Our Southern Caribbean Excursions Review

lorimay

Strolling along...
When I was doing research for our Southern Caribbean cruise in April/May, I couldn't find many excursion reviews, so I thought I would share here with everyone here what we did on ours.

We did a B2B for the first time, April 30th-May 7th and the May 7th- May 13th, so 13 nights total. This was a very port intensive cruise, only 2 sea days total. So it was a go go cruise.
We are a couple in our early 50's and heres what we did:

1. Barbados- Harrisons Cave and Scenic Drive. We really enjoyed this tour, going into the caves was awesome and we had a great tour guide inside the cave. The excursion was about 3 hours total. Its really something to see those caves, its amazing to see nature like this.

2. St. Lucia- Land and Sea to Soufriere- This was a fun 7 hour tour. It starts with a scenic drive through the Island and the first stop is Mud Baths by a volcano. We did not go into the mud bath. The sulphur smell was way too strong for me and I didn't want to emerse myself in that and smell yucky the rest of the day. They had a clean off pool for when you come out, but yuck it looked the same color as the mud bath. Then we went on to Morne Couharil Estate. We were given a tour guide and she walked us through the property and the she took us to see how the cocoa plant is made into chocolate, pretty interesting and enjoyable. We were then taken to a buffet lunch. Chicken fish rice and a salad I believe. It was fine. After that we were taken to a catamaran for a sail to a small Island to swim and snorkel. Loved this, the ocean was beautiful and relaxing. I highly recommend this if you like spend time in the ocean.

3. Martinique- We took a boat ride to a mangrove for kayaking, this was fun. The water where you kayak is very dark not the beautiful ocean water, so you couldn't see much. The guide said he saw a barracuda, that freaked me out a bit, but I put it out of my mind and told my husband not to tip me over lol. We liked this one,but my husband being a tall husky man had a hard time on the kayak. The back rest wasn't comfortable for him like it was for me, but he made the best of it. It bothered his hip after a while. He said he never needed to kayak again!

4. Antigua- See Antigua by Sea. This one was so nice, we did it twice! Yes, we liked it so much we did it at both stops we made to this Island. You board an 82 foot catamaran for a ride all the way around the Island, with 2 stops at 2 different beaches. It was 6.5 hours total. There is a BBQ lunch served and an open bar with soda, juice, water, beer and 2 different rum punches. They were very generous passing out drinks all day. The lunch was good, one of the crew BBQed at the first Island while we swam in the ocean or snorkeled. What I loved is that they had one of the crew walking the beach (he was a certified life guard) and then to snorkel they had guides and a man in a motorized boat following in case anyone needed help while snorkling. The only issue was when your sailing in the beginning and when you leave the first Island, you are on the Eastern part of the Island and the seas are rough, I mean rough. They should have put this on the excursion explanation IMO. If I wasn't on Bonine for the cruise, I would have had a problem I am sure of it. The second visit on the second cruise was worse because it was a cloudy windy day, so the seas were higher. In spite of that, like I said it was great. This is one of the best excursions we have ever done on DCL!

5. St. Kitts- Scenes of St. Kitt. This is a covered open vehicle through the town of St. Kitt. It was so bumpy throughout the excursion, not good if you have a back issue. We stopped at Fairview House and Botanical Garden and were given a short tour, it was a hot day for sure. Then we went to Frigate Bay, where The Atlantic meets the Caribbean Sea, Beautiful to see, the colors of the water and seeing the water hit the big rocks was so nice. Then we drove past the resort area and then back to the pier. It was Ok, but I wished we would have tried something else.

6. This was the start of the second cruise, so our first stop was St. Kitts again, we decided to relax enjoy the ship and Quiet Cove for the day. Good decision for sure!

7. Tortola- Tour to Virgin Gorda (the Baths). I was so excited to see The Baths and they didn't disappoint! We took a boat ride to Virgin Gorda, it was rainy on our way over but thankfully cleared up nicely. There was a lot of people from the ship doing this excursion, we were only docked till 2pm. So when we got off the boat and headed to the open taxi's it was a bit chaotic to keep up with our tour guide. Once we got to the baths, she gave us the name "tigers" to listen for, which was helpful, but as most have read, The Baths get crowded. We went to the first stop Devil's Bay. It was a long walk and it was hot, but the reward when the trek was over was well worth it. We swam there for about 35 minutes. Next for those that wanted to see The Baths, there is a sort of obstacle course through rock and ladders you must do to get there. Some people chose not to do it, but thats why I was there and we went. It wasn't too bad, there were some tight places where you had to bend low and a steep ladder or 2, but I was glad we did it. Well worth it. It was really crowded there and we kept our eye out for the guide to be sure we didn't miss the taxi and boat back to ship, since we were only docked till 2pm. I feel like this is a must do the first time you go to Tortola. Nature's beauty for sure.

8. Castaway Cay- We were lucky enough to score a cabana on SB, it was an awesome day of swimming and relaxing. A great way to end our 30th anniversary vacation! This was the first time we were in CC in summer. We have only ever been in Winter months. Serenity Bay was the most crowded we have ever seen. Everyone soaking up the sun and fun of CC.

For us, this was the only way to see these Southern Islands, we would probably never fly to each Island individually. So this was a great Itinerary choice for us.

If you have any questions, I will be happy to answer, I have the excursion books from both cruises, so If you want or need more info on another excursion let me know. :)

Last edited:
Hi. We are doing the same excursion in Tortola next month and trying to decide if we want to stick with Disney or do it on our own to beat the crowds. I'm not sure I want to deal with ferries since its a short day but I also want my group to enjoy the baths. Do you have any advice? are you glad you did this with Disney?

thanks, ellen

Yes, I am glad we went through Disney, mostly because it was a short day and if anything happens during the excursion, they won't leave us behind.
There was another ship in port that day too, A huge ship :/.
So that added to the crowds for sure. DCL offered 2 excursion times, 7:00am or 8:45am, thankfully we got the 8:45 slot.
The boat ride over was nice, it was big with inside and outside seats.
There were a lot of people, but we really enjoyed it a lot.
If you are willing to wake up early, you will have less crowds, if you rather have more time for breakfast and getting ready do the later departure.
I would do this excursion again in a heartbeat, if we ever go back to Tortola.
Bring water and sunscreen. When you get to the The Baths area (the 2nd beach) there is a little place to get food and drinks.

Have fun!

thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. I think we will stick with Disney. don't need the stress of anything going wrong on a short day.

I am very interested in the See Antigua by Sea excursion. The description given by Disney seems like it has one snorkel spot. But you went to two. How long did you stay at each? Was most of trip spent on the boat cruising around or in the water? Thanks so much.

I am very interested in the See Antigua by Sea excursion. The description given by Disney seems like it has one snorkel spot. But you went to two. How long did you stay at each? Was most of trip spent on the boat cruising around or in the water? Thanks so much.

The first one was long, thats where the served lunch and drinks. People were snorkeling there. maybe there 2 hours or so if I remember correctly.
The second one was a quick stop for a swim. Thats where the vendors were selling things. They were not pushy at all.
We were there 30-45 minutes.
The boat ride is longer than the beach time, but in spite of the rough first part ride, its very enjoyable. It takes you all around the Island.

I've got a question about the See Antigua by Sea excursion too! The description mentions that you cruise to Nelson's Dockyards - do you actually get out of the boat and walk around and see it, or are you just viewing from the boat? Thanks!

I've got a question about the See Antigua by Sea excursion too! The description mentions that you cruise to Nelson's Dockyards - do you actually get out of the boat and walk around and see it, or are you just viewing from the boat? Thanks!

Its just a sail by........

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter