Other alternatives? Where are you going this summer or early fall?

Theta

DIS Veteran
Every ABD I was interested is full for my vacation time frame. I called Classic Journeys and their Iceland trips are full. I call a few other providers and same story.

I had Arizona/Utah booked but DH said no because of heat and the backups and crowds at National Parks.

Any suggestions?

We do not currently have any group travel booked. I'm going to Disneyland in early July with my folks, then my husband and I are headed to Hawaii in October with our next big trip to Ecuador and the Galapagos in January.

You could check into a private adventure with ABD or perhaps try Tauck or Backwoods? You could also try heading out with a non-ABD river cruise, still on AMA Waterways or with Viking. There may be less options every day but many people travel on them and love them.

Depending on your price point and comfort levels I highly recommend going on Safari... countries in Africa are eager to resume operations with many camps already open. The small groups in the vehicles are perfect for people who don't like crowds, or you can do what we did and just get your own driver.

You could check into a private adventure with ABD or perhaps try Tauck or Backwoods? You could also try heading out with a non-ABD river cruise, still on AMA Waterways or with Viking. There may be less options every day but many people travel on them and love them.
I'm just guessing here, but did you actually mean Backroads, not Backwoods?

Backroads actually has a page set up with a query for all their 2021 trips that currently have space and are available to book online:

https://www.backroads.com/trips-by-month?date-from=2021-06-01&date-to=2021-12-31

You can further refine the query. They do have a few August/September Iceland trips available to book.

Sayhello

Last edited:
Wildland Trekking is another good option. Most of their trips are camping, but they have some inn-to-inn trips.

We have winter in Yellowstone booked with Nat Geo, but I may end up cancelling because it is really expensive for what you get.

If Canada would open back up, I really want to go to Banff for Christmas

I tried to book a Wyoming ABD with zero luck. I was then able to piece our own Wyoming trip together and was lucky I found availability. I almost booked the Alaska ABD but there were too many itinerary adjustments.

Doing Classic Journeys to Puget Sound this summer - San Juan Island and Orcas Island. Wasn’t even on our radar, but recommended to us and looks really beautiful (and not too hot at all). We’ll see what Classic Journeys is like - not quite as all inclusive as ABD, and there have been a few planning hiccups so far.

We do an annual dude ranch trip. Best week ever. Most good ranches book out a year in advance but sometimes there are last minute openings.

Doing Classic Journeys to Puget Sound this summer - San Juan Island and Orcas Island. Wasn’t even on our radar, but recommended to us and looks really beautiful (and not too hot at all). We’ll see what Classic Journeys is like - not quite as all inclusive as ABD, and there have been a few planning hiccups so far.
I was looking at that trip. I'm doing Classic Journeys to Bryce/Zion & Albuquerque/Santa Fe in October.

What kind of hiccups have you encountered?

Sayhello

I was looking at that trip. I'm doing Classic Journeys to Bryce/Zion & Albuquerque/Santa Fe in October.

What kind of hiccups have you encountered?

Sayhello

The biggest one was that when we booked the trip the documentation stated that the trip ended in Seattle. However, the intinerary we received after final payment stated that the trip would end on Orcas Island and we would have to make our own arrangements to get to Seattle. It took a bit of effort to get in touch with them and have them agree that this was not what we had booked. They did book a flight for us back to Seattle, so all seems good now. The sense I get in looking at their trips is that their starting/ending points aren’t nearly as convenient as ABD. We still have to get to San Juan Island on our own to start the trip, but we had been expecting that and booked the ferry from Seattle.

Last edited:
The biggest one was that when we booked the trip the documentation stated that the trip ended in Seattle. However, the intinerary we received after final payment stated that the trip would end on Orcas Island and we would have to make our own arrangements to get to Seattle. It took a bit of effort to get in touch with them and have them agree that this was not what we had booked. They did book a flight for us back to Seattle, so all seems good now.
Yikes! That's a big difference! Glad you got it all worked out! I need to go double-check that my trip still ends in Albuquerque!

ETA: It does! :)

The sense I get in looking at their trips is that their starting/ending points are nearly as convenient as ABD. We still have to get to San Juan Island on our own to start the trip, but we had been expecting that and booked the ferry from Seattle.
Did you mean *are* or *aren't* nearly as convenient as ABD? As I've found that to be the biggest downside to Classic Journeys. The trip starts in the small town of St. George, early in the morning, at a hotel the trip does not stay at (and that has no availability for that night). So I have to get myself from the Las Vegas airport to St. George, spend the night at a different hotel, then get myself to the starting point of the trip. Not a huge deal (I'm just going to visit friends in Las Vegas before the trip) but not as easy as ABD. And the trip ends at the hotel in Albuquerque, so I'll have to get myself to the airport there. I've decided to spend a couple of extra days in Santa Fe afterwards, so I still need to get to the airport to rent a car to get to Santa Fe and back. I'm just kind of spoiled! :)

Sayhello

Last edited:
Yikes! That's a big difference! Glad you got it all worked out! I need to go double-check that my trip still ends in Albuquerque!

ETA: It does! :)

Did you mean *are* or *aren't* nearly as convenient as ABD? As I've found that to be the biggest downside to Classic Journeys. The trip starts in the small town of St. George, early in the morning, at a hotel the trip does not stay at (and that has no availability for that night). So I have to get myself from the Las Vegas airport to St. George, spend the night at a different hotel, then get myself to the starting point of the trip. Not a huge deal (I'm just going to visit friends in Las Vegas before the trip) but not as easy as ABD. And the trip ends at the hotel in Albuquerque, so I'll have to get myself to the airport there. I've decided to spend a couple of extra days in Santa Fe afterwards, so I still need to get to the airport to rent a car to get to Santa Fe and back. I'm just kind of spoiled! :)

Sayhello
“aren’t” Fixed it - thanks :-)

Every ABD I was interested is full for my vacation time frame. I called Classic Journeys and their Iceland trips are full. I call a few other providers and same story.

I had Arizona/Utah booked but DH said no because of heat and the backups and crowds at National Parks.

Any suggestions?
I don't know if they still have availability, but a company that we booked for late August called Mountain Based does trips to the Mighty 5 in Utah, as well as Yellowstone/Grand Tetons. We have not used them before, but they have received glowing reviews on Trip Advisor, and my communications with them so far indicate that they provide top-notch customer service. By late August, crowds and temps may be lower depending on the sites you want to visit. Good luck!

ETA: Our trip includes "glamping" at Undercanvas at Yellowstone, as well as hotel lodging at Jackson Hole for Grand Tetons. I am not a camper, but after checking out Undercanvas, I am all in for the "glamping" - full bathroom in "tent". Again - best of luck!

Last edited:
[[[ETA: Our trip includes "glamping" at Undercanvas at Yellowstone, as well as hotel lodging at Jackson Hole for Grand Titons. I am not a camper, but after checking out Undercanvas, I am all in for the "glamping" - full bathroom in "tent". Again - best of luck!]]]

We stayed at Under Canvas Yellowstone and Under Canvas Glacier last year. Loved them both. I am not a camper either, and my husband even less so, but this was relatively civilized. Plus they have smores you can make at night. Hope you enjoy!

I'm just guessing here, but did you actually mean Backroads, not Backwoods?

Backroads actually has a page set up with a query for all their 2021 trips that currently have space and are available to book online:

https://www.backroads.com/trips-by-month?date-from=2021-06-01&date-to=2021-12-31

You can further refine the query. They do have a few August/September Iceland trips available to book.

Sayhello

I did, thank you! We have not traveled with them but I'd read good things about them on this board. :)

We're going to Peru at the end of August. We're using private guides arranged by Aracari - a Peruvian company focused on more luxury travel. This was a trip that had been postponed from last Spring.

We've also got Aulani in the Fall. And we need to find a replacement for New Zealand in Christmas.

My husband and I are going to Tennessee this fall. My brother lives 30 miles West of Nashville, and we used to live there for years. It will be great to see family and the beautiful state of Tennessee in the fall. The colors in the hills and mountains are breathtaking. Can't wait.
We are planning a trip to DL for Spring next year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!