Over 50 and wearing panty hose

jaye614

Mouseketeer
Would it look bad to be over 50 years old and not wear panty hose with a summer, sleeveless dress?

^^^Agree - I don't know if it's a regional thing but I haven't seen anyone in pantyhose in years.

It depends. I am over 50. I live in the Washington DC area. People my age, and even younger, are wearing pantyhose quite often. Definitely at work (I've got several 30 years olds and, when really dress up, they all wear very sheer, nude hose).

Now, if this dress is on the more casual side, summery, flowy and you are wearing sandals, then, no on the pantyhose. I wear hose with pencil skirts and close-toed shoes, very sheer, you'd hardly know they were there but they definitely make for a clean line and flaws disappear.

It's sometimes hard to know what to do because if your legs look really bad then no-hose can be far worse. But some people, no matter what age, have great legs.

Last edited:

Princess Kate Middleton wears hose all the time. Very sheer 15 denier. I have terrible legs--a result of carrying twins, each nearly eight pounds at birth. If it's a particularly formal event, I too wear hose. For day to day, I go bare.

Agree with others, do whatever is comfortable for you. I'm over 50 too. With a summer dress and sandals, I don't wear hose, but since my legs are very pale, I sometimes use leg makeup to add a bit of color and give them a smoother look.

In colder weather, I usually wear hose, especially with a more formal dress or skirt. And as pp said, it can depend on the shoes-- I'm uncomfortable wearing pumps with bare feet.

I live in the South, where it is usually warm.
NOBODY wears pantyhose.... (except for some, to the absolute most dressy occasions)

If I'm not going to court, even when wearing a suit to a large financial institution, I don't wear hose and never see anyone who does, sometimes even in court/being deposed. You're still young! Rock your summer dress and some cute sandals with a good pedicure and be fabulous!

If I'm not going to court, even when wearing a suit to a large financial institution, I don't wear hose and never see anyone who does, sometimes even in court/being deposed. You're still young! Rock your summer dress and some cute sandals with a good pedicure and be fabulous!

Hey, as long as your skin looks good, I agree. After 50, it's hit or miss.

It depends. I am over 50. I live in the Washington DC area. People my age, and even younger, are wearing pantyhose quite often. Definitely at work (I've got several 30 years olds and, when really dress up, they all wear very sheer, nude hose).

Now, if this dress is on the more casual side, summery, flowy and you are wearing sandals, then, no on the pantyhose. I wear hose with pencil skirts and close-toed shoes, very sheer, you'd hardly know they were there but they definitely make for a clean line and flaws disappear.

It's sometimes hard to know what to do because if your legs look really bad then no-hose can be far worse. But some people, no matter what age, have great legs.

I agree, it depends on the situation and the person. I have white fat legs and haven't worn a dress in years. I wouldn't feel comfortable going bare at work.

Well, now I'm thinking I should wear pantyhose all summer, because I'm so super white.

Nah, as long as your legs look good, that doesn't matter. It's just when you're over 50, the actual skin on some people (that would be me) just isn't what it used to be (sun damage didn't help that). I'm not one to put age limits on things, but believe that if you look great at something, then rock it. If you don't, then play up your other assets. For instance, I say if you have beautiful hair, keep it long forever. But if it starts getting gnarly and ratty looking due to age, get a flattering cut that helps the hair.

So, obviously, I feel the same way about hose. If you feel like your leg skin or shape of your legs would detract from the outfit, get a really nice pair of hose (generally the good kind of fairly comfortable, the $5 pair not so much). If it's a summery dress, the hose must be REALLY sheer. If wearing strappy sandals then go without. The hose really don't look good in that type of shoe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter