OT: When will the next Federal Election take place?

CR Resort Fan 4 Life

DIS Veteran
Since Canada is into it's 2nd straight Minority Parliament, when do you think the next Federal Election will take place? I want to guess middle of spring or late fall 2007 seeing as the Liberals still need to elect a leader & I don't see them going into an election without one, & I don't see them wanting to defeat the Conservatives on a confidence motion with out an elected leader, so they will stay in power. Although if the Conservatives are still in power in 2008 with no election the previous year, that would be a surprise since this is a Miniority Parliament. Another to point out & correct me if I am wrong isn't the next Ontario Provincial election in the fall of 2007? I just think voters in Ontario would not want 2 elections so close to each other, although this past year people in Nova Scotia voted in the Federal race back in January & just last month had their Provincial election, although the governing PC Party had just elected the new Premier & they were also in a Minority situation, so who knows. Anyway what do you all think?

I'm not sure when the current government will feel confident enough to call an election BUT I think it was a huge waste of our money to call the last one when most of us knew it would be another minority! What a poor excuse eh?

One thing to keep in mind is the goverment may "call" an election (ie ask the GG to announce one) or they may have to have an election if they lose a vote of confidence in the house of commons (ie a budget or similiar).

While they have to have an election within a time frame of 5 years there is no reason they cannot call one sooner if the ruling party feels they could win a majority.

timing of federal elections is not impacted by provincial requirements. (although the federal party in power would consider those if they have a choice in the matter).

Joe Clark had no choice but to call an election shortly after being elected when his party presented a budget without being sure they had the votes in the house of commons to allow it to pass thinking that Trudeau would just let it slide..whoops!!

Politics is a funny business.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter