OT Wedding gift for Shower and Reception?

I'm from GA and it's considered proper etiquette to give a wedding gift and a shower gift, if you're invited to any showers. I was also brought up that relatives do not give showers. Also, it's entirely possible to be invited to more than one shower for a couple. And theme showers are popular - stock the yard (lawn/outdoor stuff), stock the bar, lingerie, kitchen, etc. I've never heard of giving money for dances, and cash gifts for the wedding are definitely not the norm - gifts of linens, china, silver, crystal are. In fact, I think money figuring so prominently at such an occasion is poor manners.

And finally, gifts are always in proportion to what the giver wants to or can afford, nothing more.

We always do a household item for the shower, cash for a wedding gift.
I just went to two showers in a month for the same girl! So I did a gift for each. There were 100 people in attendance at one of the showers!

My daughter is getting married soon and will be moving across the country for her military spouses job. A family member recommended a "green back " shower but I thought it was VERY tacky to request cash or GC.

If someone should call and ask for a suggestion for her gift, then I'd make that suggestion, but otherwise, a gift is NOT an obligation or fundraiser!

If she can't take her gifts with her, we'll have them shipped or bring them when we come out to visit later in the year.

You are supposed to give a gift for both the shower and the wedding, unless you attend neither, then it's your discretion to send them a gift.

Yet another registry-type gift at the shower, check at the wedding here.

I'm in IN, and the norm (at least in my realm of existence) is a separate gift for the shower and the wedding. A shower gift would be in the range of $20-50, depending on relationship to the couple. A wedding gift would be in the range of $50-$150, again depending on the relationship to the couple. Gifts are taken to the wedding reception, and are opened by the couple during the reception.

The norm is that you don't get invited to a shower unless you are also getting invited to the wedding. Parents and siblings don't give showers, although it's still proper for more distant relatives to do so, so it would be acceptable for an aunt or cousin to host the event.

I'm in IN, and the norm (at least in my realm of existence) is a separate gift for the shower and the wedding. A shower gift would be in the range of $20-50, depending on relationship to the couple. A wedding gift would be in the range of $50-$150, again depending on the relationship to the couple. Gifts are taken to the wedding reception, and are opened by the couple during the reception.

The norm is that you don't get invited to a shower unless you are also getting invited to the wedding. Parents and siblings don't give showers, although it's still proper for more distant relatives to do so, so it would be acceptable for an aunt or cousin to host the event.

Just out of curiosity, are you from northern or southern Indiana? Like I said, we only received duplicate gifts from VERY close family members and I have never been to a reception where the couple opens the gifts. I am from South central Indiana.

I'm in NW PA and everyone I know buys a gift for shower and wedding (if they are invited to both).

Recently, I have noticed a trend which really bothers me for wedding and baby showers...having two to three showers. This seems excessive and what is more bothersome is when you are invited to two or more showers, you are still expected to bring a gift to both.

I personally cannot afford that, so I choose not to attend any showers beyond the first one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!