Ovation in Alaska June 2019

erinsmom03

Mouseketeer
So, we are considering taking Ovation of the Seas instead of the Wonder for our first Alaskan cruise in summer of 2019. I have many questions, but the biggest is this...will the Ovation continue to sail in Asia in the future? If not, will there be changes to the ship, specifically with dining options, to reflect more "American" fare versus Asian cuisine?

Anyone else considering the June 28th sailing on the Ovation? (2019)

We are booked on Norwegian’s new Bliss ship for summer 2019 Alaska, but I’m also considering the Ovation and have similar questions before making the decision to change.

Edit: so I read that they do change up the menus and entertainment for the Australia sailing, so I’d guess they’ll do the same when it goes to AK.

While I can get a similar room for less on Ovation, I think I want to try Norwegian for Glacier Bay and the different experience. We were lucky to go on Royal a few years ago and the kids had a blast on the rock wall and flo rider, but I think they’ll also flip for the Bliss’ laser tag and go karts. The kids really enjoyed the kids club on Royal- that was great, as well.

Last edited:
We are booked on Norwegian’s new Bliss ship for summer 2019 Alaska, but I’m also considering the Ovation and have similar questions before making the decision to change.

Edit: so I read that they do change up the menus and entertainment for the Australia sailing, so I’d guess they’ll do the same when it goes to AK.

While I can get a similar room for less on Ovation, I think I want to try Norwegian for Glacier Bay and the different experience. We were lucky to go on Royal a few years ago and the kids had a blast on the rock wall and flo rider, but I think they’ll also flip for the Bliss’ laser tag and go karts. The kids really enjoyed the kids club on Royal- that was great, as well.

I was going to look into the Bliss as well, just haven't done it yet. We've been on Disney cruises only with our daughter, and are thinking she will be ready for something new to try next year when she turns 16. Have you done Alaskan cruises before? What are you looking forward to at Glacier Bay?

Some other thoughts... I went back to look at photos (developed, before phones and digital, or I’d post them) i have pics of us in the hot tubs, but not the pools. I remember it being refreshing outside. I have pictures of me in t-shirts out on the deck. I have pics with a windbreaker at Juneau.

I loved the ports, I was just blown away by the awesomeness of it all.

I can’t wait to share this with my own kids, though they are quite a bit younger than I was when I went. My oldest will be too old for the kids club, so we’ll see how the teen rooms /
activities work out vs hanging out with us.

We are booked on Ovation for 6/21/2019. This will be our first cruise with Royal so I have no idea what to expect! Our kids will be 12 and 9 at the time. I picked this over some of the smaller ships so we can be sure they have enough to do. I think the scenery will (and should!) be plenty but want my bases covered.

I was looking at August dates both on Ovation and Wonder (and now want to look at Norwegian too). My kid really wants to do the Disney Cruise, but the price difference is huge!

My only hesitation is that I don’t know if we would enjoy the at sea days as much without the Disney characters/activities. And I also wonder if we would enjoy a land tour better anyway - cost is not too much different.

Decisions!!!

My kid really wants to do the Disney Cruise, but the price difference is huge!

Same here, been looking at Alaska in 2019, and checked Disney Prices the day before they were made available to the General public. I cannot believe how much it is! I can understand a premium, but they are WAY higher......and will only get higher still as the boat fills up! Love Disney and their ships, but I cannot justify spending that much for a 1 week vacation. Plus you still need to buy airfare, transportation, excursions, and drinks. For us, a family of 3, we would be in the neighborhood of $15K.

So, I've been looking at Princess, Celebrity, Norwegian, Royal and Carnival. Needless to say, Carnival was the lowest cost...but, Carnival is at the bottom of my list.....

Princess was about 25% less than Disney for a "similar" stateroom. RC and Norwegian were about 1/3 Less, and carnival was just over half......But...It's carnival. I have sailed Carnival, and it's fine for the price. It has it's market and they love it. But that's why Carnival also Owns Princess, which is probably more comparable to Disney, just not as Kid friendly. Probably leaning towards RC, but the Bliss looks really nice!

We are booked on Ovation for 6/21/2019. This will be our first cruise with Royal so I have no idea what to expect! Our kids will be 12 and 9 at the time. I picked this over some of the smaller ships so we can be sure they have enough to do. I think the scenery will (and should!) be plenty but want my bases covered.
For Alaska on this ship?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!