Our Disney Military Homecoming Surprise!

surfergirl602

<font color=deeppink>Well you're one step ahead of
I know there are many of you who have already seen this, but I finally have the time to get everything in one place. Shortly after our homecoming we moved, and we finally have the internet and computer etc. unpacked. I still have some pictures to upload to the facebook album, and I just this week got around to ordering our photopass cd, but things are coming together.

On December 7th, 2012 my husband surprised the kiddos and I at the Art of Animation resort upon his return from deployment. I knew he was coming - the kids did not - but I had no idea Disney was going to come together like this and completely surprise us like they did. Over 300 cast members and staff got together to learn and do this dance. It was truly magical, and will be something we talk about and remember for the rest of our lives.

Here is the video that Disney took for us: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDNtTDqfTlY

and here is a video that a very awesome diser took and shared. It has almost 30 thousand views!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yreB-K6mM0

Here is the photo album from our trip, and as soon as the photopass pictures come in, I will be updating it.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4993902846447.2195565.1265941286&type=3

Were you there? I'd love to see any pictures you may have, and hear what your reaction was. I, for one, was blown away!:wizard:

A bit of the story...

My kids thought we were flying to Georgia to go to Daddy's welcome home ceremony. We flew out of Boston and took a direct flight to Orlando. Well.... once we were through security, "Daddy called" to say his flight had been cancelled, and he didn't know if he was going to be able to make it to Georgia. We were sitting at our gate, which amazingly... the next flight was actually going to Georgia... when the kids got the news. They were so upset. So, I went over to the gate booth and told the lovely workers what was going on. They were on board for helping me out... one lady asked the kids if they would like to go to Orlando instead, since that was the next flight after the one to Georgia... and she was able to "change our tickets" for us. Jackpot!

I told the kids I would find a hotel to stay at for a few days... maybe we could stay on disney property and go to the pool and downtown disney while we waited for word on Daddy's flight. Once we landed and took the magical express, we arrive at the Art of Animation resort. Carl, the amazing guy who put this entire thing together... was there waiting for us. He got us checked in right away and told the kids our room wasn't ready yet, and asked them if we'd like to watch a dance they'd been practicing while we waited for the room to be readied.

Of course, the kids were super excited to see a disney dance. They had no idea they would be seeing their Daddy. I knew of this plan... but I was told AoA could probably get about ten people to do the dance. When the hundreds of people started filling in the lobby, I was so shocked. And overwhelmed. I couldn't believe this was happening.

The dance was so cute and entertaining and it sucked the kids right in. They had no idea their daddy was hiding behind a picture of Ariel. (I had seen his boot shuffling along the floor and almost lost it. He was THAT close....) Then... TA DA! they pulled the picture away and every single one of the kids were stunned. We all just sat there... too shocked to even get up. I wanted to jump up and just hug him and never let him go, but our son (who hadn't seen his dad since he was one) was a little unsure about the whole thing, so I stayed where I was.

The response and the hugs, and the tears... it was all worth it. It was truly magical, and such a blur, and overwhelmingly amazing.

What an awesome way to be welcomed home! Please give a big thanks to your DH and your family for sacrificing so much to protect our wonderful country!

How fantastic! Thank your husband for his service for our country!

You have a beautiful family!
:goodvibes

Wow!!!! I'm a blubbering mess! A beautiful moment for a beautiful family! Welcome home and thank you for your service! And a big. Thank you to mom and the kids for your sacrifices as well! I'm sure it wasn't easy to have dad so far from home.

Blessings to you all and thanks for sharing :)

Smiling thru tears at your video. What a beautiful family you have, what an amazing surprise Disney helped you pull off. Welcome home to your brave husband, and tell him many thanks for the job he does! Thank you so much for sharing this with the DIS!!!

How wonderful!!! I couldnt help but cry! Please tell him thank you for his service!

Wow, awesome video! Thank your husband for his service for our country! And thank you for sharing! :thumbsup2

You've got me blubbering again! Thanks for sharing your magical moment with all of us - so amazing

Gráinne

I love that story! Thank you for sharing a part of your family with us and thank you for your family's sacrifices in serving our country.

I've seen the videos before but they still make me cry. I love that you and your family had such a magical homecoming.

Homecoming videos always make me cry- and that one totally rocked it. Yeah Disney! Thank you to your husband and to all of you for manning the home front- tougher than most people realize.

Welcome home soldier! Beautiful.:sad:

Oh MY ! That was the BEST ! Welcome Home to your DH, and what a magical memory that your lovely family will have for the rest of their lives ! I've watched it twice and cried both times!

So great that the airport staff jumped right on board with your plan !

Well Done Disney CM's !

Thanks, everyone! You are right, this is why we love Disney. It is such an intricate part of our lives... we couldn't imagine a better place to become a whole family again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter