Packing for a land tour?

Birdie dog

DIS Veteran
I'll be spending 14 days in Europe in May (three pre-tour days in Amsterdam) and I've never done a land tour before. My biggest worry is packing. I'm a terrible overpacked and really don't want to deal with "too much" while we're on the move from place to place - and I know that our luggage will be dealt with for me.

What packing tips can you give me and how do you minimize the annoyance of moving a suitcase every few days? Thanks.

Packing cubes! I pack a cube for each segment so that I’m not rooting through my whole suitcase. I also start packing way ahead of time so there’s no surprises about how things will fit. Finally, take way less than you think you’ll need, and clothes that can do double duty. No need to change for dinner on most ABD nights, and no one cares if you alternate the same 2 sweaters the whole trip. You aren’t going to be in the wilderness - if you need something you didn’t bring, you’ll be able to buy it.

Another thing I do is roughly plan out my outfits. In other words, I make sure the shirts I bring match the jeans, etc. I also never change for dinner, unless something happened that day (like got soaked in rain, or spilled something). While I find Europeans dress a bit nicer than Americans on the whole, it is not that they do not wear jeans or similar clothing. It is more the cut and style. For example, I do not wear graphic t-shirts ever here or there and I tend to wear leather shoes, not running shoes. If I do wear tennis shoes, I tend to wear lower profile, "retro" gym shoes.

I also check the weather right up until we leave to make sure I am bringing the correct types of outfits in general.

For example, we went to France in mid-October. I was originally expected it to pretty much be fall weather (highs in the upper 50;s, lows in the mid 40s). However, when I started to monitor weather in the cities we would be in, I noticed a serious warming trend. Some days were predicted to have highs in the low 70's. Because of this, I altered the number of sweaters I packed and instead leaned toward long sleeves and a few three-quarter length tops, knowing I could layer with a light jacket or fleece for morning and evening.

I love packing cubes. I buy mine on ebags. I can generally fit 12-13 knit tops in one medium cube for reference.

I get where you are coming from with over-packing. While I am not a fashionata, I do like looking nice and having choices. 14 days of black pants with 7 solid color tops and one pair of shoes is not MY idea of vacation.

Just Remember Your Luggage Weight 23 Kg ....... Extra Payment for going over the 50 lb

1 X 10 KG overhead case + Handbag

Do not forget Travel Adaptors U.K.. 3 pin Flat Europe 2 pin Round

Chip & Pin USA Credit & Debit Bank Cards work in Europe ( Try NOT to use Currency Exchange Booths ..... use ATM's )

U.K.. uses Sterling £ ......... The Rest of Europe uses Euros €

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter