Our vacation grew up.....Almost 12/8-12/10

dlavender

DIS Veteran
We finally did Universal/IOA for the first time as a family. It was my first time back in almost 10 years. Suffice to say a lot has changed!

We stayed at Royal Pacific. We were blown away. For what WDW charges for a moderate ($230), I couldn't believe all that RPR had to offer! We loved the room, which was a great size for our family of 5. Loved having all the restaurant options and bars located in the hotel. The service level is top notch. The walk to the parks is very manageable and nice. Wouldn't hesitate to return, and would much rather stay here even if going to WDW over their resorts.

I loved having the Express pass. It was a nice perk. We were able to do everything we wanted, multiple times, because of it. We like how less crowded the parks were compared to WDW, with the exception of the Harry Potter sections. Diagon Ally was a little too congested for our liking, but the theming is great. Toothsome was great, as well.

My only complaints are the height restrictions, and screens (hear me out). Our 3 1/2 year old was restricted from too many rides. I was shocked that they made minions with a restriction of 40 inches. Shes 39.75 inches, apparently. We will have to wait until she hits that magical 40 mark until we get back. I felt a little bad that she had to miss so much.

On the screens, I wish they would scale back just a tad. Gringots had a lot of potential. Why not start with a screen, then let the ride happen, then end with a screen? Could have been a great coaster if they let it. When we go back, we will have to break up the screens. We did maybe 5 in a row, and it loses its luster some.

It was our first time doing Rip Ride Rollercoaster (Sp?), it was phenomenal! Our 9 year old loved all the thrill rides, and so did I! Perhaps we should do a few screens, then come back for a coaster, then do another screen. Kong was ok, but I prefer the original (not biased because I worked there or anything :) )

All in all, it was a great weekend! We bought AP's, so we will be back, when the little one gets that magical .25 inches!

Little one will grow quickly over the year.
Start planning for a repeat vacation now....

How was Royal Pacific with a family of 5? Did you stay in a standard 2-queen bed room? Where did the 3rd child sleep? I also have a family of 5, so I’m trying to figure out how it will work. Thanks!

Many make a pallet on the floor for the 5th person

Star service will supply you with blankets, linens, pillows free for the asking
Some peeps bring an air mattress to use on the pallet if it is to be used by an older child

This way you can avoid renting the rollaway bed costs of $25 per night

Thanks
Many make a pallet on the floor for the 5th person

Star service will supply you with blankets, linens, pillows free for the asking
Some peeps bring an air mattress to use on the pallet if it is to be used by an older child

This way you can avoid renting the rollaway bed costs of $25 per night

Thanks! I am thinking of bringing a small air mattress. I just wanted to make sure the hotel wouldn’t have a problem with that.

The hotels are used to peeps making a pallet on the floor

You don’t have to deflate your air mattress each morning

Just leave it on one of the beds or prop it against the wall

Housekeepers see this all the time

When in the room, push the star service button for the bedding needs
Service for this is free

We paid the fee for the rolloway.
There was still plenty of space in the room when it was in use.

Thanks for sharing. My 3 year old is 39.57 in so he will be staying with Grandma when we head to Universal in 2 days. I am excited to take him probably next year. I think there is a lot he would love.

Our APs expire in a week, but my DH much prefers Universal to Disney so I'm sure we'll have APs again at some point. IMO Universal APs are way more cost effective than Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!