Our 1st stay at OKW, long weekend, long post

BuzzandWoody

Driving with my Doom Buggy
We own at VWL and love it there. We booked about 3 weeks out, so I knew I couldn't be picky where they put us and besides that we didn't check in till about 10:30 pm on Thur. Got building 21 on Millers Rd.

We felt like we were settling for OKW.

Both dh and I LOVE it! Had 1 bed, it is huge. We will defintely be staying here again!

I really like the patio! Not like VWL where you are looking at your neighbor. These feel secluded and are very large. Full table and 4 chairs. Liked the access from master to the patio also.

Problems though. The room smelled fine when we checked in but the next day you could tell we were in a smoking room.
I called the front desk and they said yes it's a smoking room.

She then proceeded to tell me we could move tomorrow, Sat but there would be a $40 charge. The only request I made was non-smoking. It really isn't a big deal, we don't have health problems that would prohibit us from staying in this room, but suppose we did? I was a little appauled at that.

We had a handicap room also. No problem either.

When we stay again, I will book further out and request closer to HH, too long of a walk with 2 little ones.

I thought the busses were great. Dedicated busses for OKW.
So you knew who ever was on your bus was staying the same place. Felt like riding with your family, everyone seemed more friendly. Not to mention Bob's Bus of Terror! LOL

The bathroom, no access except master bedroom. Didn't like that at all!! Dh's brother was with us and he felt really uncomfortable going through our room as we slept. Not to mention he's not very quiet.

We will keep our Christmas time trips at VWL and try other resorts at other times of the year though.
OKW we'll be back!

I'm glad you had a good time at OKW. There was a design change at OKW and "newer" bldgs have access to the bathroom through the laundry room (I think it starts somewhere around bldg 30 and up).

To me, there's no comparison to OKW! The rooms are huge, the balcony huge, the grounds beautiful! I honestly can't seem myself staying in a "dvc" room at either BW or WL or for that mater BC - I would try and get just a regular room and get it as cheap as possible.

OKW is the greatest kept secret I think in the DVC. Well, maybe it's not that much of a secret! ;) JMHO

Yes, the design change for the bathroom starts in building #30 and higher. That is down in the Turtle Pond and South Point areas. The second bathroom entrance is through the utility room. This extra entrance definitely alleviates any problems you have regarding the privacy issue. If you want the extra entrance to the bathroom AND want to be near the HH, You should request one of the newest buildings numbered in the 60's. These are in the Miller's Road area. While I haven't actually stayed in these buildings, I have heard that they have elevators for the upper floors and I'm assuming there is the second bathroom entrance here too.

We travel with a group of 5 adults and get a 2 bedroom. DH and I in the master BR, friend and his girlfriend in the attached studio, single friend on the couch. The 2 requests I ALWAYS make are to have the bathroom with the 2 entrances, and if you are going to put me on the 2nd floor, I want one of the new buildings(in the 60's) because they do in fact have the elevator. There is nothing worse than schlepping luggage up 2 flights of stairs!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter