Our Storey Lake Adventure 8/12/19 and beyond

omniscientmommy

Mouseketeer
My trip includes myself and the husband, both of us in our early 30’s, with our two boys, ages 8 & 5. Our flight left Milwaukee around 6:15pm CST, about 30 minutes later. We landed at 9:47pm EST, made up the 30 min delay. I tried this new holistic sickness patch, I have serious motion sickness, and after 20 min of it not working and I was now feeling ill I popped 3 Dramamine. It was a Frontier flight and of course the front bathroom was out of order. Otherwise nothing unexpected. We headed down picked up bags and headed over to the rental car area. We rented with Budget and scored an awesome deal by linking it to our amazon account. I did sign up for their fast break rewards, and thank goodness bc the counter inside was going super slow. I headed up to the booth outside and since I hadn’t rented with them before we had to stop for paperwork. Also the lady told us we didn’t need to pay extra for an additional driver since it was my spouse. Score! We got a Ford Explorer and can tell why we got a deal. The car’s outside was unwashed, inside was fine. Took us 25 min to get to Storey Lake resort community, like 3 tolls with the last one costing $2! Almost as bad as Illinois.
We checked in at the gate and got our paper badge for the gate. We rented a 4 bed, 3 bath townhouse with splash pool off Airbnb with rental company Fvh. Now the original listing was moved because the property is being sold or some reason. They contacted me and asked if I would accept a similar unit for the same price, basically the same unit but different owners. I said ok. After getting here around 11:30 and finally getting the kids to bed. When we looked around we found a number of things that maintenance staff and cleaning staff is slacking on. I reported all of this through Airbnb. And they sent someone out the same day to look things over but I will give a more through review under the hotels thread. The husband ran out to the Walmart that was closest to get a couple essentials for the morning, like milk and cereal. He said the Walmart was shady. We went to bed around 2 am.

8/13 - Day 2 of 10. We slept until the kids woke up at 8am. Somehow DS5 set an alarm on his tablet that woke them up. After that we slowly moved around. Had to get the stroller from Orlando stroller rentals so once everyone was functional probably not until around 11, took us 15 min to get over there. And it poured. Got the stroller and since Target is right next store we got a few more things. $$$ Target is like a black hole. Headed back to the townhouse and decided to eat lunch and head to the community pool. We had to drive and when we got there it was closed due to lighting in the area. So we decided to go back and jump in the splash pool even though it wasn’t the greatest it was something. Realizing that my boys probably need to be in a bigger pool. After we chilled and then the boys ate more food, never ending hunger. About 3:30 we realized we should get a move on. So at 4 we headed to MK. I had changed our fast passes the day before after realizing we’d be too tired to do RD. 1st FP was 5-6 for buzz lightyear. However after 15 min in the car then tram ride, security and the monorail the boys were starving and it was 5. We made a pit stop then while walking I mobile ordered food at cosmic rays. We grabbed a table inside got the food and finished with 10 min to go to buzz. The FP actually had a line out the door with a curve, I was surprised. Got through and out at 6:20 and headed to teacups for the 2nd FP. Didn’t really need it but we had it so why not. Then after we realized it was 6:38 and our next FP wasn’t until 7:20.

So we did Mickey’s Philiharmonic, my boys love this, plus sitting in A/C. Got done it was still 6:55 and dh looked like he was going to pass out. He’s a big guy and of course decided to go on the keto diet while at Disney....idiot. So we went to Pinocchio’s for blue slushees as a treat for the kids. By the time that was finished we could finally go on Peter Pan! Woo hoo! The stand by line was 85 min we got on in 10. I failed to mention to dh that this was an up in the air ride and he was shooting me daggers. The last 2x we’ve done this ride he wasn’t with us.... oops! He says never again. Lol. He is scared of heights. One more bathroom stop and then we headed out. Got to the car and left the park around 8pm. It didn’t feel overwhelming crowded at MK to me but dh was complaining. I think it’s mostly this stupid diet and dehydration that made him think that, also 2 rides were down so that doesn’t help.

We forgot a couple things from our Target run and stopped at Publix near Storey Lake. It was clean and of course DS5 had to pee. Got back to the unit at 9 and the kids ate some more.... baths around 9:30 and they were sleeping by 10:10ish. I of coarse run on little to no sleep on my Disney vacations..... it’s just excitement and caffeine.

More to come.

Last edited:

omniscientmommy

Mouseketeer
8/14 - Day 3 - DH and I got up around 7:45am. Made coffee and waited for the kids to get up. That took a whole 15 min. We had fast passes scheduled for 9:30-9:45 for lion king at AK, which I could have rescheduled had they slept in. Instead we rushed them through getting ready to be out the door by 9ish. Got in through the gate at 9:30 and booked it back to lion king. Made it by 9:45, realistically we didn’t need a fast pass. After the show we made a pit stop and got croissants and a muffin and drinks and got a photo by the fence area near the train.

Since the MK train is not running we promised to ride rafiki’s planet train. It started to rain after we left the station and we hadn’t put the rain cover on the stroller....oops. We just rode it around since our next fast pass for the rapids ride was at 11:20. We covered the stroller and left it. We waited about 7 min for the ride. I didn’t tell them is was going to be a wet ride and a little rough but DS5 survived and even asked when we could go again. By this time it had stopped raining. After that we had a FastPass for Pandora river ride so we walked back by the train to get the stroller. We got there at 12:15pm and had about a 10 min wait with the FastPass.

After the ride the drum group started to play and we watched for a few minutes before heading out of the park. We made it to the front right as the tram was saying no more boarding but then like 10 ppl got on. That was annoying. We waited 2 min for the next tram and went back to the car. We got back to the unit about 1. The boys jumped in the splash pool and had some lunch. We forgot our beach towels and there are like a total of 8 towels in this whole unit and 4 of them for us as regular bathing towels and then used 4 for the pool. I then decided to go get some from Target.... and $70 later.

Now the boys are starving and it’s 4 so we’re making dinner. Not sure if we’ll go to a park tonight. TTFN.

Last edited:

omniscientmommy

Mouseketeer
8/14 - Day 3 - The other half of the evening. So after dinner the kids mentioned wanting to see fireworks. So we did all the normal pre bedtime stuff and left the unit at 7:50. Got inside the park by 8:30 and at our viewing spot for fireworks by 8:45. After fireworks we headed out. Really kinda seemed like too much driving for an hour. Did manage to catch some of the electric light show while waiting for the monorail. We had a detour, thanks navigation, and made it back at 10:20. 426047

Last edited:

omniscientmommy

Mouseketeer
8/15 - Day 4 - Hollywood Studios day and we had fastpasses starting at 10 so we slept in until my mom called at 8:15. We got ready and headed to the park. It took about 10 mins. We split up with ds8 going with DH on star Wars the adventure continues and I took ds5 took frozen. Ds5 didn't like the star Wars ride last time so I figured he'd be ok skipping it. Frozen was ok but I don't feel the need to repeat it. Glad I have boys.

DH said they changed the ride a little bit. They had to wait for us to get out of frozen. So they got 2 donuts and juice $19. The next FP was Indiana Jones but we had 15 min before we could enter so we got a t-shirt for ds5.

Upon entering ds5 was wearing his Indiana Jones hat and a CM asked if she could talk to us. She asked the boys if they wanted to be the junior directors for the show. Ds5 was like what? ds8 - awesome! Pixie dust all the way. We got to sit in the 2nd row and they give you popcorn.

So exciting to see them up there. After the show ds5 conned DH into getting a bull whip. $40... My wallet is sad. We left after that bc it was HOT and humid.

Taking the night off and hanging out in the splash pool.

omniscientmommy

Mouseketeer
8/16 - Day 5 - Realized just now we're halfway through our trip already. Where does time go? Today we went to MK. Got up at 7:30 boys were slow going and we didn't get inside the park until 10:20 which meant we missed the first FP for Buzz. The second one was the Speedway at 11 so we DH and kids did ppl mover and then we went to the Speedway. Ds8 is finally tall enough to ride alone!

After we had a fastpass for pooh's ride but I found a fastpass at 11:40 for pirates so we made our way over. Ds5 wanted to do the range first so I took ds8 to see country bears jamboree. We just caught the show. After we got to pirates and ds5 refused to even go inside the line so I waited in the gift shop with him. While doing that I found a fastpass for jungle cruise at 12. DH and ds8 got off at 11:55 and we walked right over to jungle cruise. We waited 15 min for the boat. After many, many dad jokes - very few laughs, we got off at 12:25 and decided to head out. We got back to the unit around 1:10.

The boys ate then went swimming in the splash pool. This splash pool is seriously awesome. The kids love swimming and honestly I really don't want to walk to the community pool. So after chilling out at the unit until 4 I said we should hit Hollywood Studios in the evening. After some 'dinner' type food was eaten ds8 was having tummy troubles, so I took ds5 took HS while dh stayed with ds8. We left around 5 and walked in 5:20. We went over to see Lighting McQueen, which I honestly had no idea was even there. After we walked through the shops and hung around. Ds5 wasn't willing to wait in any lines so we left at 6:40. A very short visit but it's better not to push the kids to far. We got back and I let the kids go swimming for an hour. Then showers and bed.

DH left around 9 to go get his dad from MCO. His dad is working on a job in Orlando and came down early to spend time with the boys. So read the car rental agreement from Budget carefully, because apparently in the rental agreement you automatically agree to the e-toll payment system. Which I didn't realize and now we have double paid tolls! Of course I brought cash and paid not realizing that they were paid.

omniscientmommy

Mouseketeer
8/17 - Day 6 We got up and left the house at 9. Got to Epcot at 9:15. We had to make a pit stop and then headed to living with the land. We finished that and decided to go see Pixar shorts. On the way we saw a sign for Ralph Breaks the internet meet. Detour to there inside the end of Figment ride. Ds5 was refusing to meet the characters. So ds8, grandpa and I waited in line. We got to meet Ralph and Vanellope. Made like muscle man poses. It was fun. Then we headed over the the Shorts films. We didn't realize it was going to be in 3D. The boys liked it. So it was around 11am at that point and the kids wouldn't stop saying they were hungry. DS8 wanted to eat at the Biergarten restaurant. I have no idea why because we live in the Milwaukee area. Seriously a ton of German food and a big Germanfest we go to ever single year! The kid still insist. We didn't tell him that we'd made a reservation there the night before for 12. So we told ds8 if you can get us in we'll eat there. We casually made our way over and arrived at 11:45am. We got in line to check-in and ds8 got to give our last name and say 12pm. That's all we told him to say. HA he totally thought that his puppy eyes got us a reservation! It was so cute. We sat down in the front. No one else sat with us. Did the buffet and then at like 1 we were done. No music or anything so we left. Well of course it's August in Florida so there's mid-day ran, this was a torrent. The kids and I would run when it slacked off but then we'd have to duck for cover. By the time we got the the Africa area and were waiting there 5+ min I caved and bought ponchos. Ds5 was in the stroller with a rain cover so he was ok. Finally made it out and to the car by 1:40.

We got back and went swimming and ate dinner for about 3ish hours and then decided to go back to Epcot to see Guardians of the Galaxy and the fireworks. DS5 fell asleep in the stroller, ugh and of course was a crab when he first woke back up. The Guardians came on and at this point we'd gotten popcorn, slushies and a funnel cake so everyone was happy. The boys didn't know any of the songs but seemed to like it and they danced. We got to go through the AP holder entrance. Felt somewhat special but it really didn't matter. There wasn't a line at all on the non-AP area so we could have just walked up to the front. I thought the show was fun and not too long, especially since it was very hot. After the show we hit the bathrooms and started to make our way back towards the front. I didn't realize that the Kidcot wasn't open later in the evening so ds8 was slightly disappointed but we'll try to go again. Saw 1/2 of the fireworks but we were getting bit by bugs so we left.

Connect

Disney News and Updates

Daily Updates and News