Packing Tips...

PrincessYessenia

DVC Member - AKV
Hey everyone! My trip is coming up quickly and I was wondering if anyone could help me out with some packing tips...?

Here's the "low-down": It will be just my mom and I flying Continental out of Fort Lauderdale to SNA. We will be there June 13-20 at the PPH. We plan on having 1 carry-on and 1 checked bag each. My carry-on will have my iPod, wallet, phone, chargers, and such, while hers will be empty in order to bring souvenirs back.

Now here's the problem: I bring WAY TOO MUCH STUFF whenever I pack for any trip, and I only end up wearing 20% of the things I brought. I will not be doing that this trip since I must fit my shoes, clothes, and everything else in one huge suitcase. Sounds like enough space, but with the way I pack...ehhh.

I found a method of efficient packing on a website and it said something about rolling up the clothes, which sounds like it would work. My only worry is that my clothes will wrinkle and I really don't want to waste my time ironing, I really do hate it.

If any of you have tried this method for anything, how well did it work?

If not, please share your packing tips anyway please. I would really appreciate it! :)

Thanxxxxxx :)

I always roll my clothes when packing. They actually end up less wrinkled for me this way. It takes up less space in my suitcase as well.

I agree that rolling your clothes will actually cause less wrinkles and creases than folding them. If you hang them up as soon as you get to the hotel that will help a lot too. You could also bring a travel-size bottle of Downy Wrinkle Releaser. Or you could just borrow a hotel iron if needed (but who wants to do that on vacation! :))

Another packing tip that we've found helpful is to pack everything in either spacesaver bags or just those BIG ziploc bags. It sounds crazy but if you pack your clothes in those and squeeze ALLL the air out it frees up a TON of space in your suitcase! (says a notorious over-packer:laughing:) It really is amazing what it does. At that point I would worry more than my suitcase would be too heavy to fly before I would worry that I can't shut my suitcase!

Hahaha :)

My mom always has the same problem and I KNOW she's gonna need me to help her close her suitcase!

I think I'm going to roll my clothes but I want to "test run" it first. A couple of my co-workers said the rolling method works great.

I was planning on immediately hanging up my clothes once I got there but how many hangers does the hotel provide? I'm staying at PPH. I've never used the "closet" at hotels, so I can't recall how many hangers they provide. Also would they be able to bring me more if I needed them?

This thread brings to mind one of my favorite Yogi Berra quotes:

"That hotel had the fluffiest towels I've ever seen. I almost couldn't zip my suitcase..."

This thread brings to mind one of my favorite Yogi Berra quotes:

"That hotel had the fluffiest towels I've ever seen. I almost couldn't zip my suitcase..."

:rotfl2: Love it!!

I'm another over-packer, but that's the way I like it. Who cares if I don't even wear half of it, what happens if I end up needing it and didn't bring it? That's my philosophy anyways.

The rolling idea certainly does save you a lot of space! I've seen it done, although I always forget it myself. Thanks for the reminder seeing as Im flying to Texas to visit family in 2 weeks. I really need to find some way to save space in my super tiny suitcase.

My only advice is to do trial runs of packing, lol. I am far from a last minute packer and I spend a week (or more) packing and re-packing to get the right fit for everything and find out what I can skip in the process. But I know that I go a little overboard on it.

Well last week I wanted to start packing. I had to put it on hold because I had bought some new luggage but didn't realize until I got home that the pull-out handle didn't "pull out"! So I had to wait 2 days to be able to return them since I didn't have any time because I was so busy.

So finally I switched them out for another set which was a little cheaper, however the largest was a 25 inch, and the one I returned was a 28 inch, which worried me. I fear that those extra 3 inches I lost will end up being vital. But I like the new set much better.

Now I can finally start packing!!!!!!
:) :)

I can see how that extra 3 inches could be a bigger comfort zone, but I think you'll do fine ;)

I'm worried because I was planning on using my sisters gargantuan suitcase (no idea how big it is, but it's at least double my itty-bitty one) for my trip to Texas this month. Then I find out that while I'm gone for a week, she's leaving to visit family in Colorado for 2 weeks and will be using her suitcase. Uh-oh!! Maybe I should start my pre-packing right now!

Gahhh! Haha, uh-oh! Good luck! You'll be fine!

About how many inches is your current bag? I have to FORCE myself to one 25 inch bag so you can imagine how much of an over-packer I am! Lol

I found a method of efficient packing on a website and it said something about rolling up the clothes, which sounds like it would work. My only worry is that my clothes will wrinkle and I really don't want to waste my time ironing, I really do hate it.

If any of you have tried this method for anything, how well did it work?

I read somewhere that if you lay a piece of dry cleaner's plastic wrap on top of the clothing before you roll it up there will be few to no wrinkles at all...something about plastic eliminating the friction that makes wrinkles happen....

GL :flower3:

I read somewhere that if you lay a piece of dry cleaner's plastic wrap on top of the clothing before you roll it up there will be few to no wrinkles at all...something about plastic eliminating the friction that makes wrinkles happen....

GL :flower3:
Dry cleaners plastic wrap?...I'm not 100% sure what that is. Haha

I've never rolled my clothes, nor do I have to iron anything. I just bring jeans, shorts, tees and tanks, along with the essentials of course, and layer them neatly, it always works for me. :)

When you pick up your clothes at the dry cleaner it's the clear plastic that covers the clothing and the hanger...

HTH
Haha I figured that much, but then I thought "that's too easy!" Thanx :)

Tonight I'm going to be trying a few different ways and seeing how that goes since I've read so many different ideas and techniques.

Pixiewings71, I was actually thinking about that but didn't know if it would work, but apparently it might so I'll definitely give it a shot! Thanx :)

Gahhh! Haha, uh-oh! Good luck! You'll be fine!

About how many inches is your current bag? I have to FORCE myself to one 25 inch bag so you can imagine how much of an over-packer I am! Lol

You're going to scream :eek: it's only 22, and it's so old there's no little pockets anywhere so you can try and add more stuff.

Tonight I'm going to be trying a few different ways and seeing how that goes since I've read so many different ideas and techniques.

Good luck - let us know how the tips work, and if you find anything else that helps.

You're going to scream :eek: it's only 22, and it's so old there's no little pockets anywhere so you can try and add more stuff.

Good luck - let us know how the tips work, and if you find anything else that helps.
Of course I will! And thank you!

It sounds like you've gotten some great advice, I don't have much more to add. Have a great time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!