Packing during the hurricane season

undertheseas

DIS Veteran
If I prepare for a hurricane while we're at Disney then it won't happen, right?? ;) Should I pack flashlights, water, some food, anything else? Has anyone ever even needed this stuff at DW during a hurricane? I hate to lug that stuff around if I don't have to but I don't want to be stuck in our hotel room dark and hungry either. TIA! :teeth:

I always bring a small flashlight when I travel, regardless of when/where.

In your case it wouldn't hurt to pack a box or two of breakfast bars and similar snacks.

Anne

As Anne suggested, we always travel with a couple of flashlights. I would as she stated pack a few non perishable type foods and maybe a deck of cards.

Bring the ponchos too.

After Hurricane #3 last year we were afraid of not being prepared. Good thing we went prepared because Jeanne decided to visit.
What we packed:

Cases of various kinds of Coke products(Mickey doesn't do Pepsi)!
Various snack size packages(Oreos,chips etc.) thrown in an empty suitcase for easy portability.
Flashlight
Ducttape(don't know why we bought it but duct tape fixes everything)
Extra Medicine(enough for an extra week)
Extra Cash in case the credit machines wacked out
Cell phone(s)
Extra copies of insurance and medical info

Can't remember what else we bought but we were so ready. We had a feast the day the parks we closed.

Make sure you pack extra batteries!!! If you have young children, buy a book light - it's fun to use in the dark and it keeps them quiet for hours (I experienced this last year during Hurricane Charlie.

Disney had provided flashlights in our room last year (Old Key West) and they take really good care of their guests!

Disney is used to helping guests during hurricanes. You should not have to bring anything but having a few bottles of water and some juice is always a good idea. If you are driving you can take more but no need to pack a ton of stuff if you are flying.

I believe everyone should be proactive about their family's needs as much as they can. Watch the weather before you go. If a hurricane does happen and if you decide to ride it out at Disney, or have to ride it out, be prepared to possibly be stuck in your room for a few days (who wants to walk through 100 MPH winds to get to the Food Court to fight their way through lines?) This would mean basic needs: food (even if just snack type items, water, light (flashlight), something to do when the lights go out, etc. Don't count on being able to keep your curtains open for any natural light---I believe you are encouraged to keep the curtains drawn in the event the glass breaks. I personally feel better knowing I am prepared and don't have to rely on Disney to take care of me. Picture loooooong lines for bottled water, food, at the front desk for assistance with stuff, etc. Also--CASH----if the atm's, electronic credit card machines, etc don't work gas stations and supermarkets may not be able to process electronic transactions.

I wouldn't worry about lugging all the stuff with you. Nowadays you get enough warning before a hurricane that even if you don't have a rental car, you can take a taxi to a local grocerty store to stock up---IF they have any supplies on hand.

Thanks guys! I'll watch the weather before we leave but I am also concerned one might pop up while we're there. I'll pack some extra snacks and a flashlight and stock up on water when we get there. THanks!!

WDW NEVER loses power. The lines are underground. Also there is no need for food, WDW provides for that also., if needed they will tell you where to buy.

We were in WDW last year during a hurricane. There were lots of locals checking in to the hotels because they know they will be safe and not have a power outage. It is where many go to ride out the storms.

WDW does a great job of keeping their guests safe and informed. It also depends on what hotel you are staying at if there is a hurricane. We were in the Main building CL at the GF last year. We were not allowed to leave the building..but that building is huge and we had plenty of food at the CL. I have read that guests in the All Stars were stuck in their rooms, but there was power. I think also they were instructed to buy a days worth of food.

I would not pack anything for a hurricane.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter