OT Social Security Card

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by GOOFY4DONALD, Dec 15, 2008.


    GOOFY4DONALD DH finished his plate at 50's Prime Time. They wer

    Aug 22, 2006
    I know I shouldn't post here but you guys are such a wealth of knowledge and you answer so quickly. I need to take a test for a PT job this Friday. I need 2 forms of I.D. One a DL and the other a SS card. Well I need a replacement as mine is MIA. I am going to file for a replacement tomorrow and I know it can take a while for it to arrive. My question is...Does anyone know if they can give you something to show that you have a SS card and you applied for a replacement. I would really hate to not be able to take this test. The job is ver pt and is perfect to give me a little bit of Disney money.

  2. Poohbug

    Poohbug Sherlocked

    Oct 26, 2006
    I am thinking you need the ID for the I-9 form. In that case you could use your DL and a birth certificate or you could use a passport. In any case, they may let you use a certified birth certificate in lieu of the SS card.
  3. Avatar


    to hide this advert.
  4. kellyg403

    kellyg403 <font color=green>She changes friends like she cha

    Aug 20, 2005
    I had lost my ss card and then wanted to change the name on it after my divorce was final. When I went to SS I asked if there was anything they could give me that would show it was my number etc. They had this form they gave me at the time.

    Last month when I went back to work, I realized that I had lost my ss card AGAIN. The workplace took my driver's license and my birth certificate as forms of identification. They used the number off the b.c. for the I-9 form (I think that is what the form was).

    Hope that helps some!

  5. Arielle22

    Arielle22 <font color=red>We have had spirits<br><font color

    Aug 6, 2000
    The I-9 requires a pciture ID and proof that you are eligible to work in the US. The company cannot dictate which IDs to use although the company can request your social security card to ensure the name you are paid under matches the name on your card.

    This is the link to the I-9 form. The 4th page lists the documents you can use. You need either 1 item from list A or an item each from B and C.

  6. Inigo

    Inigo DIS Veteran

    Jun 24, 2008
    I had to get a replacement SS card for DD, and since she is 17, I had to take her and her birth certificate with me to the local office. (If she was 16, I think I could have just taken her birth certificate and left her at home. Why she had to go with me because of being 17, I don't know. It's not like she's an adult yet. But I digress.)

    Anyway, I was given a printout that had her SSN on it, and they mailed the replacement card. I think it took like a week or so to get the actual card in hand. Hopefully the employer will accept that printout.
  7. Princess April

    Princess April DIS Veteran

    Sep 4, 2007
    The pp was correct in the fact that you can present the "receipt" as we call it for the I9. And as many pp's stated you can bring other items to fill out the I9 form, but the employer may want to verify your SS#, understandable, and they should accept the receipt until you get your new card in the mail. Good Luck!!!!
  8. jltwdw

    jltwdw Mouseketeer

    Nov 22, 2004
    I was once allowed to use my previous year's tax info to show proof of my SS# when I couldn't find it (along w/ DL).

    Those cards are like socks in the dryer!
  9. Cheshire Figment

    Cheshire Figment <font color=red><marquee behavior=alternate>Friend

    Jan 12, 2001
    And just to stir the pot a bit, the SS Card states on it "For Social Security Purposes Only. Not For Identification." They can ask to see the SS Card for proof of SSN, but not for identification.
  10. seashoreCM

    seashoreCM All around nice guy.

    Aug 25, 2001
    >>> not for identification
    Businesses can try to use it for identification at their own risk.

    >>> socks in the dryer
    Often it is quicker to order a new one rather than ransack the house trying to find the old one. Sooner or later you have several and then they should turn up reasonably frequently. Oh yes, when you buy socks, buy a large quantity all the same so finding two alike will be easy.
  11. Crystal824

    Crystal824 DIS Veteran

    Feb 23, 2008
    If you go to the office to request a new one, the office can give you a print out that is signed by the SS office that states it is proof of your ss number.

    GOOFY4DONALD DH finished his plate at 50's Prime Time. They wer

    Aug 22, 2006
    Thank you everyone. I went down today and they gave me a printout. She said it should be all they need...thanks, again

Share This Page