Our Awesome Yosemite & Monterey Bay Trip Report ~ 5/2009 ~ Lots of Pics! Completed!

Wendy

Your cruise pictures are great, but these are amazing, looks like you had a great time, did your dd have fun also?

Do you have any beautiful pictures of the Grand Canyon? I am trying to convince my husband that we should go to Arizona, but according to DD8 she is "cruise sick and needs to go on a cruise to get better" and does not want to go anywhere else, so I need some good ammunition.

Lisa

Hey Lisa, thanks for stopping by. I hope all is well with you.

We had an amazing trip and believe it or not DD had more fun in Yosemite and Monterey than she had on the cruise. Go figure! :confused3 She really enjoyed the waterfalls and looking for wildlife. We had so much fun that we're now planning a trip to Yellowstone next summer. ;)

Anyway, you would love coming out West and seeing the sights. As a matter of fact, I do have some pictures of the Grand Canyon.

PA120006.jpg

PA120025.jpg

PA120027.jpg

PA130039.jpg

The canyon is breathtaking and my pictures don't do it justice. But, if you're going to come all the way out this way, I highly recommend seeing more of Arizona, Yosemite, Monterey and possibly Disneyland too!

Unfortunately, today was our last day in California. We had a 4:20 PM flight home out of San Jose. My DH wanted to go see the Santa Cruz Boardwalk. I wasn’t too thrilled with this idea, but is was on the way. While I was doing research I stumbled across the Winchester Mystery House. I had heard about and seen this house on various Travel Channel and America’s Castle specials. What I didn’t realize was that it was only 4 minutes from the San Jose airport. Now this interested me. My DH wasn’t as keen.

We had breakfast, checked out, loaded the car and headed up the PCH 1 to Santa Cruz. While the boardwalk has free admission, we had to pay $10 to park. :eek:

P5300001.jpg

P5300004.jpg

The day was kind of gloomy and cool with the marine layer and we arrived before anything was really open. They were having a Beach Soccer tournament going on so there were a lot of kids running around in soccer outfits. We walked the entire boardwalk out to the beach near the pier when we spotted seals in the water and started hearing “Orf, orf, orfs”. :listen:

P1000978.jpg

After closer inspection we discovered there to be many California Sea Lions hanging out under the pier on platforms within the water.

P5300023.jpg

We walked to the pier and investigated. The seals were taking siestas on the platforms, some in huge piles with one on top of the other and if one moved or another seal came up on the platform and rocked the "boat" they all would put up a ruckus as if to say, "Hey, I'm trying to sleep here!"

P1000975.jpg

P5300037.jpg

P5300046.jpg

P5300047.jpg

We were also intrigued by the various sea creatures living on the pylons of the pier.

P5300049.jpg

I have to admit, watching the seals at this close range was more exciting than the Boardwalk and made the whole side trip worth it. It’s fun to see sea animals at the zoo or in aquariums, but it is something else to see them in their “natural” environment.

After we got our fill of Sea Lions, the Boardwalk opened and there were noticeably more people milling about.

P5300057.jpg

P5300058.jpg

However, we had our fill and were ready to move on. It was too early to go to the airport, so I pitched the Mystery House again. This time DH said ‘Why not?” :confused3

We arrived at the house just about 12:00 PM.

P5300062.jpg

The guided tours of the mansion last 65 minutes. Fortunately, the Winchester Mystery House mansion tours start every 15 minutes, so we got on the 12:45 tour which would get us through by 2:00 PM. While we waited for our tour to begin we grabbed some lunch at the very over priced food counter at the mansion. The food wasn’t bad, just expensive. The sodas were $4.00 alone. :scared:

The tour started out with a little history, which I won’t bore you with here, except to say that Mrs. Winchester had a lot of money and was a little eccentric. :upsidedow She was told by a medium to purchase a house and keep building on it to appease the spirits of all the people killed by the Winchester Rifle. So that, in a nutshell, is what she did, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for 30 some odd years. For those of you not familiar with the house, it is huge, with doors that open to walls, staircases that end at ceilings and cabinets and cupboards that are only deep enough to hold a piece of paper and that’s about it.

P5300068.jpg

P5300069.jpg

My DD loved it. My favorite part was all of the stained glass windows. Mrs. Winchester had them shipped in from Tiffany’s of New York and they were gorgeous. Mrs. Winchester was very superstitious and her favorite number was 13, so you see that motif a lot throughout the house.

P5300072.jpg

P5300101.jpg

We finished the tour, literally ran through the garden

P1000996.jpg

P1010004.jpg

P5300171.jpg

and left just in time to return our rental car and check in at the airport for our flight home. Thus, ending our "Awesome" trip to Central California.

Thanks for reading along. I hoped you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it. :)

Thanks for posting it - I really enjoyed reading it! I hadn't realized how much the DCA Paradise Pier area looks like the Santa Cruz Boardwalk until I saw the right side of that one picture (the last one before the Mystery House). Looks like California Screamin' and the Maliboomer! :-)

Wendy

Thanks for the pictures of the Grand Canyon, they are beautiful and we will have to make it out that way one of these days.

The girls have 1 more week of school then off for 2 months and they are looking forward to it.

Enjoy the rest of your summer as it sounds like you have been off for awhile all ready.

Lisa

Thanks for the report, really enjoyed reading it, your pic's are fab! Makes me go all excited about our 1st Californian trip next year.
We're starting in San Fran then driving south to LA over a 2 week holiday :cool1:

thanks for your great report

You're welcome. Thanks for reading!

Thanks for the report, really enjoyed reading it, your pic's are fab! Makes me go all excited about our 1st Californian trip next year.
We're starting in San Fran then driving south to LA over a 2 week holiday :cool1:

You're welcome and thanks for the kind words. :flower3: I hope you have a wonderful trip to California.

you captured our day at the aquairum too......:) so now that I am back I will say "ditto"

Wendy thanks for posting your awesome trip report! Your pictures of Yosimte are beautiful! I lovethe Monterey area too!

Wow, I haven't checked in a while and 1000 people have read my report! :goodvibes

Thanks to all who have read and I hope it helps with your trip planning.

you captured our day at the aquairum too......:) so now that I am back I will say "ditto"

I hope you had a fantastic time! :)

Wendy thanks for posting your awesome trip report! Your pictures of Yosimte are beautiful! I lovethe Monterey area too!

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed reading it.

Thanks for your report, it was great and your pictures are beautiful.

Can I ask, how long was the drive from Yosemite to Monterey?

Thanks!

You're welcome. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

We left from the village which is about 40 minutes from the West Entrance. Once we left the West entrance, it took about 4 hours to get to Monterey.

Thank you, great report. thanks for the pictures.

We are in the early planning stage for a 2011 trip. Yosemite is one of the many places we hope to visit, between La and San Fran, before our cruise to Alaska.

Just wanted to thank you for your awesome TR!

I can't believe how much you were able to fit in @ Yosemite. I haven't been there in years & haven't been back b/c I feel like Yosemite requires more time. Your TR inspires me to go there again even if it's just for a quick getaway.

Just wanted to thank you for your awesome TR!

I can't believe how much you were able to fit in @ Yosemite. I haven't been there in years & haven't been back b/c I feel like Yosemite requires more time. Your TR inspires me to go there again even if it's just for a quick getaway.

Thank you! :blush: If you can manage it, I would definintely recommend going back, even for a quick visit. :goodvibes

I enjoyed reading your report again. You captured a lot of detail about Yosemite, which is great, and since we went to Yosemite & Monterey over the summer, it was fun seeing the trip through your eyes. :)

Great report! Awesome pictures! We are planning a 3 day trip to Monterey soon (weather depending) so I found you report on the Aquarium very interesting. I haven't been there for about 20 years.

Thank you for this wonderful report. Our family make-up is similar to yours, except our well traveled DD is almost 7. We are planning a two week CA trip this summer and I had decided to skip Yosemite because I had heard that summer wasn't the best time to visit. After seeing your pictures I am considering re-working our itinerary! How was the weather at Yosemite?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter