Own Land and Sea

pjbeagle

Mouseketeer
Has anyone ever booked your own land and sea vacation? Is it cheaper to go through Disney to do the 4 day land 3 day cruise or can I book my own 4 day land vacation staying at one of the All Star resorts then go on the cruise? Does Disney offter transportation for this or would I have to book that myself?

Most people on the board will tell you that you can probably find it cheaper by booking separately. Plus, you can customize your land to your liking. I know that you can still book transportation through DCL (not sure if they leave from any of the All-Stars but you can arrange to have your luggage sent over to a participating resort). The transportation part costs about $70/person and is also charged in the land and sea package. Depending on the number of people in your group, you may want to look at reserving a car for the day to transport yourself over to the port (you could pick up the car the day before you sail, drive over that morning, drop the car off at the rental agency - some people drop their group off at the port and then one person takes the car back - and take their shuttle to the ship). You can repeat this when you arrive back. Sometimes you can get a car one-way for each day and come out cheaper than doing the transfers.

I have priced it out both ways and for us it was cheaper to book separately. I did a Land and Sea booked through Disney back in 2005 and I felt more comfortable booking everything through Disney then since that was our first time sailing. This time though I did everything separately.

I think booking the complete package through Disney is a convenience but it can cost a bit more to do it that way. If you are comfortable enough and like to plan your trips then I would do it separately.

We're doing our first land and sea in July. I booked everything separate because I used our DVC points to pay for the cruise and the 7/4 deal for our hotel. We're driving down, so we'll drive ourselves to the port. The only advantages to doing a land/sea booked with DCL, I can find is that you get transportation AND once you check into your WDW resort, you're all set for the cruise, your key at WDW is also your key on the ship.

DCL buses DO NOT PICK UP from All Stars or Pop Century resorts.

Here is a list of ones that they do pick up from to go to the port.....note....they drop off at all the resorts but only pick up from the list below.

Here is a list of all resorts that DCL picks up from.

Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa

Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge

Disney's Beach Club Resort

Disney's Polynesian Resort

Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa

Walt Disney World Dolphin Hotel

Walt Disney World Swan Hotel

Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside

Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter

Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort

MJ

More Questions:

So I can stay at the All Star and have my luggage sent to one of the resorst that DCL picks up and then take a bus to that same resort?

What about getting from the port to the airport? DCL take me back to the Airport after the cruise?

What time does the ship usually disembark so I know what time to book air back?

I'm sure I'll have a few more questions. We've been to WDW 3 times in the past 2 years so we know our way around Disney but looking at doing a cruise this year.

More Questions:

So I can stay at the All Star and have my luggage sent to one of the resorst that DCL picks up and then take a bus to that same resort?

What about getting from the port to the airport? DCL take me back to the Airport after the cruise?

I'm sure I'll have a few more questions. We've been to WDW 3 times in the past 2 years so we know our way around Disney but looking at doing a cruise this year.

Unfortunately you can't have your luggage sent...you and your luggage have to get to the other resort...many use a taxi.

You could do DCL transfers for $69 pp round trip (WDW to port and port back to airport).

Everyone must be off the ship by 9:00 am. DCL recommends no flights earlier than noon but many book from 11:00 on (just know that the ship can get held up for letting people off...that is why DCL recommends no earlier flights than noon).

If you are flying one of the participating airlines of DCL's onboard airline check-in program and are using the DCL transfers you can register for their onboard airline check-in service....which means DCL will take your luggage on the last night of the cruise and you won't see it again until your home airport. A very convenient perk for those either booking their air with DCL or using one of the participating airlines AND at least one way of DCL transfers. You can't have a flight earlier than 11:25 for this program. DCL will even deliver your boarding passes right to your cabin onboard.

Here is a link that describes the program at the DCL site.

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/dcl/en_US/onboard/more/detail?name=OnboardAirlineCheckInDetailPage

MJ

More Questions:

Don't know on this one, I've seen both where people have had to take it themselves or the CMs help

You can book round trip transfers and they can take you back to any resort or the airport.

The DCL website recommends booking air travel for after 12:30pm. They usually want everyone off the ship by 9am so they can get ready for the next group of guests.

Enjoy your cruise! I had my first cruise/Disney cruise December last year and had a blast! I can't wait for my next one, and it's longer this time!

-- And what mmouse37 said!!

We did our own land/sea for our first DCL cruise. We wanted to stay at the Grand Floridian and Category 6 on DCL which is not offered through Disney's Land/Sea Package. We also did 4-nights at WDW and 4-night cruise, which is also not offered through Disney.

We booked DCL transfers and got picked up from the Grand Floridian for our cruise. It was a breeze!

Since we own DVC we plan A La Carte for everything. I think you can probably find a cheaper deal on both portions booking this way - esp. if you want a cheaper resort than what you can get thru the packages or to add the dining plan to your land portion. You have greater freedom to mix and match your vacation that way.

We prefer booking seperately. We like having all the choices you have doing it that way. And also it ends up being a whole lot cheaper for us in the long run. :)

We were on the 1/31/09 Eastern to St Croix. We originally had looked at the Disney Land & Sea packages, but wanted to do a longer cruise than that, so we booked through our travel agent. We assumed that when we checked into our resort (Polynesian), that we would be checked into the cruise as well (just like the website indicated). But apparently that is only true if you book the L&S pkg with DCL or use Disney Travel to book the whole trip. The only real difference we saw was that we had to wait in the line at the port to check into the cruise, which was only about 10 min. We love the Disney Magical Express and love not having to deal with the luggage from place to place and it's worth every penny of the $69!

We prefer booking seperately. We like having all the choices you have doing it that way. And also it ends up being a whole lot cheaper for us in the long run. :)
ditto.
We've done a few nights at GF concierge then cat 10 on the cruise- that doesn't work if you do land/sea with them. I think they kinda base what resort you're at by what cat room you're on the cruise- so you can't mix/match that.
I like the options of staying at WDW however short- or long- that I want and not having to "match up" the resort with the category on the cruise. This time we're going a week at FW then 7nt cruise.
I also wouldn't like the short cruise- which I think you basically have to do 3/4 or 4/3 on their land sea... I want a longer cruise than that! LOL

DCL Transportation will also pickup from The Wilderness Lodge and The Boardwalk Resorts as we have gone on cruises from there in the last 4 months...............:surfweb: :surfweb: :surfweb:

We were on the 1/31/09 Eastern to St Croix. We originally had looked at the Disney Land & Sea packages, but wanted to do a longer cruise than that, so we booked through our travel agent. We assumed that when we checked into our resort (Polynesian), that we would be checked into the cruise as well (just like the website indicated). But apparently that is only true if you book the L&S pkg with DCL or use Disney Travel to book the whole trip.
On our last cruise we stayed at the CBR and after we checked in we went over to the DCL check in desk and checked in there too. We drove ourseleves to the port (with our luggage - DCL really wanted to take them for us but we were not ready when they were). Once we got to the port and I returned from dropping off the rental car, we got to go to the front of the boarding line because we had checked in at WDW. We did book our pre-cruise stay through DCL so that might have made a difference?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter