Our tax dollars hard at work

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by manning, Apr 3, 2013.

  1. manning

    manning Just for that I have requested it

    Feb 12, 2002
    I'min the process of settling the estate of a relative who died last year.As yet I haven't gotten a 1099-R from the air force. I call them up and this is how the conversation went.

    ME: "I'm settling the estate for deceased Maj XXX and I haven't gotten a 1099R yet. Can you tell me when I will get one"

    THEM: "Before I can give out that information I need to talk to Maj XXX to get his permission to give you that information."

    ME: "When can we meet at the cemetery for you to talk to him as he doesn"t have phone service."
  2. DeaverTex

    DeaverTex Opinionated Texan cheapskate who loves Disney.

    May 25, 2011
    Perfect! It's good to know that the Air Force is as screwed up on this as the Army.
  3. Avatar


    to hide this advert.
  4. manning

    manning Just for that I have requested it

    Feb 12, 2002
    I have a feeling that a lot of it is centralized now under dept of defense.
  5. JennaDeeDooDah

    JennaDeeDooDah My oh my what a wonderful day!

    Mar 29, 2012
    reminds me of a Bill Engvall joke:
    In the lost luggage office in Buffalo-
    Lost luggage employee: Can I help you?
    Engvall: Yes, you lost my luggage.
    Employee: [looking directly at Bill] Has your plane landed yet?
    Engvall: No, princess. I'm having an out of body experience. I'm just checkin' on it.
  6. gottaluvPluto

    gottaluvPluto Loving life!

    Mar 20, 2004
    You probably talked to a GS employee. You need to send a death certificate and a letter from a lawyer stating you are the executor of the will. They have to have proof that the person is dead.
  7. Pigeon

    Pigeon DIS Veteran

    Jan 12, 2005
    My FIL passed away last year. Last month MIL was gathering the documents her accountant would need to do the taxes. She went into CVS to get a printout of all the prescription meds purchased for FIL during the year.

    The pharmacy tech told her that because FIL was dead, MIL would have to get him to sign a new power of attorney before CVS could give her the document.
  8. chloelovesdisney

    chloelovesdisney DIS Veteran

    Jul 19, 2007
    Doesn't the military have in their records that someone has died?
  9. Scrappy_Tink

    Scrappy_Tink DIS Veteran

    Aug 29, 2009
    You don't happen to have his Mypay name and password do you? If so, you can probably access it and print it off at home.....if not, call DFAS 1-888-332-7411
  10. 1Mouse2RulethemAll

    1Mouse2RulethemAll DIS Veteran

    Jul 15, 2010
    Nope. The only way the military will know is if it was a military funeral or the estate contacts them. And since the OP is after retirement information, that probably means VA.

    Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
  11. eliza61

    eliza61 DIS Veteran

    Jun 2, 2003
    I hate to bust your bubble while your so busy trashing the armed forces but it's not only the province of the airforce or army.

    This is the conversation I had with sears when my aunt passed away at 96. I was the executor of her estate and we found some old bills while cleaning out her apartment.

    Me: I'd like to close and settle the account of Mrs Helen XXX she is passed.

    Sears: Oh sorry to hear about this, May I speak with Mrs. XXXX her account is passed due.

    Me: My Aunt has died (thinking they may not have known what "passed" meant. she can't speak with you.

    Sears: well I am required to tell you that the account will be placed in collections if not paid by the due date and maybe reported to the credit agency.

    Me: :headache: report away, I don't think her credit score is a big problem for her right now.

    Sears: Is there a Mr. XXXX we could speak with.

    Me: Yes, he's located at Pinelawn cementary out on Long Island feel free to give him a call. "click"
  12. chiefmickeymouse

    chiefmickeymouse Sarcastic, silly and socially awkward

    Sep 23, 2010
    I'm surprised his 1099-R didn't come. DH got his in January. I feel your pain with the government bureaucracy. We've been trying to get the VA to do DH's disability rating for over a year.
  13. manning

    manning Just for that I have requested it

    Feb 12, 2002
    It has to do with pro-rating his final pay and getting correct info on 1099-R. They haven't even started on it yet. My call triggered them to look at it and they said by the way some info is incorrect on the form. I said OK how did that happen as I was on the phone with them when I filled out the form. I did that to make sure it was filled out correctly.Then they say they need a death certificate and a copy of trust. OK, how many times do I have to send it you already have it.

    Then they say they need a copy of court papers giving me authority. Hello folks this is a trust and, at least in this state, trusts don't go thru probate. The trust gives me authority. I am the trustee. My lawyer, who specializes in this field, shook his head and said "unbelievable".

    All I want is a 1099R so I can file his income tax return.
  14. Gumbo4x4

    Gumbo4x4 Note to the ladies who forgot to

    Jan 19, 2012
    My divorced coworker sends his ex a "maintenance" check and she sends one right back for "child support". You'd think it would make more sense for just one of them to send a check for whatever the difference is. Oh, and she hasn't paid anything in months, yet he isn't allowed to deduct what she owes from the checks he sends her. You know, because that would just make too much sense :lmao:

Share This Page