Our DCA plans: Reasonable?

KatieCharlotte

DIS Veteran
We will have two days at DCA this summer, when the parks open at 8 a.m. Unfortunately, to make the rest of our plans work, we will probably have to be at DCA on early entry days with no early entry access. We will arrive by 7:30 a.m. on the first day and probably 8 a.m. on the second day.

My second planning concern is accommodating my teen who can't do thrill rides, needs breaks and doesn't like crowds, and still needs to have fun, while still getting the rest of the us on the rides. He will be getting a DAS but that can only be used when he rides. A definite No for GotG, Soarin, and Screamin', and a maybe for RSR and GRR. No to anything that spins around.

Wednesday:
Get FP for RSR (can't put on DAS because he may decide not to ride).
Either ride TSMM or put it on the DAS (depending on the line).
Silly swings for my girls.
Jellyfish (I don't care that it's "lame") and King Triton (my little DD wants to ride the dolphin).
Ride TSMM if we haven't yet.
Ride Little Mermaid.
Get FP for Soarin' ASAP.
Use RSR FP; ride Mater's (or put on DAS if line has grown); no LRR because we don't like full spins.
Have early lunch; Redwood Creek Challenge. Hopefully ride Soarin with FP.
Get a FP for anything that has a 5-8 p.m. window (any guesses? Maybe GRR?)
Put RSR/TSMM/something else on DAS (son's choice)
---Back to Hojo to swim, eat fast food dinner, relax (any guess what time we'll leave?)
Leisurely return to DCA to use FP, DAS ride, maybe minor attractions without lines (Red Car Trolley?), and Carsland at dusk with a snack from Crazy Cone.

Sunday:
Get FP for GotG.
Enjoy small rides in Bugs Land.
Use GotG FP.
Collect another FP as soon as possible (what will still have late morning/early afternoon FP?)
Monster's Inc. Use DAS if there's 20 min+ line.
Animation Academy/Turtle Talk
Early lunch.
Catch GotG dance party, super hero appearances, use FP. DAS re-ride of son's choice.
--Back to Hojo to swim, relax, eat pizza.
Leisurely return to DCA. Use any FP/DAS ride but mostly WOC dessert party. What time does Redwood Creek close?

TSMM spins around a bunch while it gets you into position. The actual games are just looking at a screen, but if he is super sensitive to any sort of spinning, he may want to avoid that. Soarin I wouldn't classify as a thrill ride. It is pretty tame and gives great visuals; I went with a 4-yr old who had just met the height req't and she loved loved it!

Jellyfish-I actually don't hate. It's relaxing and gives a nice view.

We did "Animation Academy" and LOVED it, surprised at how each member of my family liked it! Each hour/ or session is a different character, they have a board posting their sched inside the building. Also we love Monsters Inc, Mermaid, Soarin, the Pixar Parade if it's running, World of Color (get your FP), Bug Life show (if it's running), and getting a sweet treat and people watching on a bench in the shade. These are some "less chaotic" type activities. I'm also probable in the minority, but wasn't a huge fan of the "Frozen Show". It was OK, but loved Aladdin better. That is also and option if you want. Food: Pacific Warf Café, love the Pesto turkey sandwich and Flo's café: love their Turkey and roast beef sandwich. Treats: LOVE PICKLE POPCORN at Cozy Cone. Now just rambling and getting excited for you and your family!! Have a great time!!

TSMM spins around a bunch while it gets you into position. The actual games are just looking at a screen, but if he is super sensitive to any sort of spinning, he may want to avoid that. Soarin I wouldn't classify as a thrill ride. It is pretty tame and gives great visuals; I went with a 4-yr old who had just met the height req't and she loved loved it!

Jellyfish-I actually don't hate. It's relaxing and gives a nice view.

Part of his issue with spinning is physical, but anxiety makes it worse. He has fond memories of TSMM at WDW. He did hate Men in Black at Universal because the spinning was too fast, but I'm hopeful that he will enjoy TSMM. Is it basically the same as the DHS version? Soarin is the opposite. He did not like it at Epcot years ago and does not want to repeat the experience, even though I think he'd be fine now. I'm excited about seeing the new version.

We did "Animation Academy" and LOVED it, surprised at how each member of my family liked it! Each hour/ or session is a different character, they have a board posting their sched inside the building. Also we love Monsters Inc, Mermaid, Soarin, the Pixar Parade if it's running, World of Color (get your FP), Bug Life show (if it's running), and getting a sweet treat and people watching on a bench in the shade. These are some "less chaotic" type activities. I'm also probable in the minority, but wasn't a huge fan of the "Frozen Show". It was OK, but loved Aladdin better. That is also and option if you want. Food: Pacific Warf Café, love the Pesto turkey sandwich and Flo's café: love their Turkey and roast beef sandwich. Treats: LOVE PICKLE POPCORN at Cozy Cone. Now just rambling and getting excited for you and your family!! Have a great time!!

I appreciate all feedback. It helps me get excited for our trip and less nervous about the challenges. We all have Frozen burn out, even my youngest, so we have mutually decided to skip it. Pacific Wharf is my plan for one lunch. It looks like both that area and Paradise Pier have several food options, so we can all get something we like. When we get Cozy Cone snacks I am actually hoping to try pickle popcorn, even though my kids think that's weird.

I think your plan looks pretty good. Just wanted to add that my DDs, who were 12 and 16 on our last trip, always do Jumpin' Jellyfish. They think it's funny. :)

And I also get whatever weird popcorn of the day is at Cozy Cone!

If spinning is a no then you' may want to watch a POV video of GRR to be sure on that one. As you go down the big drop the rafts sometimes go into a really fast spin. Probably a good 2-3 fast rotations before you get to the bottom. Other times you'll just go down the drop with no spinning. It may just depend on how your raft bumps the railing at the top as it does down but we pretty surprised at the amount of spins we did the last 2 times we rode in November.

Note that Mater's, while not a full, 360-degree spin, can have a pretty whippy motion that feels spinny. You may want to watch it for a bit before deciding to ride.

If spinning is a no then you' may want to watch a POV video of GRR to be sure on that one. As you go down the big drop the rafts sometimes go into a really fast spin. Probably a good 2-3 fast rotations before you get to the bottom. Other times you'll just go down the drop with no spinning. It may just depend on how your raft bumps the railing at the top as it does down but we pretty surprised at the amount of spins we did the last 2 times we rode in November.

That's good to know. I don't want to talk him into something that he won't enjoy. I've made that mistake before. It sounds like GRR is more intense and spinny than the Bilge Rats ride at Universal.

I've actually shown him a video of Mater's and compared it to a video of a whip ride that we all enjoyed a few years ago. He said that ride was a lot smaller than he remembered, which is not surprising since he's about twice as big as he was then. :rotfl:

Does anyone have any input on FP return times for a Sun and Wed in summer?
Have you downloaded the Disneyland app? It gives a fair idea of what fast passes as still available when. So, I'd hop on there at the times you think you'd be heading to get the FP. (For instance, look on the app at 9am on a Wednesday to see what times FPs are distributing for.) Check at those days/times a week before your trip, and it will be a good estimation. At least, that's what we do when we're planning a trip... or when we just need an extra dose of Disneyland fun.

GRR definitely spins. Most of the time when we've gone down the big hill, it has spun a number of times. Even if for some reason it doesn't spin, he could end up going down the big hill backwards. Would that be a problem? It also spins going through the "rapids," which could be disturbing to someone with motion issues.

Having said that, I normally avoid spinning rides like the plague, but love GRR.

Boardwalk pizza & pasta is the best qs restaurant in D.C.A imo. The wharf is all mediocre imo. I also like award wieners.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter