PaHunter's return to camping with cancer and as a diabetic

So this weekend was RB winter State Park with the nephews. They have not seen me in over a year and were excited. Weather was good, campground is small and tight, but we managed and had a great site (55). Nephews enjoyed some hiking with DW and Reba. Reba has been on the couch since we got home, she is wiped. Nephew helped tighten up the leaks I had on the water pump, great kid.
We lost our steps when we dropped them off, this time the bolt holding everything together sheared. So need that fixed before next trip. Good overall weekend, hands still painful, meet with Dr late in week. See what we can do. Sugar all over the place after they raised my steroids, working with Dr on that also.
Next replacement project is the water heater. Plan is after next trip.

So when we pulled in Friday the campground host gave a note, the park was having bear issues. Well it is impolotite to say the park has camper issues which bring in the bears. Bears just doin what bears do and foraging.
Friday night the bears were a no show, Saturday night campers thought they were in the clear. Nah, the bears made an appearence, making off with half a dozen coolers. Yeti might be good for storing ice, not bearproof, expensive lesson to camper.
Of course when the Bears came through all the dogs on that end went nuts waking everyone. Guess some campers left middle of the night, others left early Sunday. We never saw the bears and they did not bother our grill. Musta been full by our end of the campground.

We also scored reservations next year for Cherry Springs State Park. It is a dark sky park. Hope to get some nice photos during that weekend. Need to order red cellophane for flashlights and rv interior light. No white light is allowed.
poor Reba still recovering from the weekend, sleeping on couch.

Well Dr appointment today, went well. Numbers look good and are coming along, I am at day 243. Dr wants to talk with Dermatology and Rhuematology about my skin condition that has improved some, but hands are sore in knuckles and to the touch. So trying to figure that out now. See him again in 2 weeks and go from there. Next camping trip happens in August, back up to my old stomping ground, Promised Land State Park.

So we cancelled our weekend trip this week. Nephew was coming over to help get water heater in. He has come down sick, which is just as well temps in the mid 90s from today thru next week, not conducive to me working outside. So it will wait for a cooler day to get done.
Feeling good, still working on getting sugar inline again. Gonna reduce my steriods this week, so maybe I will not eat the whole fridge at once.
Everyone that has a trip scheduled, safe travels, and be safe in the heat. Everyone can meet at @Teamubr for the pool.

Good idea to put it off, heat is going to be killer this weekend. I have a race weekend to head to, going to be spending a lot of time in AC I think.

Well we moved our camping trip for this weekend, planned on changing water heater. It is just too hot. Last 2 days heat index has been over 104. Today is going to be another hot one also. So if we were camping it would have been a stay in the trailer weekend, which is not so much fun, as we would have liked to hike where we were headed. So instead hiding out in the AC, working on plans for next year.
Just ordered a new Thermacell, they are having a BOGO on rose gold units. Don't care for the color, but hey, get one for free is a good deal, saved 35 dollars and shipping was free.

So today was back to the Dr. for a cancer check up. Numbers look pretty good at this time. Hands are still sore and painful although they gave me a cream that seems to be helping the skin heal up. Working with PCP to get sugar under control and back in range. Been tough since they upped the steriods. But we decreased them today, so see how things go. Still working forward.

Got some projects around the house to work on this weekend. Have been feeling better so trying to get smaller projects done while not overdoing it.

Still got camping plans for later this year, and still have projects for the motorhome, just need some cooler weather.

Everyone stay safe out there on the road, and have a good time camping.

Sounds like slow progress, though progress is good.

Do the thermacell really work? I have tried so many solutions and most are just a waste of money. Right now the best I have had is a citronella band around my ankle. For whatever reason that's the area I get bit the most and its helped a lot.

Sounds like slow progress, though progress is good.

Do the thermacell really work? I have tried so many solutions and most are just a waste of money. Right now the best I have had is a citronella band around my ankle. For whatever reason that's the area I get bit the most and its helped a lot.
Everyone says they do. Plan is to put one by the door of the clam shelter to hopefully keep flying critters from coming in the door when going in and out. Hoping to get my tankless heater in this weekend, nephew coming down to help.

Well today was another Dr appointment. Doing better with controlling my diabetes numbers, have even had some low alerts which is easy to fix, can of Coke here we come.
Bloodwork numbers have been falling, due to meds, may need to have a transfusion here shortly. Will do what we need to do to help me recover.
Hands are coming along on one front, the deep cracks are healing up. Pain in hands is continuing to be an issue, they feel like the are in an oven whenever I touch something. As you can imagine it makes getting thru the day an adventure, but I am adapting and overcoming the obstacles in my way.
DW is a huge help to me opening jars, flip top lids, peeling items apart, like band aids or slim jims. Driving us up to visit my parents, and to my appointments.
Steps will not be fixed before our next trip nor the water heater installed, the weather was just not cooperating.
I am scheduled to meet with a dermatologist, to talk about my hands and try to figure out why I am no longer sweating. This is very problematic as heat injuries can occur very quickly. I do have a cooling vest made by Glacier Tek, and that helps to a point, but when in the high 80 or 90's, It only gives me a short amount of time, maybe half an hour.

I hope everything gets better quickly, but certainly those hands. I hope that pain gets better. You use your hands a lot. Glad Jenn is able to help you out.

So this weekend finds us camping in Promised Land State Park. Weather has been good so far but showers in the forecast.
The drive up was not too bad, volume was pretty normal, only place we hit an issue was entering 84 there had been an accident so traffic was all backed up.

DW drove the coach for part of the trip, as she had gotten her learners permit the day before. She did a good job for her first time driving something of this size.

People were cutting thru our campsite, until they met Reba this morning. She let them know this is her campsite. Was pretty funny to watch.

DW not feeling well, so this maybe just a hang out and relax type of weekend.

299897606_5689355881086014_8961661968528667181_n.jpg
Our pull thru site this site this weekend. Haven't had time to fix the steps, weather has not cooperated.

299849743_5689356291085973_3277118043741229086_n.jpg
And then our 2nd neighbor pulled in, improving the value of my rig. It is a Pheaton, power is on the wrong side, since he pulled in the wrong direction.

Great job, Jen. I hope you are feeling better.

Please talk to Donna about driving the coach. She won't even consider it and now that she has to take a test to get a permit first, it will be even harder.

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter