupted by a tornado warning.

We are safe and will finish packing in the morning. just personal stuff left. Then vacation time.

Step controller was on fire, luckily plastic was thicker and kept the fire from taking whole rig. Will post pictures later.

So if you followed along we finished up Gettysburg. It was then time to catch up on Dr. appointments.
So yesterday morning started at the dentist for some minor restoration work. Dr said it went alright and all else looks good.

Then it was off to the cancer Dr, for bloodwork and a visit. Hands have been swollen and painful to the point of non-use. They gave me a new ointment to try for my skin, pain killers to take the edge off my hands.
We then discussed another treatment photo-something or other, it will require me to have another port inserted in my chest. Treatment is 2 hours, then 2 hours the next day and repeat every two weeks.

The last 3 days have really tested my resolve, not being able to do anything for myself. I could not even open a door knob. No lids off foods, DW came home and asked what I had eaten all day. Nothing was my reply, I could not open anything. Today she left me a list of open containers, so I don't spill things, but can eat.

Wow Chris, that must be the ultimate frustration. I hope the treatments do something to help relieve the swelling.

i hope they can do something to help your hands. That has to be so hard. Positive vibes heading your way.

Well today hands were a little bit better. I could at least function some today.
Next week I am headed back to cardiac to have another catheter put in. Then they can begin with another treatment. One day at a time. DW will have to do any lifting along with the nephews to help her. I will not be able to lift anything.

progress even a little is good news!! If you really need any help with the RV seriously let me know. We can find a way to get some capable hands up to you.

Just a quick update. Decided to hold off on port and treatment until my skin condition is a bit better and my hands too. Hands are doing better but knuckles swollen and painful, guess maybe an arthritis pain feeling. Dr and I working on it.
Sugar is up, but they increased my steroids again, so that was expected. Cancer tests and blood tests continue to look good.

Took original (2007) water pump out of our coach. Got new one all ready to reinstall today. Will need it for next camping trip which is electric only. We will really be roughing it. Nephews are going with on this trip. They have not seen me since last June when all my problems started.
The nephews want hot dogs and hamburgers one night and ham steak for the other. Easy cooking for me.

After being in Gettysburg in the heat and not doing so well, I ordered a cooling vest to keep my core temp down, hoping to do a bit more hiking and even setup camp without having to take a big break afterward. Supposed to last up to 3 hours, we will see. Will also use it under my 501st Star Wars costume to keep me cool.

Ok I have rambled enough for today. Everyone stay safe out there, enjoy the camping and keep making memories. someday the memories maybe all that is left.

It wasn't just you, it was hot during that trip. And the few days before was cold. So it was not easy to adapt.

Hopefully your pump was easy to get to. The one in my coach is real easy. Mounted to the wall in the wet bay. The one in my 5er was a pain. Behind the water heater, back in a 15 in tall compartment.

Have fun camping with the nephews.

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter