Our First Cruise

hooked on disney

Earning My Ears
We are going in Jan 06 with another couple....no kids. We are celebrating our 10th and 18th anniversaries while we are there. We have never been on a cruise of any kind before. :cool1: Any recomendations as to what to see and do. My dh is a non swimmer. Is there any shows that are a must see? I know we want to go to Palo's. Not sure what to do on the islands though?? We are on the Eastern on the Magic.
I feel like a kid, :Pinkbounc we just booked the other day and I can't tear myself away from this site. My friend does not have a computer yet so I've been making a list of things I've found here. It is 17 pages already and now I'm beginning to confuse myself. :confused3 My dh thinks I'm crazy. :crazy: My gd is 1 and I can hardly wait until I can take her to experience the magic of Disney. It will be like starting over again!!
Any advise is appreciated....Thanks for all the tips they are great.

Sorry this is so long, but just one more question....Will we be out of place since it does seem to be for children. We are close to our 50's. :wave2:
Dianne

Well, we're going on the Magic in December for our very first cruise too. And yes, this is the place to get all your answers. I'm impressing the hell out of my mother-in-law who is a veteran cruiser.

We are in our mid-40s, my in-laws are in their early 70s. No kids along with us. I don't think we're going to feel out of place at all. The four of us have been to Disney World several times together and the lack of kids is not a problem. Well, there will be one 43 year old kid there (me).

Look over the past Navigators and you'll see there's a ton of adult things to do. And family things. There are lots of adult only places as well. And a whole beach at Castaway Cay. If you think about it, adults only groups get lots more things to do since we can do all the family things AND all the adult only things.

Once I experience the cruise, I will post my observations from a first time cruiser. Might help you for your cruise.

hooked on disney said:
We are going in Jan 06 with another couple....no kids. We are celebrating our 10th and 18th anniversaries while we are there. We have never been on a cruise of any kind before. :cool1: Any recomendations as to what to see and do. My dh is a non swimmer. Is there any shows that are a must see? I know we want to go to Palo's. Not sure what to do on the islands though?? We are on the Eastern on the Magic.
I feel like a kid, :Pinkbounc we just booked the other day and I can't tear myself away from this site. My friend does not have a computer yet so I've been making a list of things I've found here. It is 17 pages already and now I'm beginning to confuse myself. :confused3 My dh thinks I'm crazy. :crazy: My gd is 1 and I can hardly wait until I can take her to experience the magic of Disney. It will be like starting over again!!
Any advise is appreciated....Thanks for all the tips they are great.

Sorry this is so long, but just one more question....Will we be out of place since it does seem to be for children. We are close to our 50's. :wave2:
Dianne

I sent you a pm.

There's all kinds of stuff to do on the Magic. Oh my I am jealous you are going without any kids. We have been on a 3 day Wonder in Oct 2003 and a 7 day eastern Magic last October. There was so much we wanted to do, but we had our children and could only pick and chose a few of those things. We are going on the Wonder on September 1 without the kids but it is only a 3 day trip and they do not offer near as much as the 7 day Magic does. LOL Of course it is a little hard to offer it all in 3 days.

We enjoyed the wine tasting alot. DH was just getting into wines and he really had a good time. As you said Palo's is a must. I would shot for going to Palo's for Brunch and Dinner. If you can arrange it you can also go to High Tea. You can make your ressies's 75 days out if paid in full. But you know what I think, if I was you guys I would add the REAS package. If they are still offering it in 2006. If you have this package and you are paid in full I have heard you can make ressies 105 days out. That would help you out a lot. I have also read that several "new" cruisers missed out on making on-line ressies because they could not make them until 75 days out. Now I will add DCL is suppose to hold a certain amount back for those who do not have computer access. But in the REAS package you get a gift basket that includes, a picture frame, chocolates (not sure if they are goo or not), a bottle of champane and a few other things. In this basket your special menu for your champagne breakfast is include. You get the PS Palo's sitting for dinner, but you can make ressies for the other two with this option. You get a well being couples massages and a romantic turndown service. The price is $339. They have salsa dancing lessons and it seems like one other type of dance lessons. DCL had martini tastings and tequilla tastings. Quiet Cove is really nice. For some unknown reason we like the bar there better than the other pool bars. Oh my there is so much to do. I can only touch on a few.

Read my PM and look at what I sent you. This will help you out.

I am so new to computers I'm not sure how to pm. But I will write you this way instead. thank you for the info. We are so excited. We have been to Disney World many times and loved it. I think I know the parks by heart. But this is a totally new experience. I will look into the (I forget what you called it) the champagne breakfast thing.

hooked on disney said:
I am so new to computers I'm not sure how to pm. But I will write you this way instead. thank you for the info. We are so excited. We have been to Disney World many times and loved it. I think I know the parks by heart. But this is a totally new experience. I will look into the (I forget what you called it) the champagne breakfast thing.
PM'ing here on the DIS is easy - just like posting a thread or adding to a thread. Up at the top right of the page is a "box" that says:
Welcome, yourname
You last visited: someday at sometime
Private Messages: xx Unread, Total xx.

all you need to do is click on the Private Messages link and it will take you to your Private Inbox. From there you can compose messages that go to only the user names that you specify. You can read messages in your inbox from here too. You'll have to figure out the rest of the navigation of the PM system on your own, because I'm not that familiar with it too.

Hi there,

The one thing both my Daughter (16 & 18 years) and my Wife and I do on every cruise we go on is to see "Disney Dreams" twice. Both the early and the late one. It is by far the very best live show Disney has every done.

There is always a meal to be found somewhere on thie ship so don't worry about missing dinner.

Don.

DH and I are 55 and 60 years old. We have cruised Disney without kids 3 times and with kids (DGKs) 3 times over the past 6 years. You will not feel out of place without kids. Disney is not just for kids and families, it is for anyone who is a kid at heart! ::MickeyMo ::MinnieMo We love the shows Disney Dreams and Golden Mickeys. We also love Hercules, but that has been replaced with a new show that we are anxious to see. We also enjoy the extra shows on the 7 day. Ventriliquists, comedians, etc. I agree that you should try the REAS (Romantic Escape at Sea) package. Especially since you are celebrating anniversaries. :lovestruc We booked that last trip (no kid 10 day cruise) and really enjoyed it. We also love Cove Cafe and brought our SkipBo cards and spent some time there on sea day afternoons playing. Very relaxing! We were surprised at how many couples walked by and said "wow, we should have brought our SkipBo cards!"

hooked on disney said:

Did you figure out how to read my pm? Did you get the website I sent you? If not let me know and I will email it to you.

MrsMork said:
SkipBo cards!"

Never played this game. I have seen the cards. Can two people play? Or is it one of those games that is just not fun with out more than 2. I might have to buy a deck. I love to play cards.

Jsme said:
Never played this game. I have seen the cards. Can two people play? Or is it one of those games that is just not fun with out more than 2. I might have to buy a deck. I love to play cards.
It's more fun playing with an even number of people (partners). Well two is even, but you're NOT partners then. It's a fun game with 3 or 5 too (everyone for themself).

If you have played "Spite and Malice" - you've played Skip Bo - it's the same game.

We play with just the two of us alot. Cove Cafe watching the sea roll by with a good cup of java and a game with DH is now my happy place. I go there often when things are stressful at work.

We went last year with my DH, mom, aunt and youngest "kid". However since she had just finished her first contract working on the Magic I guess she really doesn't qualify as a kid. The ages were 56, 59, 83, 81 and 25. I think we all had a ball. In my mind 50 something is a great age to go to DCL. You're old enough to appreciate stuff and young enough to do it.

DS is getting married this September so we're not cruising this year but we can't wait to go back - just the two of us. There's so much we didn't have time to do on our Eastern.

Must see is St. John. Go on some kind of island excursion. It is georgeous even if you just do the island tour with no "water" activities. On Castaway Cay, the adult beach is shallow for quite a ways out so even a non swimmer can enjoy the water if he wants.

You will have a blast. Enjoy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter