Pacific cruise ocean conditions

badaboum9

Earning My Ears
Was anyone on the recent Sept 30 Vancouver to San Diego re-positioning cruise? If so, how were the ocean conditions? My family is contemplating taking the cruise next year, but am worried about rougher ocean conditions as several members are prone to sea sickness. I hear it can be bad entering the Pacific (after leaving Victoria) and around San Francisco.

We just got back from this cruise and did it last year too. The great thing about this cruise is that you have following seas this time of year so it’s smoother. We hung close to shore this time so the bar off Astoria Oregon was shaky but I wouldn’t call it rough.

It was basically smooth sailing throughout. I would say that on the second sea day I started to perceive the motion of the ship more, but mostly while I was on our verandah or out on deck where I could watch the railing in relation to the horizon. We were also on the April Fantasy sailing that couldn’t dock at Castaway, and this was nothing in comparison to those choppy waters. Ultimately the most obvious difference post-Victoria was that we could feel the vibrations of the engine much, much more once we started to pick up speed (to an extent that I found reminiscent of the Fantasy, which was surprising).

There is no way to predict future weather and seas based on people’s past experience - especially in the world’s largest ocean. They do sail fairly close to the coast but that doesn’t really matter. You’ll only know for sure when you are there.

I've the done the trip yearly with other cruise lines and it all depends on the weather. Yes, there is more movement when you leave the protected waters of the inside passage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter