Our May 5, 2022 WOC Dessert-less Dessert Party

kerreyn

DIS Veteran
We had tickets to the May 5, 2022 WoC Dessert Party at 10:15pm . We arrived at the indicated time and location to check in for the Dessert Party and were advised that we could go to the party location no earlier than 9:40pm to be seated at our pre-selected table.

At 9:40pm we lined up with the other guests to be seated for the dessert party and were seated by approximately 9:55pm.

Once we were seated, a server came to our table and asked what we would like to drink, and my husband and I both ordered peppermint tea. When the tea arrived, it was just barely luke warm, but we didn't say anything to the server, and just drank it.

Approximately 10 minutes passed, and we noticed the other guests seated around us had been served their plates of desserts, however we had not. A server was passing by our table, so we stopped them and asked when we would be served our desserts. The server assured us the desserts would be served "shortly” and offered us another cup of tea. We accepted the tea (also ordered peppermint tea again), but a different type of tea was served, and neither my husband nor I could discern what type of tea it was. It wasn't bad per se, but it was not the peppermint tea we ordered. Regardless, we drank it.

Just before the World of Color show was to start, we stopped another server that was passing our table, and inquired where our desserts were. The gentleman assured us the desserts were coming, but we might end up getting served during the show, which was fine with us. He actually said "I guarantee you will receive your desserts shortly", to which I replied "They must be some pretty special desserts if we've had to wait this long for them". He gave a little chuckle and left our table.

We ended up watching the World of Color show in its entirety, without being served our desserts. Once the show was over, we waited at our table for about 5 minutes, and had to stop yet another cast member and inquire about the missing desserts. We were told that some guests did not receive their desserts, and "management" would be coming to speak with us.

About another 5 minutes after that, we saw three cast members standing and talking to each other in front of an empty table (the guests had since left). They finished talking, and two of them were walking past our table, and I stopped them and asked if they were "management" for the dessert party. A cast member by the name of Lissette(sp) indicated that they indeed were "management".

I questioned them as to what had happened to our desserts. Lissette indicated there was an accident with a cart of the desserts, and they were not able to serve several of guests had "hoped" to serve. I advised Lissette that these desserts were preordered AND prepaid for by the guests, and "hoping" we would be served our desserts was preposterous and inappropriate. Considering we were in the middle of Disney California Adventure, I was surprise and somewhat shocked to learn that they had absolutely NO back up plan in the event that something like this could happen. There were restaurants all around us, with plenty of desserts, yet nothing was offered. By this time, several other guests, some who weren't served their food and some who were, were expressing their displeasure with how this was handled.

We were offered a shoulder shrug from Lissette, and our money back. To the date of this post(May 10, 2022), we have still not received our money back. I've sent an email to Disney Resorts Guest Services to have this resolved.

That sounds horrible! We went late April and our WOC dessert party showing was super disorganized, but at least we got the dessert plate. Sorry this happened and hope you get a resolution soon!

Wow, that is very bad show indeed. I sure hope at the very least they make good on the promise to refund you.

Thanks. I sent the email to Disney about 30 mins ago, so obviously no response yet. There was also another issue at the hotel (Disneyland Hotel), that involved my husband getting hurt - it wasn't a good stay this time... Next time we need a Disney 'fix', it'll be WDW.

That's terrible! I'm so sorry that happened, and especially sorry to hear that they didn't help you resolve the issue that night. There's no reason they couldn't have either offered some kind of replacement dessert or at the very least told you in the beginning the desserts would not arrive.

I hope your husband is ok after his injury at DLH.

If you don't hear back in the next day or so maybe try calling. Often you'll get better results actually talking to someone. But you shouldn't have to deal with this at all, it's all on them.

I’m sorry. That’s very frustrating. I also noticed a shrug of the shoulder type attitude this trip. Nobody seems to know what to do or who to go to. Covid has really decreased their level customer service / magic.
First to the OP, I’m so sorry that happened to you! Obviously this was unforeseen circumstances but the customer service (or lack thereof) is just so unacceptable, ESPECIALLY for Disney.

I just wanted to respond to the comment above because since Disney reopened “something” has been missing and I haven’t been able to put my finger on it but this is it. The CMs are so undertrained and some just don’t seem to care or have a level of training that you would expect from Disney to handle questions and situations not only like this, but more basic things.

I wonder how long it will really take to get back to “normal” or will Disney ever go back to pre-Covid standards. It’s so sad because Disney was always the gold standard (for me). Not to say there are not standout CMs because there absolutely are (and when I get one I always send in a email to acknowledge them), but so many more are just severely lacking.

Wow...just...wow. The courtesy of your hall has been somewhat lessened of late, Disney! The kind of money they charge for that Dessert Party...and then the gall to treat you that way. In the past, someone would have made it right somehow then and there. They would have been empowered to do so, or they would have gotten someone who was. Now this? Every story like this that I hear just makes me more and more sad and makes me want to go back less and less.

Yeah, the good feelings are quickly leaving with regard to the level of service at DLR. In the past they've always been quick to get back to me when I've sent an email to GS about a concern.

But I submitted guest feedback about the rope drop commercial filming debacle 3 weeks ago, and other than the "we got your email and our response might be delayed due to Covid and questions about our phased reopening" auto response, I have heard not a peep.

Disney knows that sometimes we just want to know we've been heard when we bring up concerns (I think it was the old Disney Management seminar that taught this first!), but I am beginning to wonder if my concerns went straight to the round file.

They are quickly becoming just another theme park, and I hate it. I agree that there are standout CMs and I go out of my way to send compliments for them to GS. But the overall feeling is that management just doesn't care about the guests anymore, and we are quickly becoming mere customers instead. I hope that they know that they can only rest on their laurels for so long before we get fed up and stop coming.

Please let us know how this turns out - I truly hope that they make this right somehow beyond just a refund.

I hate this for you. You know, stuff happens all the time, hiccups arise, circumstances that couldn’t have been anticipated, etc. But the no resolution, no apology approach is what really pisses me off in situations like this. And to add to that the premium money associated with this event. Absurd.

We had tickets to the May 5, 2022 WoC Dessert Party at 10:15pm . We arrived at the indicated time and location to check in for the Dessert Party and were advised that we could go to the party location no earlier than 9:40pm to be seated at our pre-selected table.

At 9:40pm we lined up with the other guests to be seated for the dessert party and were seated by approximately 9:55pm.

Once we were seated, a server came to our table and asked what we would like to drink, and my husband and I both ordered peppermint tea. When the tea arrived, it was just barely luke warm, but we didn't say anything to the server, and just drank it.

Approximately 10 minutes passed, and we noticed the other guests seated around us had been served their plates of desserts, however we had not. A server was passing by our table, so we stopped them and asked when we would be served our desserts. The server assured us the desserts would be served "shortly” and offered us another cup of tea. We accepted the tea (also ordered peppermint tea again), but a different type of tea was served, and neither my husband nor I could discern what type of tea it was. It wasn't bad per se, but it was not the peppermint tea we ordered. Regardless, we drank it.

Just before the World of Color show was to start, we stopped another server that was passing our table, and inquired where our desserts were. The gentleman assured us the desserts were coming, but we might end up getting served during the show, which was fine with us. He actually said "I guarantee you will receive your desserts shortly", to which I replied "They must be some pretty special desserts if we've had to wait this long for them". He gave a little chuckle and left our table.

We ended up watching the World of Color show in its entirety, without being served our desserts. Once the show was over, we waited at our table for about 5 minutes, and had to stop yet another cast member and inquire about the missing desserts. We were told that some guests did not receive their desserts, and "management" would be coming to speak with us.

About another 5 minutes after that, we saw three cast members standing and talking to each other in front of an empty table (the guests had since left). They finished talking, and two of them were walking past our table, and I stopped them and asked if they were "management" for the dessert party. A cast member by the name of Lissette(sp) indicated that they indeed were "management".

I questioned them as to what had happened to our desserts. Lissette indicated there was an accident with a cart of the desserts, and they were not able to serve several of guests had "hoped" to serve. I advised Lissette that these desserts were preordered AND prepaid for by the guests, and "hoping" we would be served our desserts was preposterous and inappropriate. Considering we were in the middle of Disney California Adventure, I was surprise and somewhat shocked to learn that they had absolutely NO back up plan in the event that something like this could happen. There were restaurants all around us, with plenty of desserts, yet nothing was offered. By this time, several other guests, some who weren't served their food and some who were, were expressing their displeasure with how this was handled.

We were offered a shoulder shrug from Lissette, and our money back. To the date of this post(May 10, 2022), we have still not received our money back. I've sent an email to Disney Resorts Guest Services to have this resolved.
How did they not tell y’all this during the event? Amazingly inept service.

I hate this for you. You know, stuff happens all the time, hiccups arise, circumstances that couldn’t have been anticipated, etc. But the no resolution, no apology approach is what really pisses me off in situations like this. And to add to that the premium money associated with this event. Absurd.

Yeah, I mean things happen, but the absolutely horrid response is the real problem. A refund is the MINUMUM they should be offering! They should have notified affected guests right away, apologized, and made arrangements for appropriate compesnsation immediately. There is no excuse!

Last edited:
I always say, I don't care if you try your best and make a mistake, as long as you fix it. I make mistakes on a daily/hourly basis, nobody is perfect and I'm sure the person who dumped the cart of desserts feels terribly. I'm sure had management come over and told you what happened, and said "hey we're going to refund you and here's dinner tomorrow night on us" to the few people that were affected it would have gone a long way. For the amount they make on those special events it's a drop in the bucket.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter