OT-Taxi Fare Question(from a small town girl)

tink20

DIS Veteran
My DH and I are going to New Orleans for the Sugar Bowl. I want to take a taxi to and from the SuperDome. I am trying to figure out how much money to bring with me. My hotel is 10 blocks from the SuperDome. The last time I rode in a taxi was many years ago. Do they take cash only or do they take debit/credit cards too?

As for the fare, I can't help you there, but assume its going to be a flat rate (usually around $4) and then cost per quarter mile, or idle time. You can do a search on New Orleans cab companies to get a sample of rates. But for a 10 block trip, I would figure around $10-$12 max (don't forget a tip!) Also, be careful around the stadiums becuase often they are required to drop you off someplace (usually outside the perimeter gates), and I've encountered 2 different stadiums where they can't just pick you up anywhere. You have to wait in a specific taxi line with everyone else and you get the next cab in line. Not fun!!! Some alternatives we have found elsewhere are bars that offer free busses to patrons, or hotels that have shuttles to games, and to avoid the taxi issue at games end, just walk to the closest store/hotel/resturant and call a cab to get you from there. ;)

Always bring cash for a cab, many (most) cabs have CC machines, but don't count on it. :)

Have a great time!

My DH and I are going to New Orleans for the Sugar Bowl. I want to take a taxi to and from the SuperDome. I am trying to figure out how much money to bring with me. My hotel is 10 blocks from the SuperDome. The last time I rode in a taxi was many years ago. Do they take cash only or do they take debit/credit cards too?

What area is your hotel? If it is in the French Quarter or down by the river - just walk it! You will see many people walking. I would suggest hopping over onto Poydras and walk away from the river to the dome.

Our hotel is the Sheraton on Canal St. I asked our hotel if they had a shuttle and she said No. She said the walk was about 15min. Which I would be okay with on the way there, but I am concerned about safety on the way back after the game. Maybe if alot of people are walking I would feel better. I guess I'll just wait and see. Thanks for your responses.

Our hotel is the Sheraton on Canal St. I asked our hotel if they had a shuttle and she said No. She said the walk was about 15min. Which I would be okay with on the way there, but I am concerned about safety on the way back after the game. Maybe if alot of people are walking I would feel better. I guess I'll just wait and see. Thanks for your responses.

I often walk up Poydras (which runs parallel to Canal) and am not afraid. But I remember one year we walked up Canal and cut across to Poydras (which is the general area you would be in). A taxi pulled over and rolled his window down saying, "Get in! Do you have any idea where you are! This is so not safe." I didn't know whether to be more afraid of where we were or the way the taxi driver was acting! (I believe that was Rampart street, fyi.)

Regardless, have a good time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter