Packing Alcohol

Readytocruisefrompa

Earning My Ears
I know DCL rules say you are not to bring alcohol on board, but are they strick with this rule? Has anyone gotten away with bringing it on board and if so how did you pack it?

Readytocruisefrompa said:
I know DCL rules say you are not to bring alcohol on board, but are they strick with this rule? Has anyone gotten away with bringing it on board and if so how did you pack it?

I wrapped it in bubble wrap and placed it in my Mickey Softsided Rolling Cooler and just rolled it on board. No questions asked!!! remember no ice in those coolers!!!

Hi,

I have brought a bottle or two onboard every ship I have ever sailed including DCL many times. You do have to be aware that they have the right to open your luggage and seize your alcohol at anytime, but I have yet to have that heppen. Shoot, I even pack wrapped Christmas gifts, but I only pack this stuff n my checked luggage. I have heard that you can carry it on in your carry on bag with DCL, but I figure why take the chance. I wrap the bottles in bubble wrap and then place them in zip lock bags and put them in between my clothes. I haven't had any of them break yet, but then again I haven't had the room to bring a case of anything including soda pop either! LOL!

I think you will find many people here bring stuff along. We bring a rolling cooler with NO ICE, and have alcohol in it, and have our room steward fill it 2x daily with ice. THis works out great, great, great. We are not huge drinkers, but when on vacation we have a couple here and there. It is a nice savings, and very convenient. We have even had Shirley (theperfect.cc) send us a couple of adult baskets.. :teeth:

They know what is in the bottles when the bags go thru the xray & even comment that you should have a nice time on the cruise.

Don't check it however. No matter how much bubble wrap you use, the luggage gorillas and baggage conveyers can break that bottle. Which if it were only your own clothing that was ruined would be your own risk, but when your bag gets tossed on top of someone elses, and their carefully selected formalwear gets tie dyed with Merlot and smells like rum, they aren't happy.

Readytocruisefrompa said:
Since when?! They used to be the only cruise line that DID allow alcohol to be brought onboard. We have always just carried a case of beer right on.

As far as I know, this rule hasn't changed. They wouldn't even have need for the uncorking fee they charge to open your own bottles of wine, if you weren't allowed to have your own bottles of wine. According to Cruise Critic it is still allowed. (Not that they are official or anything.)

Has anyone ever shipped a case of wine to the ship? I am hosting a Dis Party in our room and would love to have drinks.

The website that I buy wine from listed Florida as a current ship to state. Has something changed recently?

I think that the law actually changed this year. I copied this from the fed ex website...

Florida Wine Shipping Services
FedEx is expanding wine shipping services to accept legal wine shipments to consumers into, out of, and within Florida. The effective date is March 1, 2006. For those shipping wine to NY consumers, please note changes on the State Pairing Guide.

Oh cool! I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

So.... where's the party? :dance3:

I didn't know you could ship to Florida now! Oh Sweet. Oregon Vineyard wines now onboard...Whoo Hoo :cool1: That will save my back from across the country! No more carry on of bottles!

Does anyone know if DCL actually follows through with the $15 corkage fee? That might make me rethink bringing a bottle to dinner. The last non-DCL cruise I was on, they told me what the corkage fee was but never charged it.

joshua121301 said:
Has anyone ever shipped a case of wine to the ship? I am hosting a Dis Party in our room and would love to have drinks.
Any alcohol being shipped must come directly from the vendor or wholesaler. UPS, FedEX, and USPS will not accept packages with alcohol. If they are found they will be destroyed. If they are damaged in transit, and damage other packages, you will be responsible for the damages incurred.

Float My Boat said:
Since when?! They used to be the only cruise line that DID allow alcohol to be brought onboard. We have always just carried a case of beer right on.

As far as I know, this rule hasn't changed. They wouldn't even have need for the uncorking fee they charge to open your own bottles of wine, if you weren't allowed to have your own bottles of wine. According to Cruise Critic it is still allowed. (Not that they are official or anything.)

I beleive you are correct. I dont think DCL has changed. Hope this is still true.

Ok, here comes the flames :furious:

Mom and Dad shipped a bottle of rum (they make plastic bottles) and we shipped a bottle of vodka (again, in plastic). Mom brought plastic flasks to dispense it at drink time. There was a group of 14 of us (8 drinkers) and it saved lots of money. We also mailed down pirate stuff and door decorations.

I would also not check it....our first cruise we packed a case of Bud bottles...and I think once it got to our room there was only 4 salvaged - the rest were broken~!

I'm not a drinker. Just give me a diet Coke with a slice of lemon and I'm good to go. I think my family still had 1/2 of each bottle full at the end. Then after a week at Disney they still have some to leave behind with relatives who live in Kissimmee. If anybody's been hit with a bar tab, you know they probably saved a ton of money.

I love my virgin pina coladas and having it without alcohol is like fifty cents cheaper and that's what killed us last cruise.

We took a large rolling cooler full of beer on our July 9th cruise. We had no problems. Our cabin steward kept it filled with ice.

I would recommend carring any wine on the ship yourself. Some friends that went with us had a bottle of red wine break in their suitcase. (They thought it was wrapped up enough, but obviously it wasn't.) Of course it was in the suitcase with all of their dinner clothing. My friend discovered it when she went to check out her room for the first time and found her suitcase sitting in her bathtub with plastic wrap around it. When she called guest services, they had someone to her door in less than a minute. They dry cleaned everything and had it back to their room by 7:00 in the evening. Every spot came out!!! (Earlier, another friend could see the luggage being loaded on the ship and commented how rough they were with the luggage.) Live and learn!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter