Owners Meeting at Riviera

Cfabar1

DIS Veteran
We were recently stumbling into the Doorway to Dreams center at Downtown Disney/Disney Springs WDW. It has recently reopened and there were several guides there. They invited us to attend an Owner's Meeting held daily at Disney's Riviera Resort. We were told it was limited to ten families daily and there would be a special gift at the end. We figured we were going to EPCOT to pick up our magnets and visit the AP lounge, so why not use the Skyliner and hop over to Riviera and enjoy the Air Conditioning for a little bit.

We thought it might be an event like the different kinds of Member events we have attended on the Disney Cruise Line including Member Trivia Shows, Or the recent event we we attended on the Disney Dream which was just drinks in the Cove Cafe and having guides and folks there.

Instead we were treated to a rather boring event that was put 20 people (instead of the ten we were told) into a Grand Villa and they offered some canned videos about the artwork at Riviera and the Cabins, and a video about something else that wasn't that interesting. They explained the Hotel Exchange program, and doing some quick math on the properties they showed in their examples, it was clear this is an absolutely terrible use of points - even worse than say DCL...

At the end they gave everyone a free backpack - one per family - not even one per person, which I thought was kind of cheap. The backpacks were very small in their size and rather flimsy. The ones we have received from DVC Resale Market in the past were of a higher quality and can hold more.

Guides were on hand to answer questions after the presentation. We left immediately as we didn't have any questions at this time that made sense for us. No alcohol was provided, though small Dasani water bottles were given to each guest upon entry to the Grand Villa.

The hostess was engaging and did a yeoman's job trying to keep everyone invested with her spirited and engaging speaking style in what was a rather uninspiring presentation from Disney Vacation Club. We will likely not attend one of these presentations again anytime soon.

Posting this here in case other folks visit the Doorway to Dreams Center at Disney Springs so that they know about this program. We were told it could exclusively be booked at the Doorway to Dreams Center, though I am skeptical that is the case.

One of the DVC associates at the Riviera was super friendly as we passed by in the lobby yesterday (Monday) afternoon. He then invited us to the owner meeting, only to be told by a guide it was full. We had coffee at the coffe bar in the lobby and passed by the group assembling in the lobby. This same associate tried again, asking another guide, to have us join. He was once again told no, no more room left. Sounds like we dodged a yawn fest.

no alcohol ????!!!??
On DCL they regularly provide alcohol at the DVC Member Updates. They have a champagne and vodka drink that is dyed blue available for all members... Most people have one glass, though a few folks have no problem taking 2 or 3 of these during the 30 minute presentation. They tend to be pretty weak.

On DCL they regularly provide alcohol at the DVC Member Updates. They have a champagne and vodka drink that is dyed blue available for all members... Most people have one glass, though a few folks have no problem taking 2 or 3 of these during the 30 minute presentation. They tend to be pretty weak.
I would think there might be a legal issue serving alcohol at a timeshare solicitation. You could claim that you signed while in an altered state.

Just got off the Magic and it was as you described. They also had a mixer for prospective members at Cove cafe and asked current members if they were interested in attending to give personal accounts/experiences of being members, with one free drink (choice of a specialty coffee or alcohol). Went to that for the free drink (wife was planning on getting a coffee there anyway). No prospective members showed up, met a couple current members and grabbed our free drinks and left after about 15 minutes.

I would think there might be a legal issue serving alcohol at a timeshare solicitation. You could claim that you signed while in an altered state.
I get that, but I guess whatever they do is not something they are worried about. My understanding is they have done it for years - and it is, as far as I know, one of the few ways to get "free" alcohol on a DCL cruise.

The DVC updates are more a way to "start a conversation"... I doubt they would have anyone sign. If you want to sign, you would need to pick a time (as I recall they have magnetic time slots displayed on a white board) that you would register to meet with the team. We have never met with them other than had some nice chats with one of the guides at the Cove Cafe during that fellowship time. We aren't opposed to buying more direct, but they aren't selling what we want right now.

While they don't do BAC tests, I suspect if they felt someone was inebriated or in an altered state they might be told by their legal team to have the individual return later to sign.

The presentation at Riviera was both less engaging, and didn't provide anything to drink other than water. Even a Coke would have been a step up!

My guess is this is not the same thing that they are doing on the DCL cruise and is just a way to get owners in to share new details without a hard sell. While it certainly doesn't sound like it was anything exciting, probably just another way to expose owners to other things that might spark an add on.

The solicitation of time shares and insurance sales have a lot more laws around them than normal business deals for obvious reasons….
But are the deals even fully consummated at the meeting? Doesn't the real paperwork follow a few days later, well after you (should have) sobered up? LOL
And isn't there the usual 3 day review period where you can cancel without penalty?

This seems like a waste of time. I'll add that to my notes of things to avoid. Reminds me of the old member's meetup on Wednesdays over on the Boardwalk. We never did make it over there for one of those though.

They used to have a great owner meeting once a week at aulani. Pre Covid there were mimosas, breakfast rolls and donuts, and the drawings for cool stuff and everyone walked away with a nice hat. And the dvc kiosks gave away great pins. Of course that all ended with Covid as the excuse. If there is a meetings, no food, no drinks, no gifts. And the kiosks might have stickers. On the cruise they used to man the dvc kiosks with real people and give away hats or pins. All of that is gone. Seems like poor marketing ploy to me especially given how expensive points are now.

When I read the title, I was hoping it was a meeting to air our grievances about Bar Riva's scandalous decision to remove sticky wings from the menu.
What!!!????!!! I had finally gotten to try them over the winter and they were amazing and now they are gone? Who can we complain to?

Just turn up at the Riviera and ask for a tour. I did last year and saw all the rooms. Even got given a $25 gift card as a TY. The guide gushed about the grand villa costing $3000. "A week?", I mischievously asked. He seemed bemused and didn't get the Brit humour. Why do the villas have balconies not facing the fireworks? Seems like a shot in the foot to me.

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest