Overwhelmed, help!

JacLynne

Earning My Ears
Backstory. We are going to WDW the last week in August. Our oldest son has enlisted and leaves for boot camp this fall, and we are doing 1 last family trip. This will be our 1st time back to WDW since 2010. My husband does not like Disney World (he has been 1 time, in 2010), my kids and I love it (my teens got to pick where our family vacay would be and they choose WDW over Aulani.)
My 18 year old (huge star wars fan), my 3 yo princess and I will (give me all the shows) arrive 1st on Tuesday. My 14 yo (thrill seaker) and husband arrive on Friday night. We are staying at OKW (We are DVC) and have an 8 night dining plan from Saturday on (we switch hotel rooms after the other 2 arrive.) I have not bought tix yet. Trying to decide how many days to get for the 1st group (10 sounds good), and how many to get for the 2nd group. How many days to do in each park, etc. The 1st day we can go to MK is Saturday because my hubs wants to be there with our daughter for the 1st time. Also, what to do on our non park days. Plus, I would like to do a date night with my hubs and show him some Disney Magic without having the kids. Part of the reason he doesnt like Disney is probably my fault. I LOVE it, and want to spend every moment in the magic. My hubs just wants to chillax. He doesn't think he even wants to do Epcot (and we will be there during food and wine!) He has been to Disneyland a few times (we lived in SoCal and I made him go with me), and thinks WDW is identical. He loves thrill rides and would prefer 6 flags. I think he is broken.
I have been doing a TON of research over the last few days and have a color coordinated binder, but we haven't been in SO long I don't have 1st hand knowledge anymore. I am totally overwhelmed and decided to ask for help.

TIA!

There's a lot of moving parts here and my brain can't absorb everything.

A) Be aware there are date based tickets now. You choose your first day and how many days you want to go, and it will be usable in a certain time frame.

B) I'd check out some of the new dining facilities in Disney Springs. Is he an Indiana Jones fan, then Jock Lindsey's at Disney Springs is worth visiting.

C) Non park days- check out Animal Kingdom Lodge and/or other resorts. Play mini golf, have a pool day. Etc.

I hear you. I haven't been to WDW since 2012, I'm looking to head back in 2020, and it is really overwhelming how much has changed. I've tried to keep up with all the news about rides and lands and whatnot, but I just know I've missed a lot. :) But maybe start with the easy things first. If you're arriving Tuesday and not going to a park that day, you can easily do a park each day and have Saturday be the first MK day without feeling like you've missed out. Maybe start with your favorite park that isn't MK, lol. Definitely get EPCOT in there.

For non-park days, just see what your family wants to do. Maybe check out the other Disney resorts, spend some time at Disney Springs, or even just relax at the pool in your home resort. Don't make plans your heart will break over having to change. If your husband likes themeparks that are more thrill oriented, can you add in a day to go to Universal perhaps? Sounds like that may be more his speed.

For a date night, I think it'd really depend on how formal you want your date to be. Albert and Victoria's always struck me as a lovely date type place, but it's expensive (even for Disney) and it does have a dress code. Maybe pick out your top three dinner spots and have him choose his favorite from that, to make sure you don't accidentally choose something he'll hate. I know the type of food I adore is vastly different from what my husband loves, so we usually end up compromising on food things. Disney Springs has a lot of date-type activities these days too, from the large movie theater complex to the big bowling place, not to mention the massive variety of food places available there.

Also, don't burn yourself out trying to please everyone. It sounds like you're going to be in the Disney bubble for quite a number of days, it's more than enough to get a dang good taste of everything Disney offers, so you can take your time going around and visiting all the parks and such. It should be fun. So don't let your husband shame you into not enjoying it the way you love to just because he doesn't love it too, but also don't worry if helping him enjoy it a little more means maybe sleeping in a day or two, or going back to the room earlier than you'd hoped.

Backstory. We are going to WDW the last week in August. Our oldest son has enlisted and leaves for boot camp this fall, and we are doing 1 last family trip. This will be our 1st time back to WDW since 2010. My husband does not like Disney World (he has been 1 time, in 2010), my kids and I love it (my teens got to pick where our family vacay would be and they choose WDW over Aulani.)
My 18 year old (huge star wars fan), my 3 yo princess and I will (give me all the shows) arrive 1st on Tuesday. My 14 yo (thrill seaker) and husband arrive on Friday night. We are staying at OKW (We are DVC) and have an 8 night dining plan from Saturday on (we switch hotel rooms after the other 2 arrive.) I have not bought tix yet. Trying to decide how many days to get for the 1st group (10 sounds good), and how many to get for the 2nd group. How many days to do in each park, etc. The 1st day we can go to MK is Saturday because my hubs wants to be there with our daughter for the 1st time. Also, what to do on our non park days. Plus, I would like to do a date night with my hubs and show him some Disney Magic without having the kids. Part of the reason he doesnt like Disney is probably my fault. I LOVE it, and want to spend every moment in the magic. My hubs just wants to chillax. He doesn't think he even wants to do Epcot (and we will be there during food and wine!) He has been to Disneyland a few times (we lived in SoCal and I made him go with me), and thinks WDW is identical. He loves thrill rides and would prefer 6 flags. I think he is broken.
I have been doing a TON of research over the last few days and have a color coordinated binder, but we haven't been in SO long I don't have 1st hand knowledge anymore. I am totally overwhelmed and decided to ask for help.

TIA!

Have you looked into annual passes? If you are DVC members, you get a discount and they are usually comparable to a 10 day park hopper.

My husband and I are huge foodies. We did the Victoria & Albert’s Chef’s Table and it was one of the most special nights of my life. While I am not suggesting that, V&A is a great option or for obviously less money, Disney Springs restaurants are so good now. We like Boathouse and Paddlefish plus then before you can grab cocktails at a different bar?
California Grille in the Contemporary is still really good to or we ate at Capa at The Four Seasons and that was really romantic too. Il Mulino in either the Swan or Dolphin is my fav Italian restaurant but in the parks we LOVE LOVE LOVE Tutto Gusto Wine Cellar in Italy at Epcot. That’s walk up only though.
Maybe consider doing a food and wine pairing event during the festival? Those are so special. We did them in Italy and at Morimoto. They really go above and beyond at those events.
Let me know what other questions you may have. Have fun planning!

Thanks! I am going to look into the pairings and Tutto Gusto!
I know we wont be back in the parks for a while, he wants to do an Adventures By Disney trip next, or go back to Aulani, which is his happy place lol Just trying to fill that WDW cup so that it lasts for a few years!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter