Our dogs got seriously ill while staying at Portofino

unfreshdiva1

DIS Veteran
Spent last Monday - Friday at the Portofino. We always stay in a pet friendly room as we bring our two dogs. Tuesday am both dogs started getting ill and could not keep food down. Progressively got worse throughout the week including diarrhea. We took both dogs to vet when we got home on Friday (we are only 2 hours away via car) and spent $900 on all kinds of tests. Vet could not find anything (rushed blood work as well and everything looked normal). Saturday our larger dog seemed worse so we rushed him back to vet. $700 later still no root cause. Both dogs are still not back to normal but starting to be able to keep food down. My question is if anyone else has had issues with their dogs getting sick after staying in a pet friendly room. We have stayed at the Portofino many times over the last 5 years always taking our two dogs and have not had an issue. My spouse is thinking dogs possibly caught a virus from last dogs that had stayed in the room. I'm not so sure but wanted to ask group. Thanks!

You could probably contact the hotel and see if anything was sprayed in the room. You'd think that the stuff they used would have to be non-toxic but there are lots of things that bother dogs that don't bother people, like xylitol, many essential oils, etc., that may have been okayed for hotel use without the consideration of pets being in the room.

Since they started getting sick Tuesday, it could easily be something they came in contact with on the weekend or early Monday before you got to the hotel.

To me, Tuesday morning seems pretty quick to be displaying symptoms from a virus that they would have come in contact with the night before, but I'm not a vet.

I'm always nervous when we have to stay in a hotel with our pets that someone will have dropped some meds or something that didn't get vacuumed up and the dog eats it.

Last edited:
We've not stayed at PBR with our pet, but we have stayed at RPR (which I would assume uses the same procedures). We have had no problems with our dog during any of our stays.

When you change a dog’s environment and they feel stressed (kennels/new house/hotel etc., they can get a condition called bloat. It is very painful and can cause death.

Thanks everyone. Dogs are a bit better today but still not 100%. Still no word from vet on what caused/causing issues. We have not had this issue before and dogs used to staying at Portofino with no issues.

You'd think the fact that both of them got sick would make it easier to figure out. New dog food, treats, shampoo...anything new that you guys have used? Could they have licked sunscreen, essential oils, drink out of the toilet? Could they both have had a drink from a contaminated puddle? So many possibilities.

You'd think the fact that both of them got sick would make it easier to figure out. New dog food, treats, shampoo...anything new that you guys have used? Could they have licked sunscreen, essential oils, drink out of the toilet? Could they both have had a drink from a contaminated puddle? So many possibilities.
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe the cleaning staff cleaned up a spill from the previous occupant and didn't get all the chemicals cleaned up? Something they got into on the car ride to the hotel?

We have stayed at the Portofino many times over the last 5 years always taking our two dogs and have not had an issue. My spouse is thinking dogs possibly caught a virus from last dogs that had stayed in the room. I'm not so sure but wanted to ask group. Thanks!
Poor babies, feeling any better now?

not sure anyone here would be able to shed light on this. Perhaps the vet tests will be helpful. Assume they checked for possible exposure to antifreeze. Had it happen with one of my past pets. Vet diagnosed in time, phew. came thru it well, interestingly, vodka was used an antidote.

Can’t say I’ve seen any posts on this subject in the past. Doesn’t mean the situation is unusual though.

Good luck

You could probably contact the hotel and see if anything was sprayed in the room. You'd think that the stuff they used would have to be non-toxic but there are lots of things that bother dogs that don't bother people, like xylitol, many essential oils, etc., that may have been okayed for hotel use without the consideration of pets being in the room.

Since they started getting sick Tuesday, it could easily be something they came in contact with on the weekend or early Monday before you got to the hotel.

To me, Tuesday morning seems pretty quick to be displaying symptoms from a virus that they would have come in contact with the night before, but I'm not a vet.

I'm always nervous when we have to stay in a hotel with our pets that someone will have dropped some meds or something that didn't get vacuumed up and the dog eats it.
That happened to me once, found pill in corner of bathroom floor, not a Universal hotel.

Thanks everyone. Dogs are a bit better today but still not 100%. Still no word from vet on what caused/causing issues. We have not had this issue before and dogs used to staying at Portofino with no issues.
Glad to hear there’s some improvement.

Thanks everyone - 3 weeks later and dogs are almost 100% (and $2K in vet bills that did not show anything wrong). I really don't want to think it was anything at hotel as we have never had issue before but there is no other reason we can think of. Want to go back for our annual Christmas week trip (want to go 12/20-12/24) but a bit leary at the moment (and can't see to find any of the three top hotels with rates for christmas yet).

Did your vet test for giardia? It sounds like the symptoms of it which usually comes from contaminated water or sharing water bowls. It's basically doggy gastroenteritis caused by an amoeba.

Thanks everyone - 3 weeks later and dogs are almost 100% (and $2K in vet bills that did not show anything wrong). I really don't want to think it was anything at hotel as we have never had issue before but there is no other reason we can think of. Want to go back for our annual Christmas week trip (want to go 12/20-12/24) but a bit leary at the moment (and can't see to find any of the three top hotels with rates for christmas yet).
I’m glad your dogs have improved!
When our pets hurt, we hurt ..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter