packing medical supplies

heatherwillmom

DIS Veteran
I have read many great packing lists on the board, but few mention medical supplies. I have compiled an extensive list of what I carry but I get it all to fit in a small tote bag. I leave the majority of it in the room, only carrying the essentials to the parks knowing we could return to the room if needed. I am a Primary Care Provider. There are a few things on the list that are by prescription only but most doctors will call them in for you if you are their regular patient. I carry a lot more than most people, but this is a basic list. The list is as follows:

Small first aid kit - I found one at Walmart in the camping supplies that clips onto a backpack

Prescription items:
Benzocaine ear drops. This ear drops are a numbing medicine that can stop the pain with an ear ache immediately

TransDerm Scop patches. These are great to prevent motion sickness

Hydroxyzine. This is great for anxiety associated with travel. It is sedating, but has a short duration & is non-narcotic, even safe for children

OTC Items:
chewable pepto bismol, anti-fungal spray for feet, icy hot rub for sore muscles, Imodium, cortisone cream, sting relief cream, nasal spray, non-drowsy antihistamine like Zyrtec, throat lozenges, tums, thermocare heat patches, instant ice packs, assorted size bandaids, antiseptic wipes, antibiotic ointment, Advil/Tylenol, Azo Standard for urinary pain, eye drops, moleskin with scissors to cut to fit, blister bandaids, cough lozenges

Don't forget to get both adult & children strength in these medications if your kids are under 12.

Remember to take at least as much of your prescription medications to last the length of your trip plus 2 days in case of lost pills or delays. Also, don't forget special medical supplies such as diabetic supplies. If you are traveling with a diabetic, take glucose tablets to carry in your backpack in case of low blood sugar.

I have received calls from patients that are out of state on vacation who have forgotten medications that I have to call in a presciption for them where ever they are.

Although there are drug stores close by, no one wants to give up some of their time from vacation to have to run to Walmart or Walgreens

You mentioned antifungal spray and I'd like to add antifungal cream. I'm getting personal here but many men may experience some heat and humidity related chaffing in sensitive areas.
Also embarrassing but worth mentioning... I always pack a few acidophilus tablets. I ended up on antibiotics given to me at the local Redi-care near Disney for a bacterial infection I obtained on the drive down. Not being at home or picking up my pills at a regular pharmacy, and not being to familiar with my own body's reaction to antibiotics (I almost never take them) I failed to realize that I would end up with some nasty "chaffing in sensitive areas" of my own. Back to the Redi-care we went.

Last year, somehow my baggie of bandaids and ointment packets that I carried in the park every day ended up being packed in checked luggage and dropped off for DME on our last day. Of course, that's the day my DD fell down the concrete steps at our resort. I had one bandaid in my purse to "kinda work" but we ended up needing more from the nice Epcot nurse.

The acidophilus tablets are a good idea. If you can't find any, you can get some of the same benefits from eating yogurt which may be easier to find. I actually take bandaids in different bags. I have some in my backpack, my regular suitcase, & in my small first aid kit that is attached to my husbands backpack.

I have read many great packing lists on the board, but few mention medical supplies. I have compiled an extensive list of what I carry but I get it all to fit in a small tote bag. I leave the majority of it in the room, only carrying the essentials to the parks knowing we could return to the room if needed. I am a Primary Care Provider. There are a few things on the list that are by prescription only but most doctors will call them in for you if you are their regular patient. I carry a lot more than most people, but this is a basic list. The list is as follows:

Small first aid kit - I found one at Walmart in the camping supplies that clips onto a backpack

Prescription items:
Benzocaine ear drops. This ear drops are a numbing medicine that can stop the pain with an ear ache immediately

TransDerm Scop patches. These are great to prevent motion sickness

Hydroxyzine. This is great for anxiety associated with travel. It is sedating, but has a short duration & is non-narcotic, even safe for children

OTC Items:
chewable pepto bismol, anti-fungal spray for feet, icy hot rub for sore muscles, Imodium, cortisone cream, sting relief cream, nasal spray, non-drowsy antihistamine like Zyrtec, throat lozenges, tums, thermocare heat patches, instant ice packs, assorted size bandaids, antiseptic wipes, antibiotic ointment, Advil/Tylenol, Azo Standard for urinary pain, eye drops, moleskin with scissors to cut to fit, blister bandaids, cough lozenges

Don't forget to get both adult & children strength in these medications if your kids are under 12.

Remember to take at least as much of your prescription medications to last the length of your trip plus 2 days in case of lost pills or delays. Also, don't forget special medical supplies such as diabetic supplies. If you are traveling with a diabetic, take glucose tablets to carry in your backpack in case of low blood sugar.

I have received calls from patients that are out of state on vacation who have forgotten medications that I have to call in a presciption for them where ever they are.

Although there are drug stores close by, no one wants to give up some of their time from vacation to have to run to Walmart or Walgreens
:thumbsup2

I forgot to add Ginger capsules which are great for nausea or motion sickness withou drowsiness. DH thinks they works well for him

Have to agree that it is VERY helpful to carry at least a small stash of this stuff. I usually skip the cold meds in the summer months since we rarely have issues with that. And we've never had to carry anything for anxiety or more major problems (cold/heat packs), but we usually bring all the other items you mentioned.

Can I add one more thing to the list. Not really a medication per se, but CHAPSTICK is also very helpful (or cold sore meds if you are prone to these, my DSil gets them whenever she gets too much sun exposure). I had to buy chapstick for DD at a museum locally once and it was stinking expensive for such a little thing. We never leave home without it now.

The chapstick is a great idea. We carry the kind with SPF because it seems like my DD gets sunburned lips if we don't. I know I carry a lot of medical supplies that regular, or as my DH says normal people, don't even think about. I actually carry Lidocaine for numbing & a suture kit.

The chapstick is a great idea. We carry the kind with SPF because it seems like my DD gets sunburned lips if we don't. I know I carry a lot of medical supplies that regular, or as my DH says normal people, don't even think about. I actually carry Lidocaine for numbing & a suture kit.

I'm a little lower tech but I always have Dermoplast spray and EMLA cream (for splinter removal) and steri-strips in my medicine cabinet. After the fall last year I might just throw some steri's in the bag.

I like Dermabond really well for closing cuts that don't require stiches, but are a little big for a bandaid, but it's really expensive. NuSkin that you can buy at Walmart works just as well. I put the bottle in a small ziploc in case it leaks because it is such a good adhesive, it would stick to anything.

Along the lines of the Cortison Cream - I always have a supply of Benedryl pills.
It does make me sleepy - but I've had allergic reactions where most of my body was covered in a rash or hives - and only some Benedryl pills would give relief.
Just a little cream may not be enough.

Also - I don't travel without anti-diarrhea pills. No fun trying to find a bathroom all day :sick:

Thanks for your list OP - its a wonderful compilation :thumbsup2

This is a great packing list for any trip! We are heading to the Smokies in about a month & I was just making my packing list. Guess I'll be adding a few things to it. Thanks OP! :thumbsup2

I agree: Benadryl and Immodium! I've had some wonky reactions to things and Benadryl is a lifesaver. And Immodium has saved many a vacation!

I also pack bandaids and tylenol, as well as hydrocortisone and neosporin.

Oh... PP just reminded me. A simple sewing needle or tweezers would have saved us during a trip to the Columbus Zoo a couple years ago. DD was sliding her hand along a wooden fence rail and jammed a nasty/large splinter up under her fingernail. We went to the First Aid office and they were CLOSED??? We had no way to get the splinter out (and it would have been easy, we could see it sticking out, just under the nail where we couldn't get at it), and it was clearly pretty painful. We ended up soaking her finger in a glass of ice water to numb it, but it sorta put a damper on the day.
I may have to add these to my list (although I know Disney First Aid offices are not going to be closed...it's still a long walk from some locations).
Who knew my daughter could be such a fount of medical tips when DS is the accident prone one...I guess she just saves it for day trips and vacations. :rotfl:

I usually pack a little first aid kit of my own that contains:

various sizes of bandaids
neosporin
small gauze pads
safety pins
alcohol wipes
q-tips/cotton balls

tweezers (usually they're in with my manicure set anyway, along with the tiny little scissors)

tylenol for all ages
benadryl for all ages
pepto tablets/tums

baby powder
aloe vera gel
vaseline

prescription meds

list of current meds for all family members as well as dr's name and phone number.

We just returned from a trip to WDW in which my 3 year old came down with a high fever on our 2nd day there. I had everything but what I needed in my first aid kit, which was children's tylenol. Due to the recent recall, I threw mine out a few weeks before vacation, fully intending to replace it but got caught up in the planning and packing and never got around to it. We drove 1100 miles to Disney, and on our 2nd day, after spending the day at Typhoon Lagoon, we ended up taking DD to the ER with a 104 temp cuz I didn't have the right medecine.:mad: At the time, I was concerned about heat exhaustion/dehydration, so figured it was better to take her in anyway, but bottom line was I had to hunt down children's fever medecine in an unfamiliar city while my DD lay exhausted and burning up in our room. Had I had the medecine to begin with, we probably would have been able to get & keep her fever down much faster. Oh well, lesson learned. Pack the tylenol!!!

If you or your kids have even the most MILD asthma, NEVER EVER EVER leave home without the albuterol. If your kids have asthma inhalers AND rescue inhalers, TAKE BOTH!!!!

We were at Disney when dd was 4.5. I took her nebulizer for an emergency, but it didn't occur to me to also bring along the rescue inhalers. We were tied down to the hotel room until we could get a prescription called over and filled. DOH!

Does anyone know the closest pharmacy to WDW? Do you have to take a taxi I guess if you don't have your own transportation?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter