Packing appliances that will be inspected/have yours been confiscated?

DancingBelle55

Earning My Ears
I want to bring 2 or 3 things that may will probably be inspected. What's the best place to pack them, carry-on or checked luggage?

If I understand correctly, if they're confiscated, they'll be returned at the end of the cruise?

What are the chances they won't get confiscated? The items in question are:

Fan - I have no specific info, only that it's a plug in, hard plastic, with 2 temperature levels. It's a tabletop one, but kind of big, measuring roughly 8.5x10 inches.
Conair white noise machine - takes 4 AA batteries, or can be plugged in with an adapter.
Vogek circular usb charger - this plugs in, and then has 6 usb charging ports for various devices. It has flown in my checked baggage without problems before

Thanks!

The fan and white noise machine will be collected and inspected according to the DCL's info online, so I'd pack them in whatever is easiest for you:
https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/prohibited-items/list/
We've carried USB chargers aboard many times, never a problem or batted eye, and not on the list of prohibited items in any case... edited to add: maybe I'm misunderstanding what it is..? Is it a portable charger or more of a hub? If the latter those ARE prohibited, and they would give it back to you at the end of the cruise.

Put them in your carry on bag so they can be immediately pulled out. In October, we put our fan and white noise machine in my bag. After lunch, we got into our cabin and started waiting for our bags - we wanted to put on swimsuits and go to deck 13. All of our bags arrived but mine. Since it had the fan and white noise machine, my luggage didn’t come until much later.

Lesson learned for us!

maybe I'm misunderstanding what it is..? Is it a portable charger or more of a hub? If the latter those ARE prohibited, and they would give it back to you at the end of the cruise.

I'd say it's more like a compact hub with multiple charging ports. It's circular, maybe 4 inches wide by 2 inches high. I can attach 6 charging cables into the usb ports in order to charge 6 different devices. It would be used to charge maybe 3 devices at most, but the inspectors wouldn't know that. It wouldn't be terrible if they took it, I'd just have to remember to bring a regular phone charger.

Put them in your carry on bag so they can be immediately pulled out. In October, we put our fan and white noise machine in my bag. After lunch, we got into our cabin and started waiting for our bags - we wanted to put on swimsuits and go to deck 13. All of our bags arrived but mine. Since it had the fan and white noise machine, my luggage didn’t come until much later.

Lesson learned for us!

I figured carry on would be better, and your experience totally makes sense! I'm pretty much planning on just wearing my suit onboard from the get go. My carry on is going to be heavy either way!

I'd say it's more like a compact hub with multiple charging ports. It's circular, maybe 4 inches wide by 2 inches high. I can attach 6 charging cables into the usb ports in order to charge 6 different devices. It would be used to charge maybe 3 devices at most, but the inspectors wouldn't know that. It wouldn't be terrible if they took it, I'd just have to remember to bring a regular phone charger.

I always bring a 6-port USB charging hub without any issues. I just put it into one of my checked bags. Mine's a rectangular one, not round, but it's the same idea.

If the charger has surge protection, it won't be allowed. A simple port or outlet replicator, no issues.

I want to bring 2 or 3 things that may will probably be inspected. What's the best place to pack them, carry-on or checked luggage?

If I understand correctly, if they're confiscated, they'll be returned at the end of the cruise?

Fan - I have no specific info, only that it's a plug in, hard plastic, with 2 temperature levels. It's a tabletop one, but kind of big, measuring roughly 8.5x10 inches.
Conair white noise machine - takes 4 AA batteries, or can be plugged in with an adapter.
Vogek circular usb charger - this plugs in, and then has 6 usb charging ports for various devices. It has flown in my checked baggage without problems before

Thanks!
I’ve brought my “blizzard” plug in fan on 3 cruises already. It’s always been in my room after inspection. As long as the cord isn’t frayed and the fan looks in good condition you should be good.

Last edited:

Lesson learned for us!
I had a similar issue where I packed a handheld clothes steamer so our clothes wouldn’t be all wrinkled. All the bags but mine came to our stateroom and we were only a few minutes from sailing away and I had to get ready for Palo dinner at 6. My dress was in that bag too. I went down to guest services to inquire about my bag and they asked my cabin number went into a back room and pulled out my luggage where I then had to open it so they could see what item was flagged (the steamer 😊) since my luggage was locked. They checked it for pick up at the end of the cruise and I was on my way with the luggage. I think if you think its questionable put it in your carryon so it’s inspected in front of you as you go through security, save yourself the where is my luggage panic.

I am looking at taking a Venty or similar brand fan on our cruise. These are small and not normal electric, plug in an outlet fans. It is charged via a USB cord and are all plastic. When fully charged they operate without being connected to a power supply. Any opinions on wether these would be acceptable?

I’m going to have a portable kettle in my luggage on my next cruise as it’s part of a longer trip. Good to know I get it back post cruise!

We saw fuzzy handcuffs on our way past the confiscation table after getting off the ship. I wonder if the owners picked them back up or just kept walking by. There was also a very large expensive drone on the table too.

Thanks!

We had a white noise machine and many USB multi-port chargers in our carry-ons as we boarded the Magic two weeks back. They didn't inspect or mention them. They just passed us right through. This was in Italy, but our experience has been similar sailing DLC in the states. I would put them in an easy to reach locating just in case.

Last edited:
I had a similar issue where I packed a handheld clothes steamer so our clothes wouldn’t be all wrinkled. All the bags but mine came to our stateroom and we were only a few minutes from sailing away and I had to get ready for Palo dinner at 6. My dress was in that bag too. I went down to guest services to inquire about my bag and they asked my cabin number went into a back room and pulled out my luggage where I then had to open it so they could see what item was flagged (the steamer 😊) since my luggage was locked. They checked it for pick up at the end of the cruise and I was on my way with the luggage. I think if you think its questionable put it in your carryon so it’s inspected in front of you as you go through security, save yourself the where is my luggage panic.

We took a steamer in our carryon on the Magic last week and nobody stopped us at security. But that was in Italy. I honestly didn't even know it was prohibited. We used it all week. We will leave it home next time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter