Packing Non-Perishable Foods in Checked Luggage

Mishnogramjo

Earning My Ears
I'm hoping someone can answer this question for me. I will be travelling with 4 kids so means lots of snacks. I'd like to pack some pre-packaged non-perishable snacks (granola bars, pre-packed cookies, fish crackers etc) in our checked luggage. I am flying into Florida from Toronto Canada. Was wondering if anyone had any troubles with this?

Thanks

The biggest trouble we had was our cookies arrived in bits. We started ordering from Gardengrocer.com and order snacks, fruit and water. Much easier and I don't have to worry about suitcase weight.

Because I always stay DVC I always pack a suitcase with snacks and breakfast items like cereal, bagels and apples and it's worked out great every time.

I think the airlines frown upon packing food in your luggage. The last time we went I packed a flat rate box from the post office and sent it for about $14. They had different size boxes so depending upon the size of the box it could cost less. You send it to the resort with your arrival date on the box, if you call the resort they will give you the exact address you should send it to. Hope that helps. When are you going? I am having serious disney withdrawl :sad2: Have a great time!:)

I think the airlines frown upon packing food in your luggage. The last time we went I packed a flat rate box from the post office and sent it for about $14. They had different size boxes so depending upon the size of the box it could cost less. You send it to the resort with your arrival date on the box, if you call the resort they will give you the exact address you should send it to. Hope that helps. When are you going? I am having serious disney withdrawl :sad2: Have a great time!:)

We usually send a box via FedEx. Their prices tend to be better on bigger packages. Also, delivery is much quicker because courier packages go directly to the resorts, where as the mail has to go to a sorting facility at WDW.

flying from out of country it might be a little more difficult.. it might be easier for you to mail it down.. just grab a box big enough.. and instead of using packing peanuts or something of the like use your bathing suits and beach towels (if going in summer) or shorts (if going in winter) that way once you arrive you can change to go to the pool with out having to wait for your luggage from DME or if your going in the winter you can change into shorts so your good to go

I did that last fall and had no problems other then broken cookies and flat bars LOL Maybe you could get garden grocer to deliver to your room. that's what I'll be doing in August when I go back alone with the girls. although having an empty suitcase at the end of my last trip was convenient to bring souvenirs

I've been packing snacks and breakfast items in a medium sized suitcase for 10 years now (I go down every year) and the airlines have not once given me any trouble. In fact they prefer that you pack certain items in checked baggage instead of carry on. I've flown mostly Southwest but also delta and usair so maybe it depends on the airline. I've never seen food items listed on their list of things not to pack in a checked suitcase though. Granted I don't pack any glass and I put things that could "explode" in plastic baggies. Plus I usually put some towels in there to act as buffers.

I just came back from a trip to WDW and I packed all of our food in Tupperware square plastic containers and put them in my suitcase. I didn't have to worry about anything being smashed by the time my luggage got to the resort. It worked perfect.

that's a good idea. . .
does Disney frown on shipments to your resort? I know you *can* do it, and I'm sure there's no policy against it, but what's someone's experience?
Personally I've not ever shipped anything down so I don't know from personal experience, but I have heard of plenty of people on this board having things gone missing...I expect a lot of people have things shipped to the hotels so I would think that only a small percentage of packages get lost or misplaced, but they do certainly happen.

I just came back from a trip to WDW and I packed all of our food in Tupperware square plastic containers and put them in my suitcase. I didn't have to worry about anything being smashed by the time my luggage got to the resort. It worked perfect.

So smart! Thanks...that's what I'm gonna do....then I can stick wet suits in the empty containers!:thumbsup2

We are from Toronto and always fly out of YYZ with bags of food. My husband eats a specialty cereal so we take a couple boxes of it along with snacks, etc... never had a problem (even with a tetra pack of rice milk)!

I've never thought of a checked bag, we have always taken a carry on bag full of snacks, for the plane and the visit. Bonus- you have an empty bag for extra stuff you pick up on vacation!

We packed things in shoes boxes in our suitcases and everything came out great! The idea being we'll be able to use the extra space for the return and we could always use the boxes to ship something home if needed, too.

My mom always packs fresh items (grapes, berries, etc) in Tupperware with ice packs or frozen bottles of cream for her coffee. She's never had a problem, but I'm too scared to do that - I'm afraid they'd lose my luggage and I wouldn't get it back for weeks.

We packed things in shoes boxes in our suitcases and everything came out great! The idea being we'll be able to use the extra space for the return and we could always use the boxes to ship something home if needed, too.

My mom always packs fresh items (grapes, berries, etc) in Tupperware with ice packs or frozen bottles of cream for her coffee. She's never had a problem, but I'm too scared to do that - I'm afraid they'd lose my luggage and I wouldn't get it back for weeks.
I always use the suitcase to then bring home my souvinears. For fruit I only tend to bring apples and maybe oranges. I try not to bring ones that need to be kept cold. I did that once and the ice pack turned them all yucky mushy....such a waste!

We always fly Southwest, so no luggage charges, and I use a 18 galloon tote (rubbermaid) and pack with snacks, drinks and pool towels for padding. Never had any problem and then we use it as a cooler in the room. Also handy to have if you end up with fragile sourveniors to bring back. I've done this for years and it was really handy when my girls were still eating baby food and used diapers as padding. No problems with anything getting broken or crushed. I pack a roll of gray strapping tape inside for the flight home and just tape it up really well.

Since we always stay at SSR I have even packed meat in my checked in bag. Freeze and then put into a cold/hot bag. They are silver and can be purchased at most grocery stores. We fly from Boston directly to MCO and by the time we get our room, they still are frozen, even in the summer months. :woohoo:

Everytime we fly to Disney, at least 20 times, we pack one suitcase full of food/snack items. We fly Southwest and this has NEVER been a problem with the airline. The food always arrives intact. In addition I always check a full size cooler. In that I have a case of water and several boxes of capri sun. The person that checks the luggage always takes a peek in the cooler, then puts a couple pieces of tape on the lid. I packed like this when we flew from NH to Colorado and another time to Ca. All the trips the food suitcase and cooler flew with absolutely no problems. For us this is the easiest way to go. Even though we always have a rental car, I dont want to use out time grocery shopping. Plus, I am a big couponer and get most of our snack items for free and it would be tough for me to use real money to buy that type of stuff. Since Southwest doesnt charge extra for luggage, this is the way to go for us! Have fun on your trip!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter